Haven't done a Jailbreak in a couple years...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I haven't done a jailbreak since I upgraded to the iPhone 4 in October 2010. I quit because I just lost interest in the constant updates and waiting for when it was safe and blah blah. Just curious... could anyone give me a reason to delve back into the world of custom icons and carrier logos? What are some really good reasons for someone like me to get back into the game? And is it any easier/harder than it was a couple years ago? Safer/riskier? :p

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I haven't done a jailbreak since I upgraded to the iPhone 4 in October 2010. I quit because I just lost interest in the constant updates and waiting for when it was safe and blah blah. Just curious... could anyone give me a reason to delve back into the world of custom icons and carrier logos? What are some really good reasons for someone like me to get back into the game? And is it any easier/harder than it was a couple years ago? Safer/riskier? :p
I've not seen or heard of a bricked iPhone since the ZiPhone days back when the original iPhone was jailbroken. We could sit here and fire questions back at you as to what you actually want your phone to do. I once loved the custom look i.e themed icons, carrier logo's, unlock text strings etc, but I got bored of that and much preferred to tinker around with tweaks. Zephyr has got to be one of my favourites as well as SBSettings. Jailbreaking for me, makes my Apple device even easier to use and in my opinion, better.

Jailbreaking is safe and is usually just a case of getting the phone into DFU and letting the tool do the rest, even a non-techy type could easily jailbreak. Just don't get into the mind-set of thinking you're some big time hacker...

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Oh i never was a big time hacker. Honestly I relied on the support of the people on this forum to do all that I did. :) Custom icons and things are the biggest things that I miss. I don't just miss them a bunch though. Because I made my own and if I get into it again that means a LOT of work for me to make more because I have like 300 apps now. lol I dunno. What kind of tweaks are you refering to? I mean I haven't even followed any modding news since I stopped.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Oh i never was a big time hacker. Honestly I relied on the support of the people on this forum to do all that I did. :) Custom icons and things are the biggest things that I miss. I don't just miss them a bunch though. Because I made my own and if I get into it again that means a LOT of work for me to make more because I have like 300 apps now. lol I dunno. What kind of tweaks are you refering to? I mean I haven't even followed any modding news since I stopped.

IntelliScreenX, SBSettings, BiteSMS, Gridlock, Barrel, Deamboard (good for complex themes), Safari Download Manager, Attachment Saver and WeatherIcon are just some of the tweaks/apps that I love. There are literally tons of tweaks.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Hmmm... I wish there was some sort of guide book as to what those all do... lol When i was modding they were still using winterboard... Tell me about WeatherIcon. I've always thought that the icon should reflect the current temp and weather conditions just like the calendar icon shows the current date... Is it something to that effect?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hmmm... I wish there was some sort of guide book as to what those all do... lol When i was modding they were still using winterboard... Tell me about WeatherIcon. I've always thought that the icon should reflect the current temp and weather conditions just like the calendar icon shows the current date... Is it something to that effect?
WeatherIcon basically adds the current weather to your weather icon. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work, but I haven't tried in a while. Oh and to answer your original question, I have always loved jailbreaking. Have never lost interest. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Jailbreaking only takes a few minutes and you don't need to worry about it voiding the warranty. Apple will replace it if there's a problem and it's within the warranty period.

I don't jailbreak to theme. I jailbreak to enhance functionality of the phone, such as adding quick toggles, enabling sending/replying to messages within apps and on the lock screen, enhancing notification center and the task switcher and enabling gestures.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Jailbreaking only takes a few minutes and you don't need to worry about it voiding the warranty. Apple will replace it if there's a problem and it's within the warranty period.

I don't jailbreak to theme. I jailbreak to enhance functionality of the phone, such as adding quick toggles, enabling sending/replying to messages within apps and on the lock screen, enhancing notification center and the task switcher and enabling gestures.
I liked being able to reply to messages within apps, I may need to reinstall that. I do have themes, but minimal. It does not slow down the phone and it is very fun to do.

Also, people always think and say it will void your warranty, but it does not. If you have an issue with your iPhone or its cracked, just restore it and take it to the Apple store or local store.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep. Always replace it if you can, buy they will replace it if you can't be restored - even if it's jailbroken - as long as it is within the warrant period.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yep. Always replace it if you can, buy they will replace it if you can't be restored - even if it's jailbroken - as long as it is within the warrant period.
I did not know that. But I do know that, usually, if it's jailbroken but the phone itself has an issue that won't let you do something, and it's in the warranty, they won't help you. Sometimes you'll get lucky and talk to a worker who could care less if you're jailbroken, and they will help you.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not worried as much about Apple replacing it as I am about the phone still operating smoothly... Seems like back in the day jailbreaking would leave the system a little buggy with all those non Apple approved apps.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not worried as much about Apple replacing it as I am about the phone still operating smoothly... Seems like back in the day jailbreaking would leave the system a little buggy with all those non Apple approved apps.
My phone is very stable and I don't notice any lag.