Has your iPhone paid for itself yet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 9, 2007
Just curious to know has the iPhone made anyone money yet, like though work productivity, contacts, etc... I personally have pimped this phone for all that it's worth...literally, and figuratively. Great icebreaker and conversation piece.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if my iPhone ever paid for itself... wow... that's an idea.

if that ever happens, i'll buy a round for everyone here.

marktang

Oct 9, 2007
hey shaolin wuz up....just add apps on it to show customers at the store i work at. ppl are amazed how much stuff you can put on the phone

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
ABSOLUTELY! My iPhone has paid for itself like 6 times ove...no no...wait...wait...sorry my bad. Nope. Not even close to paying for itself.

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Mine has paid for itself several times over. I am an airline pilot and receive email updates on different trips, some way more productive and I am able to trade them via the internet. The first week I had it it paid for itself in one trade.

dseig001

Oct 6, 2007
Well my iPhone itself hasn't made me money, but the iPhone has - my stock has gone up about 80 bucks a share since I bought it - covering way more than the cost of my phone, and a years worth or service :)

Oct 9, 2007
Not yet.

I was using a Samsung phone that had Blackberry email, but had the cheesy two-character-per-key keyboard and an even lousier Samsung implementation of the keyboard and no Mac sync. Entry was almost useless at times making entering contacts, calendar info and email replies dreadfully slow. I felt I couldn't bill clients for the extra time it was taking.

The smoothness of using the iPhone has me getting in an extra billable hour some days. And the headphone allows me to walk down the street listening to the iPod, take a call and handle something and go right back to the iPod when they hang up. For what I do it's a very efficient way to get things done. I've only had it a week, but figure it will have paid for itself in about a month.

Kevin

ijosheek

Aug 1, 2007
As a graphic/industrial designer, I use my iPhone to keep me connected with my emails accounts everywhere I go. Which allows me to stay connected with my clients. The first week of owning the iPhone, received a new freelance job... meaning it paid for the phone ($699) and then almost 2 years worth of phone bills. :cool:

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
not my iPhone but the iPhones made me so much extra ca$h
I was able to get me a fully loaded x61 and extras
and now I'm lookin at a new car Touareg2 V10Turbo diesel
I may have to settle for a 2006 or 2007
unless I find a faster way to unlock iPhones

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
With all rebates (ATT + Amex + Apple), my iPhone ended up costing me only $150. I hooked up once with a girl thanks to the iPhone. She started saking a couple questions about it, we had a drink and later went back to my place. Since then, we're friends with benefits so to me, even though it didn't bring any money in, it really paid for itself! hehe

ijosheek

Aug 1, 2007
Yes but you didn't get the jobs thanks to your iPhone, so I don't think it really paid for it.
I'd like to think it did... hahahaha. Going from sitting in Starbucks for their WiFi to just using EDGE (slow, but whatever) to keep me connected anywhere, kind o helps out.

awww and you ruined my moment, puhahaha. jk jk. :p

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Dollars for dollars, it's hard to quantify exactly HOW much the iPhone has paid me back or whether it's paid for itself yet or not, but here's some examples of how it's saving me money...

When I drove down to Florida recently I was able to keep in touch via email with work and family back home, WITHOUT having to pull off the interstate and find a wifi hotspot. That saves gas, and we all know gas ain't cheap.

I am also often on deadlines so every time I'm accessible by e-mail, phone or text message, when I otherwise wouldn't have been can potentially save money. For example, should I get an email that lets me know a deadline has been pushed up or back, it lets me know I can adjust my schedule at a moment's notice, wherever I am. Yesterday I got an email from my boss asking for proofs unexpectedly, and he wanted them by 5pm... I was able to make the decision to go home and do it for him when I otherwise wouldn't have known until after it was too late. We have a deadline coming up on a big job, and missing that deadline could cost thousands.

While traveling, the iPhone has saved me from some traffic jams. Again, gas savings.

In the work environment, I'm definitely able to stay more productive and efficient. Being able to have email at my fingertips, being able to show clients relative material (even proofs) has saved time and time is money. It also continues to reenforce that I am professional and prepared.

In several meetings since I've had the iPhone I've been able to use it to take notes or look up something on the internet. I even had the CEO ask me to borrow it for the calculator. While it is not more useful than my laptop in these scenarios, it impressed my bosses, and since I'm in the process of asking for a raise, every little bit helps :)

And one last thing in the personal realm... when shopping I can price-compare without going to six million different stores. This came in handy recently when I was shopping for a new washer and dryer. I can be standing in PC Richards while looking at the prices in Best Buy and Sears on their websites. I can compare feature sets and look up warranties... AND I have the latest info at my fingertips both for my own knowledge and as a bargaining chip. "Well buddy, Best Buy is selling the same set for $100 cheaper..." and guess what? The salesman than drops HIS price.

I'm sure there's other examples I could come up with, but I'm very happy so far with the efficiency and access-to-info the iPhone has given me.

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
This being my first phone with a full keypad i love it. Managing restaurants, i have to check emails and text back and forth between other managers and my regional director. SO this is great. Also I believe it has paid for itself with my 3rd party apps creating a huge fun factor. I mean come on, there are millions of options out there if i just want a phone to talk on. we all purchased the iPhone for its bells and whistles.

sunny_and72

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
san diego
www.crystalninja.com
Yes it has Paid for itself

Yes, I believe it has. Including all the time and accessibility it gives us throughout the day as stated above, I can count the actual profits from my newly independent crystalling company. I have worked on about 12 different iPhones, not to mention 25 or so other phones and projects from people seeing my custom design on my personal iPhone. After all the expenses of running this small-in home studio, I have paid for my iPhone and the next year worth of service.

Going to Berlin in 2 weeks to work for the Big Blinger Bosses at Bling-My-Thing.com, just the opportunities the iPhone brings cannot be counted in my experiences... yet. lol..

I heart iPhone!
kel

artherd

Oct 18, 2007
Not only has the iPhone paid for itself in the first day of use (reviewing and approving PDF plans while on the road == very powerful to be able to act so fast.)

But it's also gotten me laid :D)

:cool: Thanks Apple!

applecart

Bronze
Oct 13, 2007
miami, fl
ok, no sex yet from the iPhone, but i do tend to keep a low profile. the "can i see it" requests got annoying by the end of the first day.

aside from that, this this is worth every penny! stuck on tarmac last nite for 2 hours, waiting for mechanical repairs, checked work email, had yahoo mail push, viewed excel documents and gave feedback, all while watching "300" on widesceen, heck yeah, worth every penny!

ok, now it's time for Applecart to make Applesauce.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
The phone has done nothing towards paying for itself. Part of it might have been the plan I had on Verizon to here, so doing things like using maps to find a hotel vs calling info did not save me money, maybe time, but then again I was just sitting at a bar drinking the last time I did a search like this so I can't actually say it saved me time in that case either. It does save some weight when I am biking. I no longer carry a phone and iPod, so I guess in the long run it might save on medical bills? It has made me more accessible when on vacation, so the last vacation I took I ended up doing work on one of the days, so there it cost me a vacation day and a days worth of pay (since I am salary). So, no, so far it most likely has cost me more then advertised for the phone. But wahtever, still is a decent phone. =)