Has Anybody Addressed This Question Before ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 5, 2007
NYC
hi u guys ... i was given an iPhone as a birthday present but i have a few questions to address before i start using my iPhone ... please help me answer them ... thank u so much in advance:

1. Can i use the features on my new iPhone without being enrolled to an AT&T wireless plan or do i have to jailbreak it first ? (can i just sync it to my computer and start using it as an ipod touch? let's say i just wanna use it as a regular ipod)

2. Do i need an AT&T sim card in order to use the features (camera, music, contacts, calendar, etc) on my iPhone ?

The reason im asking these questions is because my iPhone is still new in box and i wanted to know some things before starting to unwrap the box .... if u know the answer to any of my questions please reply or post any suggestions ...Thanks

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
hi u guys ... i was given an iPhone as a birthday present but i have a few questions to address before i start using my iPhone ... please help me answer them ... thank u so much in advance:

1. Can i use the features on my new iPhone without being enrolled to an AT&T wireless plan or do i have to jailbreak it first ? (can i just sync it to my computer and start using it as an ipod touch? let's say i just wanna use it as a regular ipod)

2. Do i need an AT&T sim card in order to use the features (camera, music, contacts, calendar, etc) on my iPhone ?

The reason im asking these questions is because my iPhone is still new in box and i wanted to know some things before starting to unwrap the box .... if u know the answer to any of my questions please reply or post any suggestions ...Thanks

To answer the Title question, yes. But here you go for the rest.
1. No, you cannot use the iPhone as just an iPod unless you jailbreak it and such first.
2. If you jailbreak the phone and then unlock it, you can use a T-Mobile sim card instead of AT&T, but otherwise, no.

If you want to just have the functionality of the iPod Touch then I suggest seling your unopened iPhone on ebay and getting a Touch instead, especially if you don't want to deal with unlocking and such.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007

Honestly, if you don't' want to use it as a phone you're better off exchanging it for an iPod Touch.

You cannot do anything with it unless you activate with AT&T first... if you decide to mod or hack it, you could risk your ability to return it, or it working properly. That's the "official" stance from Apple.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
hmm.
this would put me in a delimma.

first of all, i wouldn't buy the iPod touch. to me it as a HUGE waste of money since 160gig classics are only $349 and i love music.

i mean, it's really what you want, but that's just my standpoint on it.

and my point could totally be crap if you already have an iPod

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
the thing is i already have an ipod touch 16gb.... and since this iPhone was a birthday present i don't think i can return it ...

Ohh, well that is a sticky situation then. If you really don't want to sign on with AT&T and you don't want to jailbreak the phone and mod it yourself, then the only thing I would recommend is selling it via ebay or the Martketplace Forum on EIP. You could get a 160 gb Classic and have a ridiculous amount of storage space along with the joys of the iPod Touch.

Oct 5, 2007
NYC
Ohh, well that is a sticky situation then. If you really don't want to sign on with AT&T and you don't want to jailbreak the phone and mod it yourself, then the only thing I would recommend is selling it via ebay or the Martketplace Forum on EIP. You could get a 160 gb Classic and have a ridiculous amount of storage space along with the joys of the iPod Touch.
here's wat i wanna do:

sell the ipod touch and jailbreak the iPhone .. i'd rather keep the iPhone ..because it the hottest thing ever .... what software can i use to jailbreak my iPhone? Thanks Youngbinks ....

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
here's wat i wanna do:

sell the ipod touch and jailbreak the iPhone .. i'd rather keep the iPhone ..because it the hottest thing ever .... what software can i use to jailbreak my iPhone? Thanks Youngbinks ....
Well you need to first check and see what firmware you're running. You can check what firmware is preinstalled by going to the emergency call, entering *3001#12345#* then pressing "Call". Under Versions you will find what revision firmware is on the phone out of the box.

03.12.06_G Is firmware 1.0.0
03.14.08_G Is firmware 1.0.1 and 1.02
04.01.13_G Is 1.1.1

After you do that then if you're running 1.0.2 or earlier then you have a free pass to start modding. If you have 1.1.1 then you need to do a few things to get back to 1.02 or earlier.
I'm assuming you're pre-1.1.1 so what you want to do next is get iBrickr (at least that's what I'm telling you to do) from here
http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr
The video is extremely thorough and helpful and if you follow it you can't go wrong.
Once you do that just ask if you need anymore help. :laugh2:

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
here's wat i wanna do:

sell the ipod touch and jailbreak the iPhone .. i'd rather keep the iPhone ..because it the hottest thing ever ....
what about the sun? :p
but yeah, that's what i would do aswell.

and why would someone give you an iPhone if you're not with AT&T?

and WHERE do you get these 'friends' that give away iPhones?! this is like the 10th one i heard received as a birthday present..

Oct 5, 2007
NYC
what about the sun? :p
but yeah, that's what i would do aswell.

and why would someone give you an iPhone if you're not with AT&T?

and WHERE do you get these 'friends' that give away iPhones?! this is like the 10th one i heard received as a birthday present..
back in the days i had AT&T and then i changed to sprint ... apparently my dear and wonderful aunt didn't know this ... (which was great by the way lol ) .... and she got me an iPhone ... dats how everything went down ... i guess im a lil lucky ... lol

Oct 5, 2007
NYC
Well you need to first check and see what firmware you're running. You can check what firmware is preinstalled by going to the emergency call, entering *3001#12345#* then pressing "Call". Under Versions you will find what revision firmware is on the phone out of the box.

04.01.13_G Is 1.1.1

After you do that then if you're running 1.0.2 or earlier then you have a free pass to start modding. If you have 1.1.1 then you need to do a few things to get back to 1.02 or earlier.
I'm assuming you're pre-1.1.1 so what you want to do next is get iBrickr (at least that's what I'm telling you to do) from here
The video is extremely thorough and helpful and if you follow it you can't go wrong.
dude i cant thank u enough for everything u doing right now ! i really appreciate all the help ... imma try to jailbreak my iPhone once i get
home ....hope everything goes well ... Thanks again .... i will post my progress here ....

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
back in the days i had AT&T and then i changed to sprint ... apparently my dear and wonderful aunt didn't know this ... (which was great by the way lol ) .... and she got me an iPhone ... dats how everything went down ... i guess im a lil lucky ... lol

please adopt me into your family..

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well if you're taking on new kids sign me up too. :laugh2: I thoroughly enjoy NYC and I've got the subway system down, after many many wrong stops. The Tube in London is so much easier.

Oct 5, 2007
NYC

04.01.13_G Is 1.1.1

damn ! i made the call and found out that my iPhone is running the 1.1.1 firmware (04.01.13_G) ...... now i guess im gonna have to downgrade my iPhone .... this sucks ....