Has AT&T Commanded Its Retail Staff To Stop Selling People The iPhone?

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
AT&T is biting the hand that feeds it.
Pretty sad since the iPhone helped build AT&T into one of the top 2 carriers today. Without the iPhone and it's suscribers AT&T would be singing a different tune.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Is that true? I guess no one knows; however, why would AT&T want to stop selling the device that made them how they are today? the iPhone is the most successful and most selling device, and AT&T was the only carrier to sell it for about three or four years straight, so they made billions out of it.

Aug 8, 2012
Would think that's kind of dumb. Won't they lose a ton of subscribers to Verizon?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Would think that's kind of dumb. Won't they lose a ton of subscribers to Verizon?
AT&T reps are being instructed to suggest non-Phone handsets to customers. This is the claim of the linked article, and AT&T's eloquently worded response attempting to deny this just confirms that it is true. However, the reps obviously cannot force any handset upon a customer. The more stubborn reps could try to come up with lines like "The iPhone is out of stock until three weeks from now because of recent attacks on UPS drivers who attempted to make deliveries to this location, and the resulting investigations. However, we do have plenty of non-iphone handsets for you to look at!"

Personally, if I decide to purchase the upcoming iPhone from an AT&T store as opposed to an Apple store, I'm going to take copies of the article with me. When the rep starts talking nonsense, I would--very politely--shove the article in his face. If the rep acts clueless, I'll ask for the manager. Before I leave, I would distribute copies of the article to customers browsing around the store. I would promptly leave once I hear words like "sir, cops, call, police."

Lastly, I would later e-mail Apple with a grossly exaggerated account of how the evil AT&T rep tried to get me to purchase a non-Apple handset.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Let's get something straight here AT&T isn't denying iPhones to anyone or deferring customers from it. What AT&T is doing is showing customers other phones. Remember they also sell other phones. The iPhone sells itself but other phones don't so when a customer comes in asks for an iPhone the reps will try to show them other phones so the customer can have a choice. This is AT&T's way of pushing out inventory. Sometimes we don't give other products a chance cause we are used to using a certain brand till someone comes and shows us another brand. I don't want to sound like I'm defending them its just not fair when blogs and news articles try to twist the facts and don't give all the info for ratings. Think about it people if you owned a store wouldn't you try to show your customers similar products so they can make their choice?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Let's get something straight here AT&T isn't denying iPhones to anyone or deferring customers from it. What AT&T is doing is showing customers other phones. Remember they also sell other phones. The iPhone sells itself but other phones don't so when a customer comes in asks for an iPhone the reps will try to show them other phones so the customer can have a choice. This is AT&T's way of pushing out inventory. Sometimes we don't give other products a chance cause we are used to using a certain brand till someone comes and shows us another brand. I don't want to sound like I'm defending them its just not fair when blogs and news articles try to twist the facts and don't give all the info for ratings. Think about it people if you owned a store wouldn't you try to show your customers similar products so they can make their choice?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app
AT&T pays a higher subsidy on the iPhone than other smartphones so it is purely businesss driven, AT&T could care less about expanding the customer's options.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
I am an informed buyer, so I go to AT&T and request a new iPhone , I'm am not looking to be educated on a POS Android, I have that education from my coworkers having to get new Android devices every 3 months. So I leave and go to the Apple Store and purchased a new iPhone how tough is that?

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
AT&T pays a higher subsidy on the iPhone than other smartphones so it is purely businesss driven, AT&T could care less about expanding the customer's options.
that maybe true but they also have other smartphones they want to sell.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I can't speak for AT&T which I have, but my area is dominated by Verizon users and when I recommend iPhone to them they all say the same thing, the workers at Verizon told me not to get an iPhone, Android is better and if your iPhone breaks you have to drive an hour or more to an Apple store! It's crazy these stores are doing this!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app