Have quicktime file, want to reduce size...

Rex32

Nov 29, 2007
Hello Everyone,
I have a copy of Mr. Brooks that is an MPEG-4 movie. It is really great quality but I don't every want to connect it to my tv and watch it or anything, I'd rather conserve the space on my iPhone...
Does anyone know an easy to reduce the file from its current 740mb size to something like 200 or 300mb?
I've tried a few programs and they didn't really work or would output a file that is right around the same size...

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Mike

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm afraid I don't know any programs that do it, but I'll look around. I do know, however, that decreasing the file's size will also decrease the movie's quality.

- John

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Hello Everyone,
I have a copy of Mr. Brooks that is an MPEG-4 movie. It is really great quality but I don't every want to connect it to my tv and watch it or anything, I'd rather conserve the space on my iPhone...
Does anyone know an easy to reduce the file from its current 740mb size to something like 200 or 300mb?
I've tried a few programs and they didn't really work or would output a file that is right around the same size...

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Mike
If you are on a Mac, you could try HandBreak http://handbrake.fr/, where you have several options when ripping, but a movie of the length of Mr. Brooks, well you are already pretty low. You are going to loose quality, big time.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Mike
If you are on a Mac, I've found Visual Hub to be extremely effective. Visual Hub allows you to optimize the size of the file to fit in the iPhone. I've tried three different settings - EDGE, Tiny and WiFi. The difference is in screen resolution and bit rate. I've used the software to convert several 1500 kbps videos to ~70 kbps, ~140 kbps, and ~500 kbps. The first two settings I use to stream videos from my Mac using EDGE and Wi-Fi; the third setting I use to store videos directly on my iPhone ~500 MB for a 1.3 GB movie.

CanSpec

Bronze
Mar 5, 2008
I'm afraid I don't know any programs that do it, but I'll look around. I do know, however, that decreasing the file's size will also decrease the movie's quality.

- John
can u let me know as well please. Can u recommend a good converter as well? Thant