Has anyone been able to transfer Palm 680 contacts & calendar to iPhone on Mac

novfilms

Jul 18, 2007
i can't seem to find anything that imports both the calendar and contacts from palm to iPhone. on a mac i assume that means syncing to entourage(?) but on my 1st sync i keep getting that i have to change the files themselves to some card or another but i don't see any export on either the palm or the mac that seems to support each other's file requirements. what am i doing wrong?

alan

has anyone successfully done this?

MacDaddy

Jun 24, 2007
Former Treo 680 user on a Mac

I used to use a treo 680, but it has been relegated to a part time GPS navigation tool until Apple makes a GPS solution that works with a Bluetooth GPS dongle and Google Maps (soon I hope). I will also be using my Treo 680 again with a Pay As You Go SIM when I go back to England later this month (because I can't do so with my iPhone :mad:).
I had no problem syncing all my contacts and calendar entries across to my iPhone from my Ti Powerbook using a Belkin USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter. I had previously been syncing my Treo 680 and my Mac using Missing Sync from Markspace, which I found to be the only way to Sync the two efficiently. I'm hoping I have no problems with syncing the Treo 680 again before I take it to England with me.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
If you're using a Mac, it should be as simple as syncing the 680 with your address book and iCal (via iSync) and then, once your Mac's contacts and calendars are up to date, sync with your iPhone.

-K

evolvnyc

Jul 28, 2007
If you're using a Mac, it should be as simple as syncing the 680 with your address book and iCal (via iSync) and then, once your Mac's contacts and calendars are up to date, sync with your iPhone.

-K
But Isync and address book do not support categories, is there a way to do it with categories and to do it from the palm desktop software, in stead of the device (treo)? anyone?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
But Isync and address book do not support categories
True, but the iPhone doesn't support categories either. Contacts are collected in groups, rather than assigned to categories. The groups in your address book will carry over to your iPhone.

Tangent: Unfortunately, and I'm still trying to figure this one, the address book data fields don't map properly to the iPhone's data fields. Closer than a Palm device, but not precisely. Plus, you have only one flex field on the iPhone (eg: if you assign it to a note, you can't then set up a field for Spose Name or some such).

-K

evolvnyc

Jul 28, 2007
True, but the iPhone doesn't support categories either. Contacts are collected in groups, rather than assigned to categories. The groups in your address book will carry over to your iPhone.

Tangent: Unfortunately, and I'm still trying to figure this one, the address book data fields don't map properly to the iPhone's data fields. Closer than a Palm device, but not precisely. Plus, you have only one flex field on the iPhone (eg: if you assign it to a note, you can't then set up a field for Spose Name or some such).

-K
Is this the same problem if the iPhone is synced to entourage? or only in address book?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Not familiar with field mapping in Entourage.
You may want to read here or check out this thread.

As you your original question, you're talking about using vCards to transfer contact data. It's a standard data format that nearly every PIM applination uses. In Address Book, for example, go to the File menu and you'll see the options to import or export your data (single group or entire contacts list) to a vCard file. Palm Desktop must have the same thing somewhere. After you export your data to a vCard, import the vCard into Address Book and you should be good.

-K

Last edited by a moderator:

vanslam

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007

-K
This worked for my Treo 600 also.