Have Tons of iPhone questions!

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
i have been thinking for a while about getting the iPhone, first the 4GB now the 8GB is out. After searching i still have these questions.

1.Is there FM that can be installed on iPhone to listen to radio?
2.Can you send pictures and videos with TXT or only with bluetooth?
3.Programs to watch TV on iPhone?
4.Is the ringing pretty loud, vibrate with ring or just ring?
5.how is the volume while talking on the phone?
6.Does it have alarm clock with different rings?
7.How is the calendar and reminder features?
8.can GPS be installed on the iPhone?
9.any way possible to hook up iPhone to car stereo, via FM transmitter or other way?
10.Can you watch any videos online, such as google videos yahoo, sites that have full movies uploaded? or just youtube?
11.how good is the ATT internet speed
12.Can iPhone be hooked up to a laptop to be able to connect to Internet, or laptop connect to iPhone with Wifi?
13.Does iPhone come with missed call or received TXT indicator, like a light blinding or screen flashing?
14.Does iPhone come with a stop watch?
15.Is txting pretty easy with one hand or you have to focus with both hands?
16.when online do you use your finger as if it was a mouse?

thank you much! :)

Novembers Paul

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
i have been thinking for a while about getting the iPhone, first the 4GB now the 8GB is out. After searching i still have these questions.

9.any way possible to hook up iPhone to car stereo, via FM transmitter or other way?
10.Can you watch any videos online, such as google videos yahoo, sites that have full movies uploaded? or just youtube?
12.Can iPhone be hooked up to a laptop to be able to connect to Internet, or laptop connect to iPhone with Wifi?
13.Does iPhone come with missed call or received TXT indicator, like a light blinding or screen flashing?

thank you much! :)
1. Not that I know of.
2. Neither. Email, or sync to the computer via USB port.
3. You can upload then like movies to watch. There are SOME sites but nothing GREAT... YET.
4. The Old Fashioned Phone ring tone is loud. It also vibrates when it rings.
5. Volume is just OK. It could stand to be louder though.
6. Yes. The alarm clock is good, and uses any of your tones to wake you.
7. Calendar is basic, an upgrade is needed as well. Basic use, it's fine!
8. No. Not yet. Google maps works well though, and with Cell Tower locater coming, it will be better.
9. Yes. Many ways actually!
10. There are a few sites to watch videos, as long as they are NOT flash based.
11. It's fine for me. Faster then I expected. Edge isn't HORRIBLE, but 3G would be nice.
12. Not unless you Jailbreak your phone. Then, yes.
13. No. When you activate the screen, you will see the missed call message. No continuous blinking lights or beeps though.
14. Yes!
15. It's easy with one hand. 2 is easier though.
16. Yes. It's actually very easy to navigate around.

Hope this helps!

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
no but theres a program called iRadio that lets you listen to internet broadcasted radio. you will need to jailbreak it to dl program.

text messaging is only for words. send pics with "sendpics" program (will also need to jailbreak). the iPhone cannot save video currently

3.Programs to watch TV on iPhone? online only. very limited sites. not your regular tv channels

no. you can adjust features though

low but it does have a speakerphone to make it louder

yes

good

no. there is a program that triangulates your position. will need to jailbreak

use headphone jack

not all, but some. yahoo works

slow

you can tether but it takes some configuring

nope, it does have a small red ball on the corner of the program though with a number in it.

yes

yes

yes. most of the time its like the scroll wheel, but you can tap on a link and it will go to it

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
What exactly is jailbreak? i watched some unlocking videos on youtube, and jailbreak was mentioned but not exactly explained, is jailbreak= unlocked?

connecting iPhone to car stereo with a phone jack? like with a case player, what if you have only a CD player? For example ipods have this thing caller iTrip you connect it to your ipod and can play music through FM trasmitter

how come there is no flash installed on the phone, will that be available? because many videos online use flash, i can see it being annoying.

