Has your card been charged for your preorder yet?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I preordered on Monday. I just checked my account and the money hasn't been removed yet. I know I input the numbers right because it verified my card. I remember someone here saying their card was already charged. Anyone else who has preordered been charged yet?

Thanks

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well I just preordered from AT&T tonight, but no activity yet on my card. The receipt from AT&T said it would be charged when the phone was shipped to the store and I would receive an email when it arrived. It will be interesting to see when all this occurs!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ordered mine late monday night via Apple online store - no charge yet.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Cards usually take 2-3 businesss days to show charges anyway, well here in the UK they do anyway. I can go shopping on a Friday, and by Thursday is when it just shows up! There was me thinkning i had loads of cash left! :(

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have a charge from ~7pm on 6/9 that posted today, which was 14-19 hours after my Apple store order.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I ordered mine from Apple.com and used my debit card, I have 3 pre-authorization charges (my money is still in the bank, Apple has just made sure I have the money) from Apple on my bank statement. One for the phone and 2 for 1 dollar each.

I thought it was illegal for a company to charge your card before it ships.

TxFireman1972

Bronze
Feb 12, 2009
Thats only a pre-authorization. Like someone said, they pre-authorize it to make sure you have the money, but don't actually charge your card until it ships.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I pre-ordered on Tuesday at 7:20pm at the local AT&T store. The receipt says my credit card won't be charged until the order has shipped, which I guess means once AT&T ships it to my local store for pickup on the 19th. It would be cooler if they charged it once I picked it up.

Joe

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
My guess is that they will not charge your CC until they verify they have enough stock, and ship your phone. There would be a lot of upset people who got their card charged, only to show up at the store to find out they will not receive one just yet.

Is it sad that I'm excited for everyone else to get their 3GS, and I'm not even getting one!?

ritzthekracker

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
When I pre-ordered mine they charged my card instantly for the full amount.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Since I have the v1 on a family plan right now, if I pre-order via AT&T online and choose the new data plan and new text plan...will they automatically change that or wait until I activate the phone to put that into effect?

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I ordered mine from Apple.com and used my debit card, I have 3 pre-authorization charges (my money is still in the bank, Apple has just made sure I have the money) from Apple on my bank statement. One for the phone and 2 for 1 dollar each.

I thought it was illegal for a company to charge your card before it ships.
Thats right, federal Fair Credit Billing Act protects us saying that they can't bill you until the item is shipped. It only works for direct credit card purschases so paypal and such is excempt.

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
my card was 'authorized' immediately and it is currently 'pending'. the rep for Apple said it would show pending until the phone shipped. so essentially its just 'holding' that amount until it takes it out officially.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Got a confirmation email from AT&T this morning that said

Thank you for shopping with AT&T. Your iPhone 3G S has been reserved. iPhone 3G S availability is expected on or after June 19, 2009. Another email will be sent when your iPhone 3G S arrives at the AT&T store, confirming your order is ready for pick up.
I hope that "on or after" is just a "cover-our-ass" sort of statement. Regardless, my credit card has not been charged yet as the order still hasn't shipped, according to the link in the email.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I work for a company that develops software that does credit card transactions. Like someone said early the only thing Apple can do right now is send a pre-auth for the amount to your credit card. What this does is prove to Apple that you have the money available on your card and it also tells the credit card company that the money is allocated to an upcoming charge and can't be used. Once the order have shipped (because of laws in the US Apple cannot charge your credit card until the order has shipped out the door, good old SarBox) Apple with send a collect to actually collect the money that was preauthorized.

Preauths are only good for 10 days I believe so if they don't collect in that time the preauth may disappear but it doesn't mean you aren't getting the phone.

JustinCarpenter

Bronze
Mar 24, 2009
Michigan
If you have it shipped, it should charge your card immediately or within a couple days. If you are picking it up from the store, I believe they charge you at the store.

Jun 11, 2009
They said they would not charge my card until the phone ships on the 18th! They said they are openning the store at 7am for everyone to get in early to get their phones too. I think thats a good idea so that the servers don't crash trying to activate every phone at the same time

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Got a confirmation email from AT&T this morning that said

I hope that "on or after" is just a "cover-our-ass" sort of statement. Regardless, my credit card has not been charged yet as the order still hasn't shipped, according to the link in the email.
I hope it works out for you, Dave, but after taking up to two weeks (IIRC) for direct fulfilment orders to be filled last year, I just can't bring myself to trust AT&T.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I hope it works out for you, Dave, but after taking up to two weeks (IIRC) for direct fulfilment orders to be filled last year, I just can't bring myself to trust AT&T.
Why did you have to go and remind me about all of that?

:sick: