Has anyone noticed Background App Refresh actually do anything?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by acosmichippo, May 17, 2014.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

If so, in which apps?

I don't think I ever have, but it may just not be a feature that one really notices directly. During the ios7 keynote, I was expecting to never have to watch apps refresh themselves ever again, but it seems like they do just as much as pre-ios7.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

When that feature first was added, I tested several apps. Didn't notice anything one way or another. The only mention I've seen of any specific app's use of the feature is how Facebook uses it heavily which uses a lot of battery juice. But everything seems to work the same, regardless of whether it's turned on or not.

3. applejosh

applejosh Member
    Bronze

In Tweetbot (which I open many time throughout the day), I do notice that new tweets are loaded before I re-open the app. I don't use background refresh for much of anything else. From what I've read, iOS "schedules" the background refresh (for apps that are so designed) based on usage patterns, battery life, whether the phone is on/active, etc., so it may be a case of waiting for OS to learn your patterns.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't noticed anything. Just to play it safe, I keep Background Refresh turned on for apps that I want to refresh in the background and turned off for other apps.