Have you updated to iOS 6, what are your first impressions

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I updated my iPad3 because I wanted to test drive iOS6 before my iPhone5 arrived. I did not have any WiFi issues or mail issues but I think there are some bugs to be ironed out. The connectivity to the store is very slow and there are times where it says unable to download. I click retry and then it resumes. I am guessing that the issue with the store has to do with the many updates out there and millions of users updating their apps (I could be wrong).

I tested out the maps and it is definitely a work in progress. I live on the western part of the Rockaway peninsula in Queens NY. I tried to map a route to 623 10th Avenue in Manhattan. That similar address exists in Brooklyn and it routed me to Brooklyn. I even rephrased my request to NYC and New York, NY and Manhattan and Siri kept routing me to Brooklyn. I finally dropped a pin in Manhattan and it routed correctly.

I turned on to show traffic and unlike in Google where you see shades of yellow, green and red, on Apple Maps you see no color change. I also tried printing the route and it is taking forever to print. It must be going on 15 minutes now. At least it saw my airprint Epson printer!

I do like the Siri integration and I'm willing to put up with these bugs until an update is released. If there was a way to revert back to 5.* I don't even think I'd do it.

Lastly, someone told me about an APP called Scout that is a mapping program. Apple is giving away a full year so I suggest you download while you can get it. I just downloaded it to my iPhone4.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
I downloaded and installed last night onto my 3Gs. Took a good couple of hours to do OTA, and so far so good. Not nothing major to report. Liking the new safari features and the do not disturb. Not so keen on the new look App Store or the music App. Have still to find ALL these other great features.

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
Is it just me or can you not switch to landscape in texting anymore? Maybe mine was just stuck? Eic will go to the side, but my texting won't? Oh no, I will have to downgrade if this is the case.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Government Alerts/Amber Alerts

I finally found on line a suggestion that this class of alerts in NOT available on AT&T. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

advTHANKSance

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Is it just me or can you not switch to landscape in texting anymore? Maybe mine was just stuck? Eic will go to the side, but my texting won't? Oh no, I will have to downgrade if this is the case.
Mines fine. Check you haven't got auto rotate on.

Sent from Lady Sara's iPhone using iCafe app

tybirdtybird

Contributor
Bronze
May 6, 2010
Westfield, In
OMG I scream how excited I am !
I tested Turn by Turn and Siri
Amazing
I still can get over HOW MUCH BETTER SIRI is. She finally understands german accent!
I took wrong turns while blasting sons Dubstep music and talking to Siri
Everything was working as it should.
To bad we/I had to wait so long to get it to work !
Passbook well they could have waited a bid until more Companies get on board.
Overall my 4s seems to already work faster and is more responsive with iOS6
The Photo stream sharing should be a little easier but son and I agree pretty cool feature
Siri is the bomb !
turn by turn fantastic
On Maps I wonder why there is so many complaining ?
I miss streetview so I got an APP what works great
I always used Apps for puplic transportation
Google maps was not up to date and it drove me insane looney
Getting my phone tomorrow and can't wait to see how much faster (always faster) it will be responding.

I love Siri now just wish she does more. Next year when 5s come out she be lot better.

tybirdtybird

Contributor
Bronze
May 6, 2010
Westfield, In
It's ok I like my girl Siri she does good job and she cheap :) Turn by turn ok . It told me turn right why turn when my house is just straight ahead about 1/2 down the road .

Sent from my iPhone 4s BlAcK

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
I have no complaints except the rotate feature on my text messages. This is terrible, it rotates everything else.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I found the sounds to be off.

My ringtone was set to a specific tune, as in 5.1.1 but it still was going off as Marimba (Default). I had to check Marimba and than check my tune again to get it to work.

Also the text tone was set to tri-tone but it wasn't sounding. So, again I had to tap it again to get it to work.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I put iOS 6in yesterday OTA on both my 4S and iPad2. (I was leery of OTA with the last update battery life issue, but figured it had to be fine). It is, I'm in the 90s. I had to run a work errand mid-day and mostly knew where the office was I needed, but not 100%, so I thought I'd try Maps. It plotted a great route for me and told me exactly where the office was, giving me ample notice of when to turn. I read it's giving trouble to some, but I personally had no issue.
I have used Mapquest before as well which is also turn by turn and free, so it's not a totally novel thing, but the fact that it's built in is still nice.
I like the launch apps option too! I tend to forget which app is in which folder or whether I didn't put that one in that folder, so I am most happy to have this option, and I tested it with my Kindle app.

tybirdtybird

Contributor
Bronze
May 6, 2010
Westfield, In
One more thing I did have to put back my ringtone I set up on some of my contact.

Why did Apple didn't have a clock on iPad 2 until now ?

murad32

Oct 27, 2011
It's 2nd day and when I tap passbook it goes to App Store but then the massage pops up that it cannot connect apps store

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
I wish I could go back to IOS 5!

Maps are terrible. Can't find places. Wrong directions. Turn by turn is nice though!

Siri really hasn't improved for me. It can't find things. Improved but not fixed.

I just find it buggy. My calendar has changed. Some appointments New York time, some Toronto, some Ottawa.

Maybe it's better in the US. But here in Ontario,I was expecting more.

Apple has disappointed me lately. iPhone 5, IOS 6, New iPad...

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I have no complaints except the rotate feature on my text messages. This is terrible, it rotates everything else.
Try hard rebooting the iPhone by holding down the power and home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo.