Have some questions about the Lightning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by bitemyapple, Jan 23, 2014.

1. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

Just had a few questions about the Lightning cable.

- What is the length of the Lightning cables that come with the 5s, 5c and the iPad Air? Are they all the same. Asking this b/c I might need to purchase some and need to know what length cord came with each device.
    - Is the Lightning cable compatible with all devices, can I use my iPhone 5s Lightning cable to charge my iPad Air and vice versa?
    - What are the different sizes/length the Lightning cable come in?
    - Last question... My current Lightning cable, the one that came with my Air, the end of the cable, the rubber is coming off, it's all stretched. Would AC+ send me a new one, do they cover that? Or am I on my own?

Thanks for help.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's my understanding that they are the same. Those that come with the iDevice are about 1m or just under 3 1/2 ft. They are available on the Apple Store for $19. You can also get a 2m cable (6.5 ft) for $10 more. Also, you can find Apple certified cables for less at Amazon. AppleCare+ should cover the cable. If I'm wrong about any of this, someone please correct me.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AppleCare+ is $99 and covers accidental damage (water damage, cracked screens, complete destruction if you still have some of the parts to prove it's an iPhone, etc.) with a deductible. It also extends the manufacture's warranty (defects that aren't due to accidental damage) an additional year. The OP's cable will be replaced for free under regular AppleCare since this is a manufacture's defect.

Yes, the 1 meter cable that comes with it is compatible with all of the other newer (Lightning port) Apple devices.

The lightning cables are available in 0.5 meter, 1 meter and 2 meters. But you can get whichever since micro USB cable you want and use a micro to Lightning adapter and not lose music playback. Some of the knockoff cables only charge and sync.

Make a Genius Bar appointment. Apple will replace the cable for free. You do not need to make an AppleCare+ claim as this is a defect of the cable. If you don't live near an Apple Store, Apple will ship you one. The shipping fees will be waived if you are an AppleCare+ customer even though you won't be using AppleCare+ for this replacement.

4. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

I was told that all iPhones come with a 0.5m cord. If I had a tape mesuarer laying around I would use that. I don't mean to ask dumb questions. My girlfriend lost her iPhone 5c cable and I wanted to buy the same one. I also might need to get a new iPad Air cable and didn't know the length of that.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I think they have a .5m cable. But that's only 1.6 ft long. They come with a 1m cable. That's just over 3 ft.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1390527470.897515.jpg

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's incorrect. Apple didn't offer the 0.5 meter cable until a month or two after the iPhone 5 launched. It was then and is now only sold separately. The 5, 5s and 5c have always been sold with a 1 meter cable. I got a couple of the 0.5 meter cables last year and they are a little too short for most types of usage.

7. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

your right, apologies. 5/5s/5c and even the ipad air come with a 0.5m cord. I guess the 2m one is only available on the Apple site and in store. i figured being a tablet they would have given a longer cord than 0.5m.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Your still off. They come with the 1m cord, not the .5m cord.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That 0.5 meter cable doesn't come with any of the iPads, iPods or iPhones. They all are sold with 1 meter cable. You have to order a 0.5 meter cable separately if that's what you want.

10. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

Whoops! My fault. I meant to say 1m, didn't mean to type 0.5, was a typo. Sorry. Thanks again for clearing this all up.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm putting the 2m cable in my cart. The extra length will come in handy.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This it? And how do I know if it's the new model? The reviews are mixed.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1390833712.498602.jpg

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I want a 5 meter cable. If they don't make one, I'll make my own :)

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. You have unlimited possibilities with micro USB cables. I made a Lightning cable that's just a few inches to carry in my purse with my small portable Mophie charger. I used an official Apple micro USB to Lightning adapter so it will pass audio and so I don't have to worry about the port falling apart.

16. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Yup, that's it. It is the one I just received. They said it is newer.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I see nothing about shipping. Free? Amazon has the same cable for $16.03 with free shipping. $13.70 is better if free shipping. :)

18. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Two clicks and a zip code entry shows standard US shipping is under $3. Amazon is a great choice, and I always compare.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Thanks. Since I already have 2 items in my Amazon cart, I'll just get it there. I did download the monoprice app. I'll be shopping there some.