Happy with Apples stance.

heybud71789

Jul 9, 2007
That 0.55% is the percentage of people that Steve Jobs said complained about the issue. The 1.7 million is the number of iPhones sold in the first weekend of its release. I never said 1.7 million people called in...
He's one of the non-math people.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm not impressed.

Four of us where I work and we all get the death grip. Three to four bars normally, goes down to 'Searching...' when we hold our phones with our left hand.

Oh, and none of us called Apple Care. You don't call tech support when you already know they aren't going to help you.

*edit*
And I don't want some ugly case on my phone.

njdevils1986

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Tinton Falls, NJ
I don't know how far the signal can travel. I have a 1 story house but it is pretty large. It is at least 80' to my bedroom from my Studio and my signal will go down to 2 bars in there... but it works so I have no complaints. Router is in my husband's office (next to mine) and is connected to a satellite so it cannot be moved to a move central location. Micro Cell has to be within 3' of a window and more than 1' from router. It is connected via ethernet cable that is about 8', although I did not measure it. It seems to me that signal issues should be taken up with AT&T.
One thing I did notice with my iPhone 4 was when I had 5 bars (microcell) as I was talking to someone all of a sudden they sounded all muffled! I mean I could only understand every other word! After I returned the 4, I can't duplicate that problem with my 3GS.
Must be the way I was HOLDING it! LMAO!

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
One thing I did notice with my iPhone 4 was when I had 5 bars (microcell) as I was talking to someone all of a sudden they sounded all muffled! I mean I could only understand every other word! After I returned the 4, I can't duplicate that problem with my 3GS.
Must be the way I was HOLDING it! LMAO!
We're having similar "muffled voice" problems with Bluetooth.

Also, I was talking to my brother yesterday (we were both using our iPhone 4s) and he had my voice coming through the speaker. He said that my voice was muffled.

Curiouser and curiouser...

njdevils1986

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Tinton Falls, NJ

Also, I was talking to my brother yesterday (we were both using our iPhone 4s) and he had my voice coming through the speaker. He said that my voice was muffled.

Interesting! I wish I could have held onto (no pun intended) my iPhone 4 a little longer but I panicked and returned it! I thought I was using AT&T's 3G over the internet, I know my bluetooth indicator was not lit during the calls.

VIPRKLR

Jun 25, 2009
Ohio
Apples Stance

I have not had any problems with reception with my iPhone 4 since I got it two weeks ago. If anything, I think it's better thant the 3G. FWIW.

Renn27

Bronze
Jun 18, 2010
San Diego, Ca

Hm....lately when I'm using my bluetooth stereo in my car, it'll be working just fine and then all of a sudden I can't hear them, at all. But they can still hear me. Probably something in my stereo :-(

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Bravo Apple. I liked the tone they struck with this meeting. Since there isn't a whole lotta discussion about it in this thread I guess most others were ok with it too.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't present a better option for a solution than the bumper nonetheless, and I doubt we got the whole story. As an engineer myself I know how complicated these things can be when messy data is involved and to get the full, full story might have taken hours and left confusion. I'm sure the whole thing isn't quite as simple as they made it sound, but they probably told us what we needed to hear. I wouldn't be surprised if they do manage to make improvements in the future. For example, what is the effect of a thin nonconductive coating on the antenna? Yeah, there will be improvements, but no recall. You bought what you bought and you can take it back if you don't like it. And yeah, next years phone will be better, just like always. Myself, I love my iPhone 4, reception issues and all.

njdevils1986

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Tinton Falls, NJ
Bravo Apple. I liked the tone they struck with this meeting. Since there isn't a whole lotta discussion about it in this thread I guess most others were ok with it too.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't present a better option for a solution than the bumper nonetheless, and I doubt we got the whole story. As an engineer myself I know how complicated these things can be when messy data is involved and to get the full, full story might have taken hours and left confusion. I'm sure the whole thing isn't quite as simple as they made it sound, but they probably told us what we needed to hear. I wouldn't be surprised if they do manage to make improvements in the future. For example, what is the effect of a thin nonconductive coating on the antenna? Yeah, there will be improvements, but no recall. You bought what you bought and you can take it back if you don't like it. And yeah, next years phone will be better, just like always.
Personally, I think people are just used to Jobs and his arrogant attitude! It's funny how some people in this forum predicted almost verbatum what he was going to say! Too funny!

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Personally, I think people are just used to Jobs and his arrogant attitude! It's funny how some people in this forum predicted almost verbatum what he was going to say! Too funny!
I missed something. How was his attitude arrogant? My last few sentences were me talking - that is just my take on reality - Steve could have said that, but was much less arrogant. And if he had been folks would have been tearing him apart right now. But they aren't, because he didn't give them the ammunition. Good for him.

njdevils1986

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Tinton Falls, NJ
I missed something. How was his attitude arrogant? My last few sentences were me talking - that is just my take on reality - Steve could have said that, but was much less arrogant. And if he had been folks would have been tearing him apart right now. But they aren't, because he didn't give them the ammunition. Good for him.
I felt Apple could have really separated themselves from their "God Almighty" reputation and made the right stance! This is only my opinion, when Jobs took the stage and started out with "the media is kind of blowing this out of proportion"...what's that?
Where I come from, sounds like arrogance to me...take "some" responsibility for your product's short comings. I know if I talked to my clients the way Jobs comes across to his "users" I would be out of businesss!

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Oops, looks like I'm posting in the wrong thread. All the venom is over in the original press conference thread. Have at it boys, you will end up with the same options when you're done ranting.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I felt Apple could have really separated themselves from their "God Almighty" reputation and made the right stance! This is only my opinion, when Jobs took the stage and started out with "the media is kind of blowing this out of proportion"...what's that?
Where I come from, sounds like arrogance to me...take "some" responsibility for your product's short comings. I know if I talked to my clients the way Jobs comes across to his "users" I would be out of businesss!
I agree with him. They are blowing it out of proportion. While his numbers don't tell the whole story, they tell some of it, and they support him.

Hell, a freaking congressman jumped into the fray this week. What more evidence do you need that this is political and self-serving?

What part of "we're not perfect" and "we make mistakes" is not taking responsibility? Oh, and giving away cases at their expense?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Four of us where I work and we all get the death grip. Three to four bars normally, goes down to 'Searching...' when we hold our phones with our left hand.
How many of you still have the problem of "searching" after applying 4.0.1? I am not absolutely certain, but the anandtech article implied that there IS a change to the "no signal" point. It used to be -113db but now is -122.

Saints

Bronze
Jul 24, 2009
New Orleans
What exactly would you like Apple to do? I`m sorry, but you seem pretty bitter. I guess I am one of the lucky ones because I do not have any problems with my phone and I have great reception from AT&T in my area. Not everyone has problems with the phone and to the ones that do I do sympathize, but you can not expect Apple to do a full recall when not everyone has an issue. I think the conference went pretty well and Apple did all that they can do, they laid out your options for you.

1) If you are unhappy with the phone you have an extra 30 days to take it back for a full refund without a restocking fee.

2) Get a free case or get compensated if you already purchased one from Apple and see if your signal improves.

What more could you ask for? It is not Apples fault if you are trying to use a phone in an area that you do not have adequate provider coverage in.