I have ATT right now, and i have blackberry without an internet plan, can i use iPhone and blackberry by changing the sim cars somehow? if i jailbreak it can i then use both phones? Id like to have that freedom of not being stuck with something if you know what i mean.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
There are two major terms when it comes to the phone. Jailbreak and Unlock. Jailbreaking is opening the protected areas of the phone to allow the installation and running of 3rd party software. Unlocking is making the phone able to work with providers other than AT&T. Currently you cannot unlock the 1.1.2 OTB phones using software/hack methods. There is a hundred dollar sim that is supposed to work but you have to cut your sim and do some other modifications to make it work and I have never tried it.

You can connect your iPhone to a car stereo if the car stereo has a built in iPod connection. You can also use some aftermarket FM transmitters.

We don't know why there is no Flash on the phone. Hopefully it will be added on a future upgrade.

I have never done sim card swaps so cannot answer your question on that.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
What exactly is jailbreak? i watched some unlocking videos on youtube, and jailbreak was mentioned but not exactly explained, is jailbreak= unlocked?

connecting iPhone to car stereo with a phone jack? like with a case player, what if you have only a CD player? For example ipods have this thing caller iTrip you connect it to your ipod and can play music through FM trasmitter

how come there is no flash installed on the phone, will that be available? because many videos online use flash, i can see it being annoying.

I have ATT right now, and i have blackberry without an internet plan, can i use iPhone and blackberry by changing the sim cars somehow? if i jailbreak it can i then use both phones? Id like to have that freedom of not being stuck with something if you know what i mean.
Unlocking you do when you want to use another service provider other than AT&T. Jailbreaking is so you can customize your phone and add 3rd party apps. And I'm sure they'll have a phone/ car setup like the itrip soon if they already don't. And I'm sure there will eventually be flash in an upgrade.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I won't repeat answers will just add things I can/wish to expand on.

Pictures only, via e-mail, you can send to the phone of a friend and it will arrive most of the time. Here is the carrier listings to do this (XXXX's are the phone number with no -):
Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com
Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

Ring volume is low and the tones with the exception of one or two (old phone comes to mind) are not distinct enough to hear unless you are in an area more on the quiet side. With stock tones I miss calls frequently, with custom tones I do not. The vibrate is fair. I use a hip case and can feel it though I do get a fair number of phantom vibrates (obviously not phone related).

Fair, could be far louder, you need to actually make sure that your ear is right over the receiver and it takes a little to get used to as there is no tactile guide on the face of the phone to guide your ear there.

Any rings you want if you add custom rings.

Decent, you can add in events and sync them to your computer.

A company is supposed to be coming out with one that will attach to the bottom port in late feb. I remember reading this on iPhoneatlas or the iPhone site at macworld.

Headphone jack with an adapter works well. This uses a different size headphone plug so all your current ones, not modified, will not work.

There is something at avotmv.com that lets you see more videos at a higher quality. I have not tested it.

Fair. I live in SLC, Utah and I find that the more populated the area the better the speed. The internet for me always works faster if I do not hold the phone do to the odd placement of the phone antenna (on the bottom where almost all people hold a phone).

yes, does lap counters and stuff too.
I am very good at one hand or two. It is easy once you get the hang of it.

You can move the screen around with your finger and you can zoom with your finger

One word of advice, test the phone thoroughly in the first 14 days so you can return/exchange it. I find the phone portion of the iPhone to lack seriously. Even with 5 bars I get frequent drops, half conversations, and it can go from 5 bars to no service without moving the phone at all. I am going to the Apple store at lunch today to see if my phone is crapping out on me.

Here were the last two comments the two main women in my life said about my phone:

Wife - "That phone is a f*&^ing piece of $h!t. Replace it now as I will not be calling you on it anymore."
Boss - "Work will no longer pay for your plan as we cannot reach you on the phone when we need you, when we do reach you we cannot hold a conversations. My boss suggested I get 2 cups and a piece of string as that will be more reliable."

So just a word of caution.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
here is an interesting article i found, http://www.iPhonefreak.com/2007/07/iphone-hardware.html

the platform also has the GPS, FM tuner and 3G capabilities already built-in.All those features can be activated by a simple firmware update! so why not already?!
It doesn't have any of those things, the Infineon chip is merely compatible with the hardware, it doesn't actually do any of them itself. That article's dated 31st of July.