haven't lost hope, though still not activated

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
long time browser, first time poster.

as of 7am sunday morning, est, still not activated.

tried switching sim cards, but nothing, though i did get a confirmation number early this morning that i never got before.

3rd in palm coast florida to get 8gb from att store. existing customer. went online at 630pm friday night to activate and got caught in endless loop.

some good news:

after talking to att tech support numerous times, they credited my account $8 -- not sure where they came up with that figure -- and then again last night, after finally losing patience (it had been 25 hours and counting) i insisted they refund me the $36 activation fee which they finally agreed too.

spoke to an Apple rep in jacksonville and he said if i am not activated by monday, i am more than welcome to return the phone with NO restocking fee. this is the last thing i want to do.

long time Apple fan...have waited for the iPhone for months like everyone else here and have followed all the news, forums, etc.

have not lost faith in Apple or att -- they have been completely overwhelmed and no matter how prepared either of them have been, there of course will be hold ups, albeit long hold ups, with any new product. this is new for both Apple and att, so there will be snags at both places.

the att store was very nice to me through the entire buying process and on my returns ...so has phone tech support, and Apple as well.

i have been without a phone since friday night and really don't expect to be up and running until monday afternoon. if not by then, then i will have to re-think my next move.

i'm mostly writing to let those of you in the same situation as me know that you are definitely not alone - even if you aren't hearing from a lot of ppl -- some just haven't posted, like myself.

i'll keep the faith until failure seems inevitable.

thanks to those of you who have provided invaluable information.

i'll let you know what happens next.

carl

MandyCh1ck

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
wow you're taking this better than I would. If I were you I'd try replacing the SIM one last time for good measure and make sure its the new iPhone one...

I don't know, I'm sure you've already heard all the advice in the book.

Hang in there, it'll be worth it!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, C:

I'm in the same boat, although I haven't tried to switch the sim, yet. Perhaps today.

I'm thinking the problem may be in trying to add a phone to another plan. In my case, I had a Cingular account with one phone and tried to add the iPhone to that plan (making it a family plan).

If I do switch sims, I may go through and just set up a stand-alone plan for the iPhone and merge it with the other line at a later date.

Good luck.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Welcome to the boat, Carl. I feel your 35 hour pain, although do not share your faith in ATT. I had been very pleased with my Alltel carrier and had heard so many negs on ATT. From the buying experience (was 30th in line and took 2 hrs) to this disaster to the people on the phone and in the store not being able to offer any help explanation like not even knowing about this SIm card possibility and the CSR I spoke to yesterday morning having the absolute gall to tell me this was the first he ahd heard of the Activation problem, I am totally unimpressed. I have three cell phones and was considering moving all my businesss to them but no way inhell I will now. I'll keep the non iPhones with Alltel and their wonderful My Circle.

Having nothing to lose I guess, I'm going to go get another SIM card when the store opens. I've tried every other trick I've read about on here an the Apple boards and the MacRumors site, all of which have huge discussions going re the Activation nightmare.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
some att ppl are clueless, others aren't.

i don't think it's a bug with the cards or former carriers, or whatever. i think for the most part, the system is just completely overloaded and it's passing phones through in some random order.

i'm not saying that some sim cards aren't bad and some particular phone numbers aren't having other troubles though.

as far as patience, i was fine until +25 hours, that's when i popped my cork with the att rep and he re-imbursed my activation fee. but for the most part, what am i gonna do? i stare at my screen like everyone else and wait as patiently as i can. but there will be a limit and that limit is monday afternoon. after that, "no more mr. nice guy."

one strange thing though; when i got my activation number email, it had a number, and then i got another email with a new number, then i got another email with the first number again. probably from when i switched my sim card.

time will tell, i guess. i just hope i don't have anymore problems once the activation comes through, like poor sound quality or the other things i've been reading about while waiting for my "magic moment."

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
mee too Carl, exactly what's been buggin me as I read about more and more minor and larger problems folks are having once they finally work. This sound problem with the speakerphone and with it up to your ear is one that is really worrying me as I'm old and going semi deeeeeeeeeef! :)

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I am still not activated after 36+ hours, an existing customer... I have tried everything... Time to goto the store today and get a new sim card, hopefully that will work.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
yeah, deac, my hearing isn't what it used to be either.

oh well (i guess we've have both just dated ourselves.)

keep the faith, it will work out one way or the other. it just may not be the way we want it to work out.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
good luck platinum, but it sounds like the sim switch is hit or miss. i hope it works for you, though i wouldn't get my hopes up.

