Have you updated to iOS 6, what are your first impressions

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
So far not blown away. The maps worked ok, only it gave me the wrong distance between two points. Following the same route my GPS (Garmin bike computer) clocked the ride at 12.8 miles and maps told me it would be about 16 miles. I think I just need to play with it more to see if it will do better at turn by turn than Waze.

Passbook does not do anything, which is odd.

Siri still cannot execute simple functions such as "turn off blue tooth" and "put phone in airplane mode"

Some things look prettier which is nice. I like the way the music player looks. I will install it on my ipad and see what new things appear there! I think maps will look pretty and I want to see what all the fuss is about the new clock app on the ipad as well.

BillF

Mar 5, 2012

BillF

Mar 5, 2012
I upgraded my 4S a few minutes after 1 pm EDT. It went smooth and pretty fast. So far I really like iOS 6. Several cool features. A few hours later I got notified that 3 apps needed upgraded and when I went to do it my wi-do connection started acting really funny, kept dropping out and giving me a login screen at Apple that didn't have a login! I ended up deleting my wi-do connection and re-signing I to it. Then everything was fine.

Should have my iP5 in a few days and my wife wants my 4S to replace her EVO Shift Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic1519

Jan 26, 2011
installed it so far love it. only issue i'm having is with the bluetooth.
i had no problem with it connecting with my jvc unit in my car.
but that's when it got weird. once it was connected all sounds stop working.
ringtone, text tone, new mail, everything. maps would only give turn by turn
through the phone. the phone and my car radio showed synced. i thought the way it
should work would be to lower the volume as it gave out directions. also once i turned off
bluetooth settings all sounds started to work again. hope this is a bug they fix fast

Goodtimekid

Bronze
Jan 28, 2012
The dialler looks weird yes. Voiceon maps don't work but maps app looks great. Passbook doesn't work either

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
installed it so far love it. only issue i'm having is with the bluetooth.
i had no problem with it connecting with my jvc unit in my car.
but that's when it got weird. once it was connected all sounds stop working.
ringtone, text tone, new mail, everything. maps would only give turn by turn
through the phone. the phone and my car radio showed synced. i thought the way it
should work would be to lower the volume as it gave out directions. also once i turned off
bluetooth settings all sounds started to work again. hope this is a bug they fix fast
bluetooth is like this with any headset with A2DP enabled. It has to "wake" the headset and sends sounds via BT to the ear piece. I haven't upgraded, and I have this issue with my jawbone icon. I recent got a icon HD off amazon, and the response is faster, but I still only hear the audible tail end of a notification when I get a text.
Try turning off A2DP and see if you hear the sounds from the phone again.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Emails and text seem faster. Passport is a waste. Maybe better when it works. Maps are cool although I will miss street view. Turn by turn nav is great. The new safari features are nice. Why no full screen view on iPad? The jury is still out on Siri. Still inconsistent. When will it ever come out of bata? New call options on phone may be useful. Overall not bad at all. With that said its still missing some cool Android features.

Nov 4, 2010
Passport works just fine. Don't open the app directly. You should open the app that you want to link to passport, like Starbucks. Once in the app, there's tons of info you can add, like preferred locations or loyalty card information.

Go to www. Passsource.com to find a list of participating apps.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Ugh... error 3194... can't seem to get out of DFU mode to recover. Fun times. I'll keep at it.

*** Right after posting... seems like it's working now. heh***

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have an iPhone 4 currently and I am downloading iOS 6 to my laptop. Is it me, or is this update friggin HUGE?
887.6MB!
Is that right?

I haven't finished downloading it yet, but I am not sure about updating when it's finished. Of the few JB tweaks I have and use regularly, I do use them and not quite ready to give them up. Although, I won't have a choice when my iPhone 5 arrives and I sell this phone to my nephew.
At that point, I'm going to treat the iPhone 5 as a whole new experience fresh from the box... That I just happen to already have apps for.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Does anyone know if you can get rid of VIP in Mail.app? I won't use it and its annoying to look at.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
I am still trying to get used to it but in some ways iOS 6 seems like a step, or 2, backwards.

And the phone dialer, why did they change to the new one?!

Slu

Dec 14, 2011
I had a hard time with Passbook and said couldn't cannery with iTunes...got a tip to go to Date and Time in settings, turn off set automatically, then manually set date a year out. Go to Passbook and should work, did for me. Then go back to Date and time and click on set automatically.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
I think something is wrong with me. I've now installed iOS6, and am sitting here looking at my iPhone 4S, and wondering, now what?

I'm still not seeing the whole 'wow' factor yet. The tweet from the notification bar is okay, and so is the panorama photo taking option. But...
There's no wow factor unless you like the irritating 1990s 1st gen dialer.

Supposedly the changes are mostly subtle like moving Bluetooth option to front of settings.

BillF

Mar 5, 2012
Not a big deal, but has anyone else noticed that when you wake the phone up or push the sleep button you no longer get the audible "click"? Maybe this is another subtle change to save battery? Maybe I set something incorrectly?

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
Not a big deal, but has anyone else noticed that when you wake the phone up or push the sleep button you no longer get the audible "click"? Maybe this is another subtle change to save battery? Maybe I set something incorrectly?
No problem hearing the click on my end.

Sent from my 3rd Gen iPad iOS 5.1.1 using iCafe app

Markyboy

Bronze
Oct 29, 2011
I'm actually really liking the update. It might be in my head but it seems to make my 4s slightly snappier and responsive, especially when typing.
I like the do not disturb feature, and the VIP email folder, plus Siri is much better for uk users. And no bugs as yet!

The only thing that lets it down for me is that podcasts have been removed from music and you have to download a separate app. There is now no option to set a playlist for podcasts which is a pain.

BillF

Mar 5, 2012
No problem hearing the click on my end.

Sent from my 3rd Gen iPad iOS 5.1.1 using iCafe app
Well dang; guess that means I have something set wrong. Thanks for the reply. You are running iOS6, right?