Have the needs of the few have outweighed the needs of the many?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was just reading this link, http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4415, with the details of the non Dev Team 3GS JB provided by GeoHot. Do you think releasing this now is going to give Apple the upper hand and expose the loophole they used, thus giving them a way to prevent people who have yet to buy a 3GS from ever being able to JB it? After all, not wanting to hand it over to Apple on a silver platter was the exact reason why the Dev Team hasn't yet released it even though they have had it for a while now.

Did GeoHot use the same method the Dev Team did?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I was just reading this link, http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4415, with the details of the non Dev Team 3GS JB provided by GeoHot. Do you think releasing this now is going to give Apple the upper hand and expose the loophole they used, thus giving them a way to prevent people who have yet to buy a 3GS from ever being able to JB it? After all, not wanting to hand it over to Apple on a silver platter was the exact reason why the Dev Team hasn't yet released it even though they have had it for a while now.

Did GeoHot use the same method the Dev Team did?
I'm really not sure at all on this, but supposedly, you'll always be able to jailbreak your 3GS if you capture your phone's iBEC and iBSS before 3.1 comes out. I'm not planning to jailbreak unless there's absolutely no difference in speed between a jailbroken and stock 3GS, but I grabbed the files of my phone last night. I'd recommend it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I haven't followed this much either before reading the linked post. For all the obvious skills of geohotz, my trust levels for his solutions, or really anyone else's apart from the Dev Team, are pretty low.

I feel like the Dev Team have a very impressive track record by now, and have built up huge credibility and proved they are purely in this for 'the community' and for the sheer challenge of it.

So when there's a split in approach, I know which approach I have faith in.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm not planning to jailbreak unless there's absolutely no difference in speed between a jailbroken and stock 3GS, but I grabbed the files of my phone last night. I'd recommend it.
If there's absolutely no difference, then why would you want to jailbreak? I would think you'd wanna jailbreak if there was a difference.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If there's absolutely no difference, then why would you want to jailbreak? I would think you'd wanna jailbreak if there was a difference.
I'm talking about difference in speed. In the past, jailbreaking has always slowed down my phone considerably. I don't want to loose any of the 3GS's speed.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm not planning to jailbreak unless there's absolutely no difference in speed between a jailbroken and stock 3GS, but I grabbed the files of my phone last night. I'd recommend it.
It's been super snappy fast, and battery life seems to be identical. This is the stablest jailbreak yet.