Have you seen the iOS 8 Infinity icons?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chris, Mar 20, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

These guys have created a campaign to get Apple to reconsider their icon design choices. They've taken the current iOS 7 design ethos and created new icons would be considered 'flat'. They do away with the vibrant, almost neon colors of iOS 7 and replace that with flat colors.

ios8infinity.png

I'm not sure I buy into this look. Before iOS 7 (and even after the WWDC announcement), I would have been all over this design. Now that I've had a settling in period, I'm generally okay with the brightly colored icons. This iOS 8 Infinity project looks like themes I've downloaded on Android. Not to say it's not a good look, but it's a little too drab.

I'd like to see a middle ground. They modified colors in iOS 7.1 for some of the icons (Phone, Messages). They shouldn't go too far, but muting a bit wouldn't be the worst thing.

What do you think about the iOS 8 Infinity icons and design?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I still prefer the icons of iOS 6. I like textures and shadows.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They changed it because so many people were obsessed with change for the sake of change. I couldn't care less if they look like iOS 6 or iOS 7. I just want to be able to shrink them and hide the labels.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

But that would be customizing it & we all know how Apple feels about that. LOL

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Themes, icon customization. That would be a huge businesss for designers and people would absolutely love it. I've given up asking for that, as we know it will never fly with Apple. Honestly, after seeing some of the themes people put on their iPhones, I do think the current system saves people from themselves. No one should go through live with Comic Sans on their iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I understand why they will never allow Winterboard-type customization, but very basic stuff that we can adjust in settings that won't affect stability would be nice.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never believed we would actually get that. Changing fonts and customizing themes requires full file system access and that's not going to happen for various reason. I just want some very basic customization options through the Settings app. I'm not going to give up hope for it. There is no reason against adding settings options to hide the dock and allowing us to scale down the icons a bit. It doesn't affect stability and it wouldn't give people the opportunity to mess up their phones.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Give people some very basic, innocuous options for customization and they will have fewer reasons to jailbreak. I will never justify or support Apple for failing to do this.

A lot of people's #1 or #2 reasons for jailbreaking is simple stuff such as shrinking icons, hiding the dock and icon labels and arranging the icons how they want. This stuff doesn't make the springboard look terrible like some themes and it doesn't make the phone unstable.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

those just look bland to me. like windows mobile.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This set looks identical to a theme available in Android.

11. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Android

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I haven't heard of these guys before, and I'm not impressed by their work at all. So, they changed the Music icon from two eighth notes beamed together to a single eighth note? No, thank you.

eighth.jpg ———— >> sucky.jpg ? No. Just, no.

Also, what is that middle icon in the bottom row supposed to be? Is that a Target® store icon? What is the function of that icon? Should we tap on that icon before walking into a Target® store to turn on an upcoming chip in the next iPhone, a chip which helps prevent our credit card information from being stolen during check-out at the register?

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The clock looks horrible. I'd have to not use it and hide it with stocks and passport in a folder way over on a page all by itself. Fortunately these are concept apps and hopefully not to be used.

#13 Ledsteplin, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They should use the clock icon they payed 21 frackin' million dollars for.

Must be nice to spend to have that kinda cash lying around :)

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I could have designed an original clock icon for them for half that amount. :D