Has AT&T said anything about MMS for iPhone 3GS?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No word yet. It still stands at sometime this summer.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Completely random, just heard it from a friend who said he spoke to AT&T, but he said they told him September!

Krabby

Jan 22, 2009
Completely random, just heard it from a friend who said he spoke to AT&T, but he said they told him September!
That sound about right consider summer ends in September.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
yes, when they said "late summer" they weren't kidding. What day does Summer officially end? Because that is probably the day we'll get it.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
yes, when they said "late summer" they weren't kidding. What day does Summer officially end? Because that is probably the day we'll get it.
September 21st and you know they will probably release it then. Late summer is late summer even if it's the last day. Although I think Apple will release 3.1 with all mms options unhidden before AT&T is ready, so everyone calls AT&T asking why it doesn't work. I guarantee Apple is :mad: about it taking this long so now they are going to make it all look like AT&T's fault, which it is. I'm sure after few million calls AT&T will somehow find the time and resources to get it working and fast.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
This is ridicules. In the UK we has MMS immediately. I find it hard to believe a company of AT&T's stature cant have has MMS running since launch day. They had enough time to get it ready

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
This is ridicules. In the UK we has MMS immediately. I find it hard to believe a company of AT&T's stature cant have has MMS running since launch day. They had enough time to get it ready
I was distraught when everyone was beta testing 3.0- some people had whereas i didn't. As soon as the official 3.0 FW was released I had the MMS function. Admittedly I couldn't send straight away as o2 were busy sending every iPhone user the new settings to allow them to send. As soon as i got mine I was sending pics/voice clips just for the fun of it through MMS

AT&T are acting like they need to remove that 'big' thumb out there ass and get a move on. If i were you guys i'd be complaining. There should be no reason why you don't have it already.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
haha, i remember your angry phone calls to o2 during that beta testing... glad its sorted now! ha

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
haha, i remember your angry phone calls to o2 during that beta testing... glad its sorted now! ha
I wish i could have recorded it and i would of uploaded my convo with them for you guys to listen too.

It was a very emotional time for me, not having MMS could have induced a heart attack, especially at my age (22) having any form of heart problems could have been fatal. I'm just glad it's all over.

To all those on AT&T who's MMS doesn't work..... mine does :sneaky:

robryan29

Jun 29, 2009
NYC
Anyone think they'll be an additional fee for MMS or will it be included in Unlimited Text Messaging?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Anyone think they'll be an additional fee for MMS or will it be included in Unlimited Text Messaging?
Where are you from?

If your from the UK then the unlimited txt message bolt on only works for SMS. Where as your tariff will include a certain amount of inclusive messages.

1x MMS= 3x inclusive Message allowance. So if you had 500 messages you could be able to send 166 MMS messages.

I complained, here is what they said (again):

Thank you for contacting AT&T regarding how you pay $30.00 for
unlimited family text and picture messaging. I understand Apple
announced iPhone Software v3.0 with support for MMS back in March. I
understand you wish to know why, even though AT&T has had four months to prepare for 3.0 and MMS, we are not ready to support these features. My
name is Carmen Rough and I am happy to address your concern.

AT&T is improving our MMS network to ensure the best MMS experience
for our iPhone users. These improvements are unrelated to our 3G
network.
Until late summer 2009, you may continue to use the View My
Message experience for receiving incoming MMS. AT&T is committed to
providing a top quality service experience. AT&T is in the process of
making final network improvements, necessary to deliver the best
possible experience once MMS is made available to our iPhone 3G and 3GS
customers.

Mr. Heming, I hope that the information provided has been helpful
and has resolved all of your questions. Should you have additional
concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. If
you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us
another email via the contact link through your online account. I would
like to thank you for being a valued customer with AT&T since at least
June of 2007. Again, my name is Carmen Rough. Thank you for allowing
AT&T to serve as your wireless company. We will do our best to ensure
that your wireless experience is a success.

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often
to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to
shop for new product and service offerings.

Sincerely,

Carmen Rough
AT&T
Online Customer Care Professional
Not sure what the comment means about being unrelated to the 3G network.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA

I think it's more of their servers that need to be able to support the millions of iPhones sending mms's and bandwith so they network doesn't get slowed down at all(which is related to the 3G network). Still that is no excuse for it taking longer than 4 months and I talked to a rep that said they were told back in late December 2008 and Apple told them they built in all the provisioning into the phone to give AT&T less work! So they have had more than enough time to prepare for a plan to have it ready on the release of 3.0. We are one of the most technologically advanced countries and the 2nd largest wireless carrier can't have a basic function they have had working for years ready for one of the most advanced phones in the world. It's getting ridiculous and almost seems like they are doing it on purpose because they knew since December, even March was enough time to get ready. And I do believe 3.1 will come out before AT&T is ready because I'm sure Apple is tired of waiting on them.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

sounds like a standard boiler plate answer. this really is a joke. If the iPhone was on any other carrier (even T-Mobile) i would have service with them before I chose AT&T.

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
is there gonna be an extra charge when it does come out?