Hard Drive Failure! What about my iPhone/iTunes?

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Hi Everyone,Well she bit the dust!Hard drive failed on my laptop...and now I have to reinstall everything on a new drive!What happens now with my iPhone and iTunes? Since it is all gone what should I do? Will the iPhone dump all the apps/songs/photos to iTunes?OMG...I should have had an external HDD...well at least I wont make this mistake twice!Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!Thanks!

Hi Everyone,Well she bit the dust!Hard drive failed on my laptop...and now I have to reinstall everything on a new drive!What happens now with my iPhone and iTunes? Since it is all gone what should I do? Will the iPhone dump all the apps/songs/photos to iTunes?OMG...I should have had an external HDD...well at least I wont make this mistake twice!Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!Thanks!
There's a bunch of commercially available software that will let you copy from your iPhone to your new drive.

I use Tansee (www.tansee.com) and have had good luck with it. And it's only like 20 bucks. :)

Good luck!

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Woof....I have to purchase Software? Certainly this happens to folks...what happens if I just install a new copy of iTunes on the new HDD?

Woof....I have to purchase Software? Certainly this happens to folks...what happens if I just install a new copy of iTunes on the new HDD?
When you hook the iPhone to your laptop and sync to iTunes, it will pop up a warning that it is already synced to another library. Then will ask you to cancel, or "Erase and Sync". It won't transfer your music, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if there is a free version of something out there. I would do some googling and hold off on syncing until you find something you can use.

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Not really concerned about the music I suppose....I will just have to transfer it back onto the phone...gonna stink reading all the CD's though....Guess I found out what I will be doing this weekend....LOL

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
Had a similar thing happen a week ago. Lucky I have a backup drive. I swapped the HD, put in the Leopard install disk and selected Time Machine Backup and *poof!* 2 hours later it was like it never happened.

Jul 15, 2008
Tracy, CA
When you install iTunes you can sing into you account and then you can re-download all that apps. Even if the hard drive failed there are ways to get the information off of it.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
It's a pity Apple doesn't come out with software to restore your pc from you iPhone (read free), my hard drive failed about a month ago and I lost everything. I thought about downloading a program like Tansee but couldn't see paying $20.00 for a program I was only going to use once. Fortunately I periodically back up EVERYTHING to my external HD and had 99% of mp3's saved. Even though I had just about every one of my songs backed up I still had to go in and personalize my library which seems like it took forever, major PIA.