Has Anyone bought Apple Care for their iPhone?

Do you have Apple Care for your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Has Anyone bought Apple Care for their iPhone?
I did, due that I was told I could transfer it to the new iPhone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I didn't because of the fact that I have an PAP through State Farm which is better than Apple Care and I didn't plan on keeping the device for that long.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't buy extended warranties of any kind. The only people that come out on top with these are the people that sell them and the ones that underwrite them.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
have you already registered the Applecare plan with your current iPhone? if so, it CANNOT be transferred to another device. once the extended Applecare warranty is registered with a specific device, it is permanently tied to that device (by serial number). you can transfer the warranty with the device (e.g., if you sell your iPhone, the extended Applecare warranty transfers with it to the new owner), but you can't separate the warranty from the device once it's been registered.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
have you already registered the Applecare plan with your current iPhone? if so, it CANNOT be transferred to another device. once the extended Applecare warranty is registered with a specific device, it is permanently tied to that device (by serial number). you can transfer the warranty with the device (e.g., if you sell your iPhone, the extended Applecare warranty transfers with it to the new owner), but you can't separate the warranty from the device once it's been registered.
REALLY....
I specifically ask the salesperson if it could be transferred to the new iPhone he said yes. That lying SOB or misinformed person. Or I misunderstood.
That's cool, any problems though, it's off to the Apple store for a trade in.
Thanks for the info.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
REALLY....
I specifically ask the salesperson if it could be transferred to the new iPhone he said yes. That lying SOB or misinformed person. Or I misunderstood.
That's cool, any problems though, it's off to the Apple store for a trade in.
Thanks for the info.
no problem. was it an Apple salesperson? if so, that's really a shame they got that wrong! :mad:

to answer your original post, i did buy the Applecare warranty for my iPhone, but i haven't registered it yet - i wanted to see if i was going to end up keeping the iPhone for a long time. at this point, since i plan on buying the 3G version, i'm going to wait and register my Applecare warranty with that new iPhone instead since it will be my primary phone from then on. i have no plans to sell my first generation iPhone - i'll probably end up keeping it since i have more sentimental value attached to it than i expected...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
being that i deal with broken electronics every day, i usually always buy extended warranties. This is no exception.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Some extended warranty programs really suck, and should be avoided. However, the extended warranty for the iPhone is one of the best warranties out there. Simply because you can bring you phone in and have it replaced for free. They don't do like Sprint or Verizon and leave you without a wroking phone for 3 or 4 days. I haven't heard anyone complain about the warranty service that comes with the iPhone out of the box, so why would anyone complain about extending that same service for another year for $69?

Best Buy extended warranties should be purchased any time you buy a computer or PSP. I have had to have 4 laptops replaced in the past 4 years from Best Buy. In addition, I added the extended warranty on my PSP. PSP's don't get fixed at Best Buy, they just get replaced. So if you break the on/off switch or something, they just give you another one. Simple.

Other than expensive electronics, I don't buy extended warranties for things like my car, truck, fridge, or stuff like that.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it extends the standard warranty by one year... i think it also gets you additional over-the-phone support.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
So its not really "worth-it"
-"phone support", additional phone support? What, are they like with holdong information to callers who arent covered by Apple care :p

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I bought it because at this point I plan on passing my first gen iPhone down to my son. Sooner or later those batteries are going to stop working, and if that happens before 6/29/09, then Apple will fix it for free with an AppleCare program.