Has anyone gotten Windows 2000 to work with iPhone?

Sack

Jul 3, 2007
Like many people, I sync my iPhone with a Mac at home, but would like to sync with Outlook on my work PC as well. Unfortunately, my Windows 2000 PC has been giving me trouble. I’m unable to get the iPhone properly installed on this computer. Every time I connect it, the “searching for device driver” dialog box pops open, and tries to find a driver for the iPhone.

I have iTunes 7.3 installed, etc. I know that Apple’s literature states that only WinXP and WinVista are supported, but there are many sources online stating that Windows 2000 works just fine.

Has anyone been able to get their iPhone properly connected on a Windows 2000 based machine? If so, did it take any unusual measures? Is there somewhere I might find a compatible driver (I’ve looked all over)?

Thanks in advance.

rcgrabbag

Jul 2, 2007
I have Windows 2000 server and I installed Outlook to see if I could get it to sync (wasn't working on my XP machine). I was not able to get it to work. Win2K couldn't seem to locate the driver for the iPhone (an .inf file which isn't even in the iTunes software from what I can tell). I went back to fiddling with the XP machine. Finally got that to work thanks to some other members' help.

Yomon

Jul 12, 2007
I have Windows 2000 Professional and this is a concern for me :/

I have that whole Windows installer problem with this HP Printer that I recently got... I can't install the printer if the installer pops up (and it ALWAYS does) because it glitches the HP installation program, it's really annoying.

I would hate to drop $600 on a phone to find out that I need to spend a few hundred dollars more to upgrade my operating system. So I would like to know if there are iPhone/Windows 2000 sync success stories.

As an added bonus, I have dial-up and I'm worried that it will effect setting up an iPhone. Please help (mostly with setting an iPhone up with Win2K asurrance) D:

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I'm still watching this desperately hoping someone has an answer about using an iPhone with win2k. It seems it only needs a hardware device driver as the latest required version of iTunes works fine.

Please! Does anyone have ANY leads on this?

Thanks,

Sack

Jul 3, 2007
Yep, like you, I'm checking this thread every few days to see if there's anyone who has gotten it working. I have to imagine it'll eventually be supported, but honestly, Windows 2000 is getting pretty long in the tooth and I don't blame Apple for not supporting it.

What I really need is for my office manager to realize that almost all of our hardware and software are several generations behind the times. They're so unbelievably profit-driven and expense-minimizing that there's really no hope, though.

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I had Windows 2000, and it was impossible to get my iPhone to work with it. So I bought Vista instead, as the box suggested, but it wouldn't work with that either! I got XP, and it now (finally) works.

I did a lot of googling with regards to both Windows 2000 and Vista compatibility, and from what I could gather, 2000 is impossible. Vista is mixed.

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I know it is a little late for those of you who are following or were following this link but according to the iPhone specs Win2k is not supported.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

ill continue to search for the individual driver you need but don't get your hopes up.

sek

Aug 29, 2007
This was posted on - http://www.apple.com/iphone/pr/20070109iPhone.html

iPhone requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS® X v10.4.8 or later and iTunes 7; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2). Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended. Apple and Cingular will announce service plans for iPhone before it begins shipping in June.

So why doesn't it work? I am like you and use Windows 2000 with Outlook 2003 and would like to sync my contacts. Otherwise I am going to have to put them in by hand. So I wondered what happened with this and why it's not working with Windows 2000.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Like many people, I sync my iPhone with a Mac at home, but would like to sync with Outlook on my work PC as well. Unfortunately, my Windows 2000 PC has been giving me trouble. I’m unable to get the iPhone properly installed on this computer. Every time I connect it, the “searching for device driver” dialog box pops open, and tries to find a driver for the iPhone.

I have iTunes 7.3 installed, etc. I know that Apple’s literature states that only WinXP and WinVista are supported, but there are many sources online stating that Windows 2000 works just fine.

Has anyone been able to get their iPhone properly connected on a Windows 2000 based machine? If so, did it take any unusual measures? Is there somewhere I might find a compatible driver (I’ve looked all over)?

Thanks in advance.
Apples own website says your PC must be running atleast XP with service pack 2 installed as its minimum requirements. So I would assume that windows 2000 wouldn't work at all. If it does, consider yourself lucky I guess!

csedgman

Sep 17, 2007
win2k and iPhone device driver

I haven't been able to get Windows 2000 to work with my iPhone yet. I 've installed the version of iTunes that works with Windows 2000 (7.3.2) but it doesn't include a device driver for the iPhone. Anyone else have it?

Thanks!

alishah98

Dec 7, 2007
iPhone would work with Windows 2000 but make sure you have (Service Pack 4) installed.

"iPhone requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS® X v10.4.8 or later and iTunes 7; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2)."

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/01/09iPhone.html

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Nope. Just because it is written somewhere doesn't mean its true. It does NOT work with win2k even with sp4.

daerwynn

Aug 6, 2008
Solution found for contacts/calendar with iPhone 2.0 update

You can use www.nuevasync.com to use the new Microsoft exchange Push functionality of the iPhone to sync wirelessly all contacts via Plaxo. Also, if you use Plaxo to sync your multiple calendars to your google calendar then nuevasync can pull the google calendar to your iPhone too. This was great for me since I couldn't find any solution to migrating my Outlook 2003/Windows 2000 stuff to my iPhone. Now I wirelessly receive my contacts and calendar on my iPhone! No good solution for getting songs on yet though.

awink

Jan 5, 2009

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
I find my Win2000 gets buggy with some software, and gets better "XP" compatibility if I install the DotNet Framework software upgrade. I am not sure, but I think Microsoft put a limitation, not allowing the latest version of DotNet to install on a 2000 OS.

Something to look into, might answer compatibility issues with other software down the road, which is a shame, because I actually prefer the look and feel of 2000 vs. XP or Vista.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Apple does not support Windows 2000 for use with the iPhone. It's XP and above. Trust me, I've been around "this block" a number of times. Even got the system to recognize my phone, but the Apple Mobile Device Driver does not load, or does not install correctly, and causes all sorts of problems.
If you have Win2k, I suggest you get the XP upgrade, or get a new PC. Sounds harsh I know, but that is about your only alternative -unless you somehow get an emulator and run XP (still have to buy a copy to be legal) inside that with iTunes, THEN it "should" work.

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
WhAt a downer, I need W2000 on my puter for work apps.. So there's no way I will ever be able to back up iPhone or transfer info with this computer eh?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Not really. But what programs are you running on your PC that would not be compatible with XP pro?
I'm not trying to make fun of you, but there is a point where you have to let go and move forward.
The only reason I am still on XP is because Vista, in all it's incarnations, bit the big meaty one. Even people that were Vista fanatics when it was out for that first year are now fed up with it's problematic performance issues. Windows 7.... has yet to show real signs that it's worth moving to.
But Win2k, while stable, is really behind the technology curve.