Happy with 1.1.1 but......

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I'm happy with the features that we got but disappointed in what we didn't get. What are your thoughts?
I haven't updated, what features did you get? Gizmodo said it was only a more responsive UI, especially when going from landscape to portrait.. and a possible fix for early screen problems.

Nevermind: found the info on Apple website.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/softwareupdate_large.html

Wifi iTunes store access
iTunes ringtone maker
Double Clicking Home Button brings up favorites or controls if you are listening to a song.
Double tapping spacebar give period and line end
Connecting your iPhone to TV
Better control of email attachments
Receiver and speakerphone louder
alert volumes match ringer volume
can turn off edge for traveling internationally.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I haven't updated, what features did you get? Gizmodo said it was only a more responsive UI, especially when going from landscape to portrait.. and a possible fix for early screen problems.
I like the double click home button and double click space bar for ". ". The iTunes button is ok but I only see myself using once or twice a year. I really had high hopes that we would have gotten more.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I like the double click home button and double click space bar for ". ". The iTunes button is ok but I only see myself using once or twice a year. I really had high hopes that we would have gotten more.
"hope is a decieving, it spreads like a cancer"---that's a line from the band EMERY, which you can download off the new wifi iTunes :p

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Ironically, while they increased the speaker volume, they did NOTHING for the ringtone (and now other alerts) volume! Default ring at max volume, no change at all.

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
More things in version 1.1.1

While 1.1.1 doesn't have the international keyboard button shown in the London press event for the iPhone, it does have international characters you can use: Hold down some of the keys, like the A or E and some punctuation keys like the ? or ! keys to get the alternate langauge look of those characters.

Don't tell anybody, though, that when you go to the trouble of selecting the upsidedown exclamation point, what you get looks exactly the same as if you simply typed in a lowercase letter I ( like this: i )

And here's something I sent to David Pogue which he liked:

In the version 1.1.1 of iPhone there is a new feature which I find funny...

In Settings >> Safari >> Developer it explains that when set to On the "Debug Console will automatically appear to help resolve web page errors." :laugh2:

Emphasis mine, as in it will only appear to help. :p

Sep 19, 2007
Well, I for one am having disastorous results. I haven't modded, hacked, unlocked, or tampered with my iPhone in any shape, form or fashion and this update bricked my phone of a month old.

I'm furious and two steps away from purchasing another thinkpad and abandoning any idea of the macbook.

I haven't updated iTunes since the 7.4.1 release because none of the update explanation seemed to really make much difference. Like today was to do with ipod touch. I don't own one, so I didn't bother to update. But I'm updating now and hopefully trying to restore my iPhone. It gets to a certain point and stops. Maybe this will fix it. Next comes a phone call to Apple.

After that... Grrrr. I'm not happy. :mad::mad::mad:

Edit to Add: Well, I knew iPhone liked a current version of iTunes but I didn't know it demanded the absolute most recent version of iTunes. I updated iTunes from 7.4.1 to 7.4.3, restored and reactivated (which it requested I do) and we're back. I'm not livid any longer, but I'm not exactly thrilled that I went through all of that just because I'm running a version less than three weeks old.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

Nevermind: found the info on Apple website.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/softwareupdate_large.html

Wifi iTunes store access
iTunes ringtone maker
Double Clicking Home Button brings up favorites or controls if you are listening to a song.
Double tapping spacebar give period and line end
Connecting your iPhone to TV
Better control of email attachments
Receiver and speakerphone louder
alert volumes match ringer volume
can turn off edge for traveling internationally.
Seems like a fairly decent update, wouldn't you say?

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
also added, missing out of the feature list is .mp3 and .wav support from email attachments.... at least according to boygenius.com

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
also added, missing out of the feature list is .mp3 and .wav support from email attachments.... at least according to boygenius.com
Yes, MP3 email attachments work perfectly when opened from Email. They play in Quicktime though, so don't seem to integrate with the iPod function. (as far as I can see).

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Also I know this feature was already out, but I just tried it today, all of the Microsoft Office 2007 formats open .docx and stuff from mail attachments. Neato!

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
Yes, MP3 email attachments work perfectly when opened from Email. They play in Quicktime though, so don't seem to integrate with the iPod function. (as far as I can see).
Thats great, my friends is always sending me songs that I've had to wait to get home to listen to. Even if we can't move them to the iPod, I am sure once the hacks get figured out, we'll have the option