Haptic Feedback

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Why is it such a big deal to people? I for one think it would take away from the iPhone experience.

Think about how much you touch it! Every time you scroll from Home Screen to Home Screen, every time you scroll down or up a web page, every time you hit a link, pinch in on a picture, pinch out on a picture... I think it would get really old, really fast.

Then again, I suppose having an option to turn it on or off might be best. But don't you think that would take a toll on the vibration system? Maybe it would interfere with the accelerometer? Maybe I'm just retarded.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Haptic feedback is a big deal to some. I agree with you though, I think it would get old pretty fast. However, I am sure that many would disagree.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Why is it such a big deal to people? I for one think it would take away from the iPhone experience.

Think about how much you touch it! Every time you scroll from Home Screen to Home Screen, every time you scroll down or up a web page, every time you hit a link, pinch in on a picture, pinch out on a picture... I think it would get really old, really fast.

Then again, I suppose having an option to turn it on or off might be best. But don't you think that would take a toll on the vibration system? Maybe it would interfere with the accelerometer? Maybe I'm just retarded.
I tried the Samsung Instinct and the hactic feedback drove me insane. That and it wasn't even close to what I need in a smartphone.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think smartphone developers only insert Haptic feedback into their touchscreen phones because they know their touchscreen's arent as responsive as the iPhones:p
-So they put Haptic feedback into their devices so that the user doesn't break the phone because of slow responsiveness of a phone

H

Hayesimus

I hate trying to teach people how to use the iPhone's touchscreen. They try to attack it with their finger! I'm like CHILL! Just touch it. You don't have to hurt yourself! And haptic feedback seems retarded to me. I'd never want it.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I hate trying to teach people how to use the iPhone's touchscreen. They try to attack it with their finger! I'm like CHILL! Just touch it. You don't have to hurt yourself! And haptic feedback seems retarded to me. I'd never want it.
I KNOW MAN!:p
-People(Atleast when I used to let people see my iPhone lol) would hold my phone and seem to like mash their finger into the screen haha!
-I would also notice that they're not used to a touchscreen phone having as an responsive screen than the iPhone, because many people would double or even triple tap everytime they would touch an option that because they're touchscreen phones would require that much hitting to get it to work:p

One thing I love about the iPhone is that it having a glass screen the user only has to barely tap the screen for it to register a touch:cool:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My friend's Instinct had haptic feedback and it was the most annoying thing ever. I know where I'm touching the screen, I don't need some little pseudo-click to tell me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Haptic feedback, clicking screens.... they're all crutches.

As soon as a human being can learn to properly use a touchscreen without crutches, they will be allowed to enter the 21st century.

H

Hayesimus

Opposable thumbs...

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I KNOW MAN!:p
-People(Atleast when I used to let people see my iPhone lol) would hold my phone and seem to like mash their finger into the screen haha!
-I would also notice that they're not used to a touchscreen phone having as an responsive screen than the iPhone, because many people would double or even triple tap everytime they would touch an option that because they're touchscreen phones would require that much hitting to get it to work:p

One thing I love about the iPhone is that it having a glass screen the user only has to barely tap the screen for it to register a touch:cool:
I'm pretty sure all of that screen mashing is thanks to the resistive membrane screens that almost ALL of the touch screen phones today are utilizing. The only phones I've seen that use capacitive touch screens are the iPhone and the G1. I'm not completely sure, but I think I read somewhere that capacitive screens respond to the electricity in your body instead of pressure. That's why it's so awesome!:p

Not that I really have a clue what I'm talking about, just thinking out loud.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well I'd say the mashers will at least get better results in the real world. Since owning the iPhone, I'm feather-touching all touchscreens out there, with disappointing performance on the majority of systems.

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I've been wondering why the majority of touch screens are resistive instead of capacitive. Are capacitive screens a lot more expensive, or maybe harder to program with?

Not that I really have a clue what I'm talking about, just thinking out loud. :p

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
what's haptic feedback?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Samsung using haptic feedback and Apple using haptic feedback are two different animals. I think if done correctly, I'd welcome an option to turn on haptic feedback on the next gen iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
what's haptic feedback?
Haptic technology refers to technology that interfaces to the user via the sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations and/or motions to the user.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm one of those guys who HATED the shaking video game controllers. So, I'm sure you know about how I feel about haptic feedback...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm glad all of you enlightened me on Haptic Feedback. All this time I was thinking it is what happens when you eat spicy food before going to bed :)..Mark

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Haptic technology refers to technology that interfaces to the user via the sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations and/or motions to the user.
Smokey, that's tech talk for "it vibrates when you touch it."

:laugh2: