Have questions about iPhone? Apple tech here

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
stuart and Applejon... another member (Spin This!) suggested this on another thread...

To mass delete emails, maybe "shrinking" pinch to grab a bunch of mail and then tapping on a trash icon

pianoadam

Jun 29, 2007
volume/speaker issue

Hey Stuart and AppleJohn-

the issue regarding volume IS a problem. both my sis and dad have one as well as me and I can tell you the volume on all 3 headsets does not get as loud as it should during calls. It is a decent volume but anything less than maximum is just not loud enough. I'm sure this is something that can be fixed via firmware, but i worry Apple does not want to admit it made a mistake setting the volume to low. but MANY people share the same feelings as I. go compare the treo 700p volume to the iPhone, it is twice as loud at maximum.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
stuart and Applejon... another member (Spin This!) suggested this on another thread...

To mass delete emails, maybe "shrinking" pinch to grab a bunch of mail and then tapping on a trash icon
That does sound like a cool idea! Pretty "Appleish" too......;)

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007

It would be nice if we could just make it work like we want it to work.. I think this is a great idea but it adds to the list of functions that the pinch gesture does, and that may cause mass confusion.

the issue regarding volume IS a problem. both my sis and dad have one as well as me and I can tell you the volume on all 3 headsets does not get as loud as it should during calls. It is a decent volume but anything less than maximum is just not loud enough. I'm sure this is something that can be fixed via firmware, but i worry Apple does not want to admit it made a mistake setting the volume to low. but MANY people share the same feelings as I. go compare the treo 700p volume to the iPhone, it is twice as loud at maximum.
Are you saying the volume on the headset (Apple Earbuds) is not loud enough? or the volume on the handset is not loud enough?

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
How much ram does the iPhone have?
How much RAM does the Nokia N95 have? or the BlackBerry 8800 Series? ...

it has enough.

These are manufacturer's hardware specifications here, something that RARELY becomes public. I'm sure SOMEONE knows, but you won't find the answer.

ngl1145

Jun 30, 2007
I have to agree with you on this. At first I thought I had a hardware issue with my particular phone. So I went to the Apple store to try many many handsets to see if there was one that actually had a speakerphone that I could hear in the store. None of them were able to audible at max volume unless I put the phone near my ear. If I left it on the counter, I could barely hear anything. I too feel that the volume needs a fix.

JHoffy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Exchange Sync

Hey Stuart. Thanks for all the answers.

So, Is Apple feeling the pressure from people who rely on MS Exchange to sync contacts, calendar, and email?

Is Exchange connectivity going to come soon, or at all?

I love the iPhone, but lack of Exchange connectivity may become a deal-breaker for me. Since I changed over to the iPhone, I realize how much I miss it...

Jon

A320CA

Jul 3, 2007
Are you saying the volume on the headset (Apple Earbuds) is not loud enough? or the volume on the handset is not loud enough?

The volume on both the handset and speaker. I can tell you that the #1 complaint I have read on forums and heard in person is the volume. The earbuds seem to work fine, but not everyone uses earbuds. The consensus seems to be that if you have to use the earbuds for sufficient volume then there is something wrong that needs fixing.

martigen

Jun 30, 2007
How many iPhones were made, i've heard rumours that 3 million were produced as well as 500,000, any input on that?

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
The volume on both the handset and speaker. I can tell you that the #1 complaint I have read on forums and heard in person is the volume. The earbuds seem to work fine, but not everyone uses earbuds. The consensus seems to be that if you have to use the earbuds for sufficient volume then there is something wrong that needs fixing.
Yes, the volume is my main complaint as well. Is there any way that they can fix this problem through an update on iTunes, or would they just have to correct it in future models, leaving us stuck with the low-volume phones?

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Applejon,

Any chance of some calendar widget updates?

For example...

1) User-settable alert times? I hate that I cant choose my own alert time, like say, 1 minute, or 5 hours.

2) Categories. All events look the same, so its hard to distinguish between them. Categories would alleviate this, and if they had different colors, month view could be a lot more useful.

3) Week view. List view would be alright, but it shows EVERY single event. I just want it to show the next 7 days, otherwise repeated events make the list view impossible to read.

4) Drag-able events to reschedule. I think having the ability to drag events into new days for an easy reschedule would be awesome.

Any chance any (or all) of those could be implemented into the calendar widget? Right now, it feels very basic, and almost useless to really help you organize things.

Thanks Applejon!

SNICKA

Jul 4, 2007
We need to control mail settings for each email account. ie. i want to check my work email every 15 min but my gmail i can live with checking every 2 hours. it will help save battery life.

also, we need bcc! in general when composing emails and bcc yourself option for pop email. (not needed for gmail, as sent mail goes to the inbox automatically)

hellno!

Jul 2, 2007
I don't think I've ever bashed Apple. But good to hear they are aware of the early issues. The phone besides the issues I listed is amazing.

i haven't ever bashed Apple either but this is ubsurd (But good to hear they are aware of the early issues) thats crap for 600 dollers the stuff that is wrong should not be. how could they have started selling this phone with out fixing them. i mean seriously steve jobs had the phone for what months befor anyone had it testing it him self how could he have not seen the problems with it. this time i think Apple went to far small problems should be expected but this is crazy.

no camera options? a ressed head phone jack? almost no standerd cell phone options like ringtones and voice dialing. a terrible speaker.

steve jobs you messed up

MacDaddyDizz

Jul 4, 2007
Aside from what I've noticed on my own listed above. Is there anyway to change ringtones for texts, emails, and calls all separately. Also is there anyway to use my music as ringtones?

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I would also really like a NAG feature. That quick vibrate does nothing for me. I want it to vibrate longer, and more often (like every 30 seconds or a minute for 5 minutes).

osiris24x

Jul 4, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I'm also looking forward to louder speaker phone and earpiece volume, but I'm curious about how the auto brightness is intended to work. Is it supposed to be immediate? Does the change only occur after you wake iPhone, and not really work on the fly? Why doesn't the brightness slider in settings move when you are at full brightness and then go into a dark room?

Thanks
I've noticed these issues as well, rarely does the auto-brightness work automatically, but rather, kicks in after you wake the phone up.

osiris24x

Jul 4, 2007
Portland, Oregon
How much ram does the iPhone have?

Keep in mind that RAM is a rapid form of storage access, designed to bypass the slowness of using a hard drive. The iPhone has no hard drive, and thus likely has no RAM. The only memory I know of, is the 16k cache that the iPhone's ARM CPU uses. Other than that, the OS likely just writes straight to the 4 or 8 GB of flash memory that it has.

djflyy

Jul 1, 2007
is there any chance fot flash support? or does that voilate the terms with youtube or something. because if there was ever gona b flash support there would be no need for youtube to convert all the files into that weird format

Status
Not open for further replies.