Has NE1 successfully got Hotmail forwarded to Gmail?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

todd1010

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I've tried logging into my gmail and tried setting up the fetching of email from my hotmail account but that has been unsuccessful.

Has any got any step by step instructions that have worked for them?

Sep 23, 2007
Chicago, IL
I just figured it out yesterday (I've had my phone for about three days now). It can be confusing if you don't know what to look for. You don't really set your GMail account to "fetch" mail; you set your Hotmail account to forward mail to the GMail account.

If you've set any GMail options involving message retrieval from Hotmail, uncheck them just in case! You don't want the same emails being sent to each account in an infinite loop. Your GMail account should be set up the exact way it was when you first registered.

I have a paid Hotmail account, but this should work with a free account as well. These steps assume you have a functioning GMail account already set up:

1. Set your GMail information in your iPhone.

2. In your Hotmail account, click Options in the upper right-hand corner, near Sign Out. A pop-up menu will appear.

3. In the menu, click More Options. A list of options will appear.

4. Under Manage your account, click Forward mail to another e-mail account.

5. Click the radio button in the second option, Forward your mail to another e-mail address.

6. In the box provided, type the entire GMail address to which you want the mail forwarded.

7. I like to keep my mail in the Hotmail account, as it's my primary e-mail address. So, I clicked Keep a copy of forwarded messages.

8. Click Save.

That should do it! To test it, ask someone to send you a message to your Hotmail account (or fire off an email yourself from an old account). The following happens:

1. The message should be received by Hotmail.

2. Hotmail immediately fires off a copy to GMail.

3. This next part is important, because it may make you think the e-mail set up isn't working: the iPhone retrieves -- not receives -- the email from GMail at the interval you set the iPhone to check the account. So, if you set your iPhone to retrieve messages every thirty minutes, that's exactly what it will do.

I'm fairly certain iPhone will retrieve messages if you go into the e-mail menu, even if it's not time for the iPhone to automatically retrieve them.

I have yet to figure out how to respond to an e-mail and have it use the Hotmail address in the response (this option is available in the GMail account itself, but doesn't seem to be available if you're using the iPhone to respond).

Hope that helps!

todd1010

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
In step 5 of your instructions is where it ends for me. After I put in my gmail address and hit save it say's:

You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again.

I've even tried putting in a comcast.net email account to forward to and still no go. I am using the Windows Live Hotmail and I don't know if using the free version won't let you forward and I cannot figure out why they would have that option if you can't forward to any email address. I mean come on what is the purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 23, 2007
Chicago, IL
In step 5 of your instructions is where it ends for me. After I put in my gmail address and hit save it say's:

You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again.
Aah, that sucks. I'm guessing it's because I've got a paid account. Let me check the differences and try getting back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
you can't do it unless you have a paid account.

Hotmail gains revenue by running ads on the free email client. If no one is actually on the hotmail site to read their ads, they get no revenue.

I've been thinking about just paying the $20...i mean it's only $20 per year!

that's only a nickel a day.

theHAGGIS

Sep 10, 2007
Copied from the Izymail.com

Membership, Fees

You may obtain a basic membership with the Service without paying a fee. IzySoft may charge fees to access certain components of the Service.

I've been using it for the last 2 weeks with no issues.(or charges)