Hard Reset?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
Is there a hard reset for the phone? Mine just froze and nothing on the screen will work. I tried holding down the sleep button but nothing. I'll probably just take it to the Apple store if anything...

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
first, just hold the Home button for about 6 seconds. If that is unsuccessful in force quitting the stuck application, then a hard reset can be done by holding your sleep/wake button and your home button together for about 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

These simple troubleshooting steps are in Apple's online support database, I suggest everyone BOOKMARK THIS SUPPORT DOCUMENT:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305740

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Every time I do a hard reset my home screen wallpaper and ringtones go back to default settings. WTF is up with that.

May 22, 2010
Same here, with 4.1 only. Looks like it's gone though.
I didn't restored and I don't made anything special.
Good luck.

imotionb18

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Houston, Tx
Humm. My phone just did this. I had to restart it a little while ago. Everything reset. I had my name in the place of the Att carrier logo and that reset too. That's the first time it's ever happened to me. I'm on 4.0.1.

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
This has happened to me atleast 3 times in the last 2 weeks. After I do a hard reset and I scroll to unlock, my springboard goes back to default. All of my apps are there, but I get the "To Move Icons, click and Hold" which is the message you usually only ever get when you first receive your iPhone or you restore as New. Also it changes my Messages and Ring Tones back to default as well as brightness. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What causes this? I tried doing a search for this, but came up with nothing. :(

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
By hard reset, you mean powering off the iPhone and then turning it back on?

This sounds like the behavior of the "Reset All Settings" button, but I haven't heard of a power cycle causing it.

Are you jailbroken?

Have you tried restoring the phone?

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
By hard reset, you mean powering off the iPhone and then turning it back on?

This sounds like the behavior of the "Reset All Settings" button, but I haven't heard of a power cycle causing it.

Are you jailbroken?

Have you tried restoring the phone?
I hold in the Lock/Home button until the Apple reappears. It doesn't happen every time I hard reset, but as I said it's happened so far 3 times in the last 2 weeks. :( And it's quite a pain to have to change everything again.

Not jailbroken, I restored a little over a week ago and set up as new.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
This sounds like a hardware issue, perhaps the iPhone equivalent of a forgetful CMOS memory. As far as I know, these settings are actually stored on the flash, same as your data, so if this is somehow getting corrupted, then your iPhone may have a bad flash drive.

Are you near an Apple store? If so, set up a Genius Bar appointment at http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ and take it in. Describe what's going on with it and see if they can run some diagnostics or swap it out for you.

Are you performing the hard reset in response to lockups or slowness? If so, it might be a better idea to use the power cycle instead, as doing the home/sleep way could be causing it to corrupt some data. In any case, the underlying cause might still warrant being looked at by Apple

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks Fury, I appreciate your quick help and reply.

When you say use the power cycle instead, do you mean just turn it off and then back on, without holding down the home button?

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
I contacted Apple Support and they suggested I do another restore and if that doesn't fix the issue that they can do a hardware repair for me (I have Apple Care). Not sure how that's going to fix it considering I've already done a restore both times that it happened to me. And it obviously didn't fix the issue. I have an appt @ the Genius Bar, I was going to cancel and just do what he says, but I am tempted to just go to the appt and see what they can do.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
If the store isn't too far out your way, I would also keep the appointment and see what the genius says.
If it's hardware, they may just replace it for you on the spot.
Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Elcampnou

Jul 24, 2010
I had that pop-up too just yesterday. Thought it was odd but thought nothing more of it. Didn't notice the sound settings as my iPhone's on silent mostly. But just checked & they're back to defaults... Let us know how you get on with yours please. Thanks

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Thanks Fury, I appreciate your quick help and reply.

When you say use the power cycle instead, do you mean just turn it off and then back on, without holding down the home button?
Yes, this is a more graceful style of reboot. Hard reset is basically cutting the system off no matter what it's doing, which should only be done if you can't get the "slide to power off" slider to show.

I still believe this random defaulting shouldn't be happening, though, so see what the genius bar says and let us know how it turns out.

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
Yes, this is a more graceful style of reboot. Hard reset is basically cutting the system off no matter what it's doing, which should only be done if you can't get the "slide to power off" slider to show.

I still believe this random defaulting shouldn't be happening, though, so see what the genius bar says and let us know how it turns out.
Well I took it down to the Genius bar and they did a diagnostics on it and found that an App was causing it to do that (Tweet Deck), which I found to be odd. So he ended up reinstalling the Apple firmware and according to him I should be ok now.

Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated. :D