Has anyone noticed Background App Refresh actually do anything?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If so, in which apps?

I don't think I ever have, but it may just not be a feature that one really notices directly. During the ios7 keynote, I was expecting to never have to watch apps refresh themselves ever again, but it seems like they do just as much as pre-ios7.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
When that feature first was added, I tested several apps. Didn't notice anything one way or another. The only mention I've seen of any specific app's use of the feature is how Facebook uses it heavily which uses a lot of battery juice. But everything seems to work the same, regardless of whether it's turned on or not.

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
In Tweetbot (which I open many time throughout the day), I do notice that new tweets are loaded before I re-open the app. I don't use background refresh for much of anything else. From what I've read, iOS "schedules" the background refresh (for apps that are so designed) based on usage patterns, battery life, whether the phone is on/active, etc., so it may be a case of waiting for OS to learn your patterns.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I haven't noticed anything. Just to play it safe, I keep Background Refresh turned on for apps that I want to refresh in the background and turned off for other apps.