Has anyone else SCRATCHED their 3G's glass screen?

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
I sure have! And I never expected it! I am 100% careful with my products, I have the invisiblesheild on the back and I knew the front was scratch resistant from videos and the first iPhone. However, my iPhone 3g has many little scratches on the front from normal everyday things, like I think I have put my keys in my pocket with it maybe 5 times, not a good idea. Please tell me others have this problem, if not, take a look at your phone to make sure!

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
have you tried a good cleaning with the micro-fiber cloth? try using a little drop of windex (totally safe, it tells you to do this in the instructions for screen protectors).

I'm only suggesting this based on personal experiences where I have looked at my screen and seen what I thought were scratches and even after a quick wipedown with the microfiber they were still there, but if I added a tiny drop of windex and some elbow grease they came right off.

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
have you tried a good cleaning with the micro-fiber cloth? try using a little drop of windex (totally safe, it tells you to do this in the instructions for screen protectors).

I'm only suggesting this based on personal experiences where I have looked at my screen and seen what I thought were scratches and even after a quick wipedown with the microfiber they were still there, but if I added a tiny drop of windex and some elbow grease they came right off.
yes, I have not used windex yet but I have cleaned a lot with a cloth and these are deffinetly scratches..:(..I don't know what to do.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Glass can always scratch....it isn't super glass or anything. It might be somewhat resistant, but it aint perfect.

Go buy yourself some scratch cleaner, then get InvisibleShield for the glass. Trust me. Worth It.

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Glass can always scratch....it isn't super glass or anything. It might be somewhat resistant, but it aint perfect.

Go buy yourself some scratch cleaner, then get InvisibleShield for the glass. Trust me. Worth It.
Well I actually put the invisiblesheild on today lol....however I put it on the front of my iPhone 3g and when I turn the phone on and go to a full white screen, I can see a small hair and other parts of it are not clear, some I can see right through, but others have like a water stain or something on it. Did I not do it right? Is anyone's invisiblesheild completely see-through? If I pull it up and re-apply it do y'all think I can do that or will it ruin the shield? Please help

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I've got a couple nasty scratches on my 3g screen already. I never had a scratch on the screen of my 1st gen iPhone. I take pretty good care of my phones but the 1st one, even after a few drops didn't get a scratch. I'm thinking this one got scratched by a quarter or something in my pocket.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The hair will stay there forever. It will haunt you for the rest of your life ;) The water marks will slowly go away over the next few days. My Invisible Shield is perfect. I had one thread under the shield when I was installing it, but I managed to get it out. Took about 5 minutes to take off, but spraying the shield really helped.

If your shield has not fully dried, then I don't see why you cannot take it off and try again. But once again, use plenty of that liquid that comes with it. When you've got it on perfect, leave it to dry for 24 hours. Do not touch the phone during that time. Just look at it.

Well I actually put the invisiblesheild on today lol....however I put it on the front of my iPhone 3g and when I turn the phone on and go to a full white screen, I can see a small hair and other parts of it are not clear, some I can see right through, but others have like a water stain or something on it. Did I not do it right? Is anyone's invisiblesheild completely see-through? If I pull it up and re-apply it do y'all think I can do that or will it ruin the shield? Please help

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
lol i never put ANYTHING else in my pocket with my phone, im being SUPER careful with it until my invisibleshield arrives, which i just ordered last week. it should be here in about 4 days. anyway...the back of my phone has some tiny scratches on it..i think just from laying it down places and it vibrating on tables and stuff lol they are barely noticeable so i don't mind

but no, my screen is in 100% perfect condition still, and will hopefully stay that way

edit: ravman, u say let the invisible shield sit for 24 hours? that sucks :( what if i don't have another phone to use during that time?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I ended up with more scratches on 3G then my V1. Lucky me I had some stuck pixels and got me a new one (even after the 5foot drop). I bought the shield as I was walking out the door.

Only issue I have is it smudges a lot.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I just followed the instructions on the Invisible Shield's documentation. It says let the shield dry for 24 hours once you have installed it, to let it cure. I didn't mind waiting a day, for something that will protect my phone for the next 12 months (hopefully).

Don't you have like a cheapie phone that you use as a backup? For say when you go out to a club or something?

lol i never put ANYTHING else in my pocket with my phone, im being SUPER careful with it until my invisibleshield arrives, which i just ordered last week. it should be here in about 4 days. anyway...the back of my phone has some tiny scratches on it..i think just from laying it down places and it vibrating on tables and stuff lol they are barely noticeable so i don't mind

but no, my screen is in 100% perfect condition still, and will hopefully stay that way

edit: ravman, u say let the invisible shield sit for 24 hours? that sucks :( what if i don't have another phone to use during that time?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I just followed the instructions on the Invisible Shield's documentation. It says let the shield dry for 24 hours once you have installed it, to let it cure. I didn't mind waiting a day, for something that will protect my phone for the next 12 months (hopefully).

Don't you have like a cheapie phone that you use as a backup? For say when you go out to a club or something?
i do have the phone i had before this iPhone... but some people may not :(

also, if i put this new sim card into my old phone (which is not a smartphone) will i have any contacts? my guess is no...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's pretty rough. I don't use any kind of case or shield or anything and as of yet my glass is scratch free (it is on my v1 as well) and I recently dropped my 3G for the first time from 5 feet or so onto concrete. Very minor scratches on the Apple logo and everything else is pristine.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i was in the Apple store today there was a short line to get iPhones, the Apple reps asked everybody if they would be interested in screen protection and everybody said no based on the fact that the screen was un scratchable. the iPhone glass is tough very very tough but it can be scratched even if its the smallest scratch the screen protector is worth it, that said i say try those scratch fixing washes then put a screen protector on it

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I've noticed that the back of the phone scratches very easily...I had the Black 16GB since July 11th and baby my phone like no other, and I still get micro scratches all over the back of the phone and the Apple logo. When I clean my phone every night with a micro fiber cloth, I notice that there are a lot of tiny scratches. It's driving me insane...these scratches are pretty much only visible in direct light though...Anyone else having the same problem?

Is there anything out there to remove these scratches?

3Guser

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I can't believe people put things like key or change or anything at all in their pocket with the phone. :eek:No wonder why the screen might scratch.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I can't believe people put things like key or change or anything at all in their pocket with the phone. :eek:No wonder why the screen might scratch.
The screen can scratch from simply having dirt in the same pocket also. There were people who never put anything but the phone in one pocket, and scratches appeared on their phones.

There were a couple threads on this issue a few weeks ago, and a year ago with the V1. I'd dig it up but I'm heading out right now.

If anyone has time, could you post links?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I am using a crystal screen protector from the Apple store. is it really possible for the screen to get scratched?
Anyways, read the comment about the stuck pixel, I have one myself. Is it worth it to return it, or should just stick it out?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Gamble is, can you risk having one dead pixel become 2, then 3 and so on. I would exchange it myself. Technically something like 15 or less dead pixels is considered normal in the manufacturing process.

I am using a crystal screen protector from the Apple store. is it really possible for the screen to get scratched?
Anyways, read the comment about the stuck pixel, I have one myself. Is it worth it to return it, or should just stick it out?