Have iPhone - don't use 'phone'

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Hi,

I bought the iPhone about a month after it came out and before the iPod touch came out. Should have waited. I love my iPhone except I never use the phone features (i use my blackberry on verizon). Can I cancel my service to AT&T and continue to use my iPhone like an iPod touch? I have wifi at home and work so I assume I could still get on the internet.

Has anyone done this or do you know if it will work?

Thanks!

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
haven't tried it but have read that once you take out the sim you can indeed use your phone as an iPod touch.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmmm interesting question.

While not the original question, it also makes me wonder if you could get a data-only plan for the V1 iPhone.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ok, let's see... I just took out my SIM card and on Wi-Fi so if this message gets posted, then, yes, you can use your iPhone as an iPod touch if you take out the sim card

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
ok, let's see... I just took out my SIM card and on Wi-Fi so if this message gets posted, then, yes, you can use your iPhone as an iPod touch if you take out the sim card
ok its that simple then....I new it would work. Sometimes when I switch on my phone and bypass the sim unlock I have used the iPhone as an iPod touch on wifi

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. I've tried that before (just taking out the sim) and everything worked just like you'd expect it too. Just if you left wifi, you weren't able to connect to anything.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
The big part is I don't want to PAY AT&T anymore. I want to pay my early termination fee and get out of the contract. So if I call and cancel, then take my sim card out (which - how do you do that), will it work?

Thanks!

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
yes get rid off att service and use it as an ipod. you do not need to take the sim out if you don't want to.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Hmmm interesting question.

While not the original question, it also makes me wonder if you could get a data-only plan for the V1 iPhone.
You can. It's 20 bucks - it's for the hearing impaired. TUAW.com did a write up on it a while ago... I'll see if I can dig it up...