Has anyone got the $200 credit from Amex yet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I got off the phone with Amex today who said they would process my claim and I would hear from them within 2 weeks regarding the credit for the iPhone. Alot of people in here say they were told they would get their money within 24hours, a far cry from the 2weeks I was told and was even told they couln't guarantee the refund. I'm unsure what critera Amex is using to decide who gets credits and who doesn't.

My question is has anyone actually seen the $200 credit from American Express showing up on your online card activity yet? If so, what was the date of purchase?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
My question is has anyone actually seen the $200 credit from American Express showing up on your online card activity yet? If so, what was the date of purchase?
I talked to amex on thursday and they said i would get my $200 within 24 hours. It's been 48 hours and it still doesn't show on my account. However I called amex yesterday (24 hours later) and the girl said she was seeing the request got processed. I guess it just needs a while to go through and show on your account. Amex is terrible for updating the online account.

I purchased my iPhone on july 28.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
What type of Amex card do you have?
I have the Gold but it apparently doesn't really matter what type of card you have. Some people with platinum got rejected... I first called the number at the back of my card and got rejected. I then called 800-297-8019 and they acceted my request. Try thi snumber if not done yet

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I talked to amex on thursday and they said i would get my $200 within 24 hours. It's been 48 hours and it still doesn't show on my account. However I called amex yesterday (24 hours later) and the girl said she was seeing the request got processed. I guess it just needs a while to go through and show on your account. Amex is terrible for updating the online account.

I purchased my iPhone on july 28.
Update us Monday if it comes in, I'm interested in knowing what happens. Also, was it processed under "Return Protection" or "Purchase Protection"? The number you called seems to be the "Return Protection" number.

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
When I called amex today, I spoke with a very nice woman who pointed out (as we all know at this point) that the price protection plan no longer exists. That said, she told me that Amex was very concerned about this issue and the large number of customers with this complaint. She made no promises, which I expected, and she indicated that a formal decision would be made within 2 weeks. So I guess we will see...and for those who got money put back on your card, Amex's usual operating procedure for disputes is to credit the money immediately, but if it does not go in your favor, then they just take the credit away (which is likely to happen to those that got a credit within 24 hours).

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I was told it could take 2 weeks and that AMEX dropped the price protection but would submit the claim and the approval decision would be based upon "how good a customer you are". Whatever that means.

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I was told it could take 2 weeks and that AMEX dropped the price protection but would submit the claim and the approval decision would be based upon "how good a customer you are". Whatever that means.

Although that bodes well for me getting my money back, I disagree with that thought and sentiment. Amex is most likely going to make one decision on this issue, either they will pay them all or they will pay none. That would just cause outrage if they did a pick and chose thing.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I got off the phone with Amex just now to see whats going on with my cliam. I let them know that I haven't seen the credit online, they told me it would take up to 2 weeks once Amex decides what to do all the claims.

I noted to her I know several people who already got the refund back to their accounts and why I haven't gotton mine or what did I not submit to get the credit like the others that I know. She couldn't answer it and said that no one should have gotton their money back yet.

SHe also mentioned that almost everyone who bought the phone has called in to file the claim. I asked how much, she said over 8,000 claims!

So if you take $200 x 8,000 = 1.6Million in payback. I doubt Amex will approve. I mean what incentive do they have to give us the money if they don't' have to?

If you think about it, Amex collets maybee 3.5% in processing charges from Apple. They made around $20 to process the orders. They would take a pretty big hit per order to do this.. If they do credit, I must say Amex will be my only credit card in my wallet from now on.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
If they do credit, I must say Amex will be my only credit card in my wallet from now on.
Watch out! I tried to have amex as my only card but some stores/restaurants/merchants sometimes don't take amex. So now i have a mastercard with me as well. However, I pay everythoing I can with my amex. I LOVE AMEX

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I talked to them yesterday and they siad my credit had gone through and posted Friday morning a little less than 24 hours after I called.

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
All you guys realize that, by continuing a claim for the full $200 refund from Amex price protection after you know Apple is giving you back $100 in store credit, you might be committing fraud? And if I was an Amex claims investigator and I was facing approving $1.6 million in refunds, I'd sure as hell be persuing anyone I thought might be trying to get away with fraud.

Just some food for thought!

Mark

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
All you guys realize that, by continuing a claim for the full $200 refund from Amex price protection after you know Apple is giving you back $100 in store credit, you might be committing fraud? And if I was an Amex claims investigator and I was facing approving $1.6 million in refunds, I'd sure as hell be persuing anyone I thought might be trying to get away with fraud.

Mark
Its not fraud if you don't accept the $100 store refund. I am more than willing to not take Apple's money in order to receive the full difference. That said, I think a great compromise from amex would be to refund $100 and allow the purchasers to also take the $100 from Apple.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
How I understood it was that if Apple only gives 14 days to return the iPhone, American Express offers 90 day return policy when you cannot return something to the place you bought it. Although this technically isn't covered they are making one time exceptions because of the situation and crediting instead of making you return the phone to them, so are other credit cards too (Visa, MC). I would much rather get my $200 back than a $100 store credit. If American Express is doing this for customers how is it fraud? I don't know the deal why some people are getting the credit and others are not and why some people actually have to fill out a claim and others don't. But I don't see how it's fraud. We pay annual fees for their cards, there has to be some benefits to that.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia

Mark
I'd like to know where you think it states that we are not entitled to both. Where does it say in the AMEX policy that we are not entitled to the Apple credit?
Don't be angry just because you didn't pay with an AMEX card or because you purchased yours off of EBay and are screwed.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Processed my claim on Saturday. AMEX customer service rep was happy to take my claim information but then read a statement that AMEX had prepared for those wishing to process iPhone claims. It said that AMEX is aware of the $100 credit recently issued by Apple and will take this into account. Also, it will be 2 weeks for them to make their decision.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Claim

I used my Amex Blue card to buy 2 iPhones. I was on Vacation and didn't find out about this whole price drop thing until Saturday. I wish I would have heard sooner, It seems that those who called Amex sooner had better results.

I called on Sunday and was told they would process my claim and that could take up to 2 weeks, but that they could not guarantee anything in terms of getting the refund.

Did anyone else get an email from Amex with the claim form? It looks like they want me attach a bunch of info and mail it to them which is fine but I just haven't heard of anyone else having to do that.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I used my Amex Blue card to buy 2 iPhones. I was on Vacation and didn't find out about this whole price drop thing until Saturday. I wish I would have heard sooner, It seems that those who called Amex sooner had better results.

I called on Sunday and was told they would process my claim and that could take up to 2 weeks, but that they could not guarantee anything in terms of getting the refund.

Did anyone else get an email from Amex with the claim form? It looks like they want me attach a bunch of info and mail it to them which is fine but I just haven't heard of anyone else having to do that.
I was told they MIGHT require claim form submittal and additional info. They took my email, in case they needed me to submit the formal claim paperwork, but I haven't heard anything from them on it.

I suspect the claim paperwork might be where the "customer standing" will come into play, but I would bet that all customers will receive the same benefit when they decide the issue.

Also, remember, that while AmEx will technically be passing the credit to us, they more than likely don't eat the whole thing themselves. I'll almost guarantee they'll go to Apple for a piece of that refund.