Has my free WiFi gone away?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I was getting free wifi at my home without the use of a router because I think a neighbor may have one that my phone is linking with. Then suddenly today. It says "Cannot connect with linksys network"
I believe it is because my neighbors comp is down etc.... Any ideas?
Remember I do not have a router. So I must have been linking up with one of my neighbors laptops.
Thanks

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
It could be a number of things. Most likely his/her router is just down or having problems. I'm not sure, but I think "using" wifi like that is illegal.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Well arent all these McDonalds wifi hot spots ille
gal also? Not that Im worried. I think the point is to be able to occasionally link up to a wifi hot spot.

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Well arent all these McDonalds wifi hot spots illeagal also? Not that Im worried. I think the point is to be able to occasionally link up to a wifi hot spot.
McDonalds is a public wifi spot and thereforee open to whoever wants to use it. I wouldn't worry about going to jail, but it does have ethical/moral implications attached to it. Some people will get fired up over it.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Right on....I remember being so stoked that it always connected at my home. Ive heard about it being illegal but I didn't think it applied to me. I still get edge just fine where I live. gonna miss using wifi. ahh well. Router here I come

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
McDonalds is a public wifi spot and thereforee open to whoever wants to use it. I wouldn't worry about going to jail, but it does have ethical/moral implications attached to it. Some people will get fired up over it.
McDonald's wifi is free where I live.
I have found though that when trying to use the wifi of large stores/restaurants (Home Depot, etc.) that you are able to surf the net and such but NOT able to send email.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
thats right.. if could be that your neighbor finally put an encrypted code on the wifi.
or... they decided to use direct connection.. there are many possibilities:p

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
when I activate wifi, I get like 6 wifi...3 are secured, but 3 arent. iam too scared to log onto other peoples wifi since that could be a breach of security and could get me into trouble. we have our own Wifi but I don't know the security key to get in :(

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
when I activate wifi, I get like 6 wifi...3 are secured, but 3 arent. iam too scared to log onto other peoples wifi since that could be a breach of security and could get me into trouble. we have our own Wifi but I don't know the security key to get in :(

simply just log into your computer. and depends no what wireless router you have, there must be a disc... download the disc and there should be a software application where you click on it, it will run a diagnostic and tell you the code.. print it out or write it down. then from there. at the bottom of your computer's screen or whatever device your using the wifi for(laptop to pc). click on the wireless icon. connect into the wifi, and from there you can change the password and make it easier for you to remember.
or just call the toll free number and they'll help you out

( at least thats how i do mine):laugh2:

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Well arent all these McDonalds wifi hot spots ille
gal also? Not that Im worried. I think the point is to be able to occasionally link up to a wifi hot spot.
If it isn't a public connection, and you aren't paying for it, then you're breaking the law by connecting. IMO, it's stupid for anyone to have an unsecured wireless network in this day & age (i.e. unprotected by a password/encryption key), but even if they choose to operate that way, it doesn't give you the right to use their service. A place like McDonalds offers wireless as a benefit to their customers. It's not the same thing as leeching off your neighbor's service.

I'm not going to hop on a soapbox here, but since you claim to not know...well now you know.

w7ox

Jul 25, 2007
McDonald's wifi is free where I live.
I have found though that when trying to use the wifi of large stores/restaurants (Home Depot, etc.) that you are able to surf the net and such but NOT able to send email.
Re sending email: You must use webmail unless connected via your own ISP. Same when I travel with my MacBook.

I use Roadrunner and there is a webmail capability. And Gmail works well, too.

Phil

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
simply just log into your computer. and depends no what wireless router you have, there must be a disc... download the disc and there should be a software application where you click on it, it will run a diagnostic and tell you the code.. print it out or write it down. then from there. at the bottom of your computer's screen or whatever device your using the wifi for(laptop to pc). click on the wireless icon. connect into the wifi, and from there you can change the password and make it easier for you to remember.
or just call the toll free number and they'll help you out

( at least thats how i do mine):laugh2:
I tried that but It makes me reset the whole router and if I reset it, it s a HUGE pain to set it back up since we have no other computers using the connection. its a wireless connection.