Hard drive transfer

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
I recently bought an iMac and I have a media player that was formatted to my PC. Now I'm transferring the movies from my media player to my iMac but when I highlight all my movies on one hit it says not enough room on hard drive so I have to move the movies in section. Does anyone know why it does that because my internal hard drive is 500gb. Please help

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Launch Finder and look at the bottom of one of the Windows and see how much spare room you have on your HDD.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I haven't tried that. I also tried transferring from my media player to my other hard drive and it keeps stopping only does about 40 movies at a time.
That may be why then, you could be transferring too much at once. Copy and paste 10 movies at a time and see how you get on.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You should be able to copy as much as you want without problems.

Firstly, there's a chance that the drive itself (in the media player) is failing, which can definitely cause all kinds of read/write problems.

Second thing that comes to mind is maybe some bizarre NTFS file system errors that your mac is having trouble with. If you are relatively certain your hard drive is not failing, and you still have a windows computer handy, you may want to try running chkdsk on the drive in question. Go to "My Computer", right click on the drive in question, properties, Tools, error checking... let it do its magic and try the transfer again.