Have you used Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iprncess, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

So what is the obsession with Apply Pay? Why are folks so enamored with using it? Is it really that much more convenient than a debit card or CC?

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Ya I don't get it either.. I can see some excitement over it just for the fact that it's a much more secure & safe process as opposed to using a traditional swipe card..

If my bank supports it at some point I will use it IF I remember..

We are a long ways away from being able to ditch the traditional wallet.. Drivers Licenses, ID cards, Medical cards, Passports ect. still need to be carried.. Maybe by the year 2050 we (not me I'll be dead by then) will be able to ditch the traditional wallet but it's decades away..

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

it's just new and people are curious. For me, it's more about the potential rather than its current state.

my worry is this... it seems like the endgame is to get rid of a physical wallet, which is a noble effort. BUT... do I want to 100% depend on an electronic device for critical stuff like govt identification and payment methods? It seems like the furthest I'll be able to reduce my wallet to would be an ID and maybe a debit card in case I lose my phone, it breaks, or even simply runs out of battery. and if I'm keeping two cards, I might as well keep my other few as well. so idunno. I'm not really convinced it'll be worth all their effort either.

#43 acosmichippo, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not obsessed with it. I just want to test it out. I've got an iPhone 6 and can't test this feature like a lot of people can since my bank doesn't support it yet, so I'm kind of anxious to see how it works. It's nothing more than that. My bank and credit union have both done their part and are waiting on Apple for approval.

I don't think they are trying to replace physical cards. It's just a faster, more secure way of payment that will likely never be available at every location.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'll just enjoy the magic of it. :)

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It's that feeling you have when something is new. I'm not obsessed over apple pay but I want to give it a try and see how well it works. My capital one card is supported so now it is a matter if going to a store where apple pay us accepted.

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I think it's just more of how cool the technology is and people want to play with it. To me it's not any more convenient. In fact it would mean that instead of leaving my phone in the car I have to carry it with me. My CCs are always with me without even thinking about it.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You leave your phone in your car?

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

just used it at the Apple Store to get an apple TV. but unfortunately I didn't get the full experience because the apple employee told me I had to have passbook open for it to work. I didn't think I needed to, but I just went along with it. turns out he wasn't far along enough on his check out system. at that point it was easy enough though.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The Apple employee told you that!? That's shocking...you don't even have to have your iPhone unlocked to use it.

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Sure sometimes. Depends where I am and how long I'll be gone. I always put it in the center console out of sight. Plus I had Tim Cook install Touch ID on the console. :p

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Steve Jobs would do that for you, not sure avoid Tim Cook.

14. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

We were having s discussion in my web class about Steve Jobs. The man was a genius. Not only that, he was a humanitarian and did a lot for the world. His legend will live on but I miss him in charge of Apple. It will be interesting to see over the years what direction Tim Cook takes with the multi-billion dollar company.

15. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

The main place I want Apple Pay to work is in restaurants. I despise giving up my card and watch them disappear with it. I was in British Columbia a couple of times in 2000 and the restaurants we went to had a handheld device that they used right at the table and it even printed out a receipt so your card never left the table. I never understood why this never took off with widespread popularity. Chili's has those table devices where you can pay so it's a start in the right direction.

16. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It took off a little where I live. Applebee's has a device where you can order and pay for the meal at the table. I'd prefer to be seated and have my order taken and not trust the device to get it accurate.

17. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Why don't you trust the device to get your order right? I've paid at the table, but haven't used it to order since the waitress was front and center after we sat down.

18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

It's pretty widespread in Europe. In the US, not so much.

19. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It's more a personalized experience when someone takes your order than having a device do it. Well, I trust it but just as much as I trust that my payment will go through when I hit submit. I feel like if you are in a restaurant, you should not be using a device to take your order but a person. If you are in a hurry, that is why there are fast food chains.

#59 silvermoon, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  20. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Automation is the future whether you like it or not. Unfortuantely the personal touch is being replaced by technology.