Has EDGE been getting worse for you too?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Is it just me or has Edge continuously gotten worse and worse and worse?
I used to have 4 bars in my home and I could browse for hours with little aggravation (except for the incessant safari crashing every 10 minutes - but that's another issue.) It has been bad, but a couple of weeks ago it started getting even worse! Every 10 minutes the signal goes from 2 bars to "no service." And that lasts for about 20 minutes! AT LEAST! I usually have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get it to reconnect! I have EDGE for about 30% of the time and when I do have it it's sloooooow!

It didn't use to be that bad. It is now. When the iPhone just came out I didn't understand why everybody was complaining about EDGE. It wasn't that bad. Frankly I was pretty impressed with it. But now! MAN! It's AWFUL! MUCH WORSE than dialup.

Ever since Steve dropped the price of the phone, the connection's gotten worse and worse. Clearly the increase in iPhone users has caused us to suffer worse service.

Dangit… us early adopters lost more than $200 when they dropped the price of the phone. We lost good service too. I am especially unsatisfied with that measily insulting $100 credit now.

Please tell me that I'm not alone. You've also been suffering from increasing outages and slower connections, right?

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I live north of chicago and it's always been really good. I'm one of those people that wonders what everyone's complaining about.

Still works fine.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I am in ATL and it is great here too. It has seemed to slow a bit in the last couple of months, but still manageable.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This is funny actually because yesterday I was loading a website at dinner and I remarked how quick EDGE was going. My Safari did crash at least 3 times though which is highly unusual but who knows what's going on there.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
also ...you might try a complete boot (hold hone and power button for 10sec or so)....
but....the price drop might just have clogged up the frequency big time.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Darn. Y'all aren't cooperating. You are supposed to be telling me that I'm not the only one. :(
:p
I live in South Florida and Edge is pretty fast. I travel frequently and Edge away from home seems very, very, very slow! I've also noticed, since updating to 1.1.2, Edge has slowed considerably. I also have numerous Safari crashes, throughout the day. I am really starting to get pissed off that, Apple continues to release worthless updates, that fail to address the problem with Safari crashing. I have no 3P Apps, so that is not the problem. My volume level, handset and speaker phone are, to say the least, a joke. M

BTW: Apple, where in the heck is the Bluetooth stereo protocol, for a device that was heavily marketed, in terms of the iPod feature? M

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I may just have a bad phone then. To Do List: Visit Apple Store, immediately...M
If you're a stock iPhone user and you're having THAT much trouble with Safari, I certainly would take it back, pronto! The only time I've ever seen Safari "disappear" is from a webpage that is repeatable and known to be a problem with that particular page. Maybe you visit a lot of those types of pages?

Anyway, Safari is the most stable browser I've ever used on a mobile device, so I'd say something is wrong with your phone...

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
If anything, EDGE seems slightly faster in my area recently. Safari has been very stable on my phone since 1.1.1 was released.