Has Anyone Considered Selling On eBay?

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
its getting VERY tempting for me. i have an 8gb black, and some of them are going for $650-$1000! i am extremely tempted to put my up tonight for a 24hr sale, then take the money, upgrade to a 16gb when i can track one down and keep the rest as a profit. i really don't see how it could fail!

Jstick

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
then do it. i was checking out eBay too, its insane. if you feel that you will get more than what you paid for, i don't see why not. just don't get scammed.

set your account to only accept paypal verified etc.

:cool:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Also don't forget about the ETF that you will need to pay. Assuming you got the phone for $199+$175 (ETF)+$399 (cost of new iPhone unsibsidized)= $773 + Taxes. Just make sure you don't get less than say, $827.11 (with 7% sales tax) for you phone and you should be set.

Oh and I forgot about PayPal fees. Tack on some more for those too.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
why would i pay ETF fees? im not going to cancle the account. i will keep it. i will just pop my sim into an old phone for a few days until i can find a new iPhone 3g from an att store. in which case i will just buy it for the unsibsidized price of 499!

Also don't forget about the ETF that you will need to pay. Assuming you got the phone for $199+$175 (ETF)+$399 (cost of new iPhone unsibsidized)= $773 + Taxes. Just make sure you don't get less than say, $827.11 (with 7% sales tax) for you phone and you should be set.

Oh and I forgot about PayPal fees. Tack on some more for those too.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
why would i pay ETF fees? im not going to cancle the account. i will keep it. i will just pop my sim into an old phone for a few days until i can find a new iPhone 3g from an att store. in which case i will just buy it for the unsibsidized price of 499!
Ah yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. Either way, make sure you don't sell below your own costs and sell only to reputable buyers.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
that makes no sense. it's cheaper to buy the subsidized phone and cancel the account than to buy the unsubsidized phone. 299+175 is only 474.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
that makes no sense. it's cheaper to buy the subsidized phone and cancel the account than to buy the unsubsidized phone. 299+175 is only 474.
PLUS a new activation cost of $36! HA so its actually just easier to see it, keep my account and buy a new one at the UNsubsidized cost.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Ah yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. Either way, make sure you don't sell below your own costs and sell only to reputable buyers.
honestly, i refuse to sell it for less than $650. i figure with $650 i can pay off ebay and paypall fees, ship the phone, and be able to upgrade to a 16g with minimal hassle. if the final bid is less than that i probably wont even sell it and ill just take the strike against my account. because any less than $650 just isn't worth the hassle. and anything more is just cash in my pocket and i get to upgrade to the 16gb

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
PLUS a new activation cost of $36! HA so its actually just easier to see it, keep my account and buy a new one at the UNsubsidized cost.
It depends on your sales tax. New Jersey has 7% sales tax (many states have higher). at 7% its $3 cheaper to buy at 299, cancel for $175, and activate for $36. that comes to 530, where as 499 at 7% is at 533 :-P.

Quite frankly, it seems like a lot of work to make $100. Don't you have something better to do with your time?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
honestly, i refuse to sell it for less than $650. i figure with $650 i can pay off ebay and paypall fees, ship the phone, and be able to upgrade to a 16g with minimal hassle. if the final bid is less than that i probably wont even sell it and ill just take the strike against my account. because any less than $650 just isn't worth the hassle. and anything more is just cash in my pocket and i get to upgrade to the 16gb
Very true. I was actually considering doing the exact same thing once the 32 GB is released. I wanted a 32 GB from the start but obviously it isn't a possibility at this time. I'm thinking there might be a reputable unlock software out by then that could allow me to increase the profit and thus reduce the cost of the 32 GB unsubsidized.

hammer

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008

Put a reserve on it.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
It depends on your sales tax. New Jersey has 7% sales tax (many states have higher). at 7% its $3 cheaper to buy at 299, cancel for $175, and activate for $36. that comes to 530, where as 499 at 7% is at 533 :-P.

Quite frankly, it seems like a lot of work to make $100. Don't you have something better to do with your time?
uhhh.. no i don't have anything better to do.. lol.. nah im at work right now, and saw the ebay prices and started cooking this whole idea up. i really don't see it as a hassle. i listed my phone for sale within 2 minutes. once it sells it will take me one trip to the post office to ship it off. and i have my paypal account all set up so getting the money out and paying all the fees is effortless for me

so all in all. one trip to the post office, and having to wait a couple days for the money to clear and to find my new iPhone. thats seems like a small price to pay to be able to upgrade from a 8gb to a 16gb with the possibility of making a couple hundred extra if i get some good bids.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Is everyone forgetting something? you just bought a subsidized phone. You can't simply walk back into the store and buy another one, until you are eligible for upgrade. So if you sell your phone, you'll have to buy another at $599 (16 gigs).

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
yeah i know. thats what we have been discussing. if i get enough for my phone i don't mind paying the unsubsidized price of 399(8gb), or 499*(16gb).. thats why i have been saying i want to get at least $650 for it

Is everyone forgetting something? you just bought a subsidized phone. You can't simply walk back into the store and buy another one, until you are eligible for upgrade. So if you sell your phone, you'll have to buy another at $599 (16 gigs).