37+hours and counting.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
funny story, Carl. In line Friday, I struck up a conversation with nice young man next to me who seemed amazed that I was using Macs before he was born! We were talking about Activation and he was saying he had to use someone else's Mac cause he was still running Panther. i said yeah and be sure you have 10.4.10. He looked at me with that look my nieces and grandkids give this old man and informed me gently that there was no such thing, that once it got to .10 it would be 10.5. Trying to be helpful I tried to assure him that this was one of the few times the OS had gone to a .10 and that he would need to upgrade to it along with iTunes 7.3. Well he just shook his head and decided to give up with this stooopid old codger. :)

You ought to have seen the look on his face later when someone had a printout of what was necessary for activation and showed it to him!:)

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
good luck platinum, but it sounds like the sim switch is hit or miss. i hope it works for you, though i wouldn't get my hopes up.

37+hours and counting.
My $.02 worth. If I try the sim switch, I will set up the phone in the most basic mode. I won't try to transfer numbers. I won't try to add to an existing account. Doing those things adds another layer or two of variables, which may cause the system to relegate my account into "Cyber Hell."

I understand that I can transfer numbers and merge plans at a later date, so I would try to "stick with the basic(s)".

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
bsharp

that's exactly what I did with the new SIM card try but it still did not work for me. I'm going back at noon when they open to get another one. No one can tell me though if we're screwing up trying this -- I mean am I in two activation hells now -- the 36 hr one with the first SIm card and the 13 hr one with the second and now contemplating a third? I was on hold on that 3701 number for 50 min this morning before getting cut off.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
bsharp

that's exactly what I did with the new SIM card try but it still did not work for me. I'm going back at noon when they open to get another one. No one can tell me though if we're screwing up trying this -- I mean am I in two activation hells now -- the 36 hr one with the first SIm card and the 13 hr one with the second and now contemplating a third? I was on hold on that 3701 number for 50 min this morning before getting cut off.
Sorry to hear that. That blows my theory out of the water.

I really don't know how this will resolve itself. I'm also concerned about getting charged for two accounts, with two sims. Of course, that can be cleared up, but we've already seen how unresponsive AT&T is to customer service calls, so it could take time.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I just talked to some AT&T rep, she looked at my account and said I had no iPhone data package added (I am an existing customer). She said she added it and then transferred me to the "sync" department - where I am now on hold.

I would suggest calling to make sure you have the iPhone data plan added forsure, a lot of people selected it but it was never added it seems.

The # I called is 877-419-4500

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Platinum

I am sooo confused. First of all I called the number you suggested and was totally caught off guard as a live human answered the phone on the first ring!

The lady seemed sharp or at least talked like she knew what she was talking about. She said the sata plan thing made no sense since there aren't any iPhone plans that do not ˆnclude the data plan. She assured me that if I ahd received the email that the process was ¨nderway and there was nothing more that could be done but wait for the next email. She said this politely with all the appropriate apologies etc.

Then we went on to the new SIM card discussion. She insisted that absolutely NOT, no way would that help and was waste of time. She said the SIM card was not the problem, that it was the iTunes/Apple activation of thte iPhone software that was the issue that was holding things up. I questioned her on this and pointed out all our friends on this board that had successful got isntantly activated with new SIM cards. She insisted it made no sense cause that was purely a phone network thing and that until the phone software was active them the SIM card did not matter. She said take it out and put it ˆn anotther phone and you will se that it works fine (I don't ahve another phone that uses these I don't think).

I'm not defending any of the above just passing on what I was told which did nothing but contribute to my confusion and frustration.

Jun 29, 2007
I was #20 in line and was stupidly excited to think that (like the other people I saw walking out of the store with already activated iPhones) that I would be able to play with my phone immediately! As the rest of you, it is 36+ hours and still no activation. I did have an added level of frustration as I was switching from Verizon. However, my phone # was successfuly ported to ATT over 26 hours ago and STILL no activation. The last thing I want to do is return the phone, but seriously? 3/4/5 days without a cell phone? And who knows when activation will actually occur? They had months and months and months to prepare for this - why are they acting like they got caught with their pants down? Does anyone else worry about service/billing issues if they can't even handle the activation of a phone? I've heard really sucky things about ATT service, but decided the iPhone was irresistible. Should I be worried?

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I was #20 in line and was stupidly excited to think that (like the other people I saw walking out of the store with already activated iPhones) that I would be able to play with my phone immediately! As the rest of you, it is 36+ hours and still no activation. I did have an added level of frustration as I was switching from Verizon. However, my phone # was successfuly ported to ATT over 26 hours ago and STILL no activation. The last thing I want to do is return the phone, but seriously? 3/4/5 days without a cell phone? And who knows when activation will actually occur? They had months and months and months to prepare for this - why are they acting like they got caught with their pants down? Does anyone else worry about service/billing issues if they can't even handle the activation of a phone? I've heard really sucky things about ATT service, but decided the iPhone was irresistible. Should I be worried?

I just called that number and she told me that my number wasn't even port yet.

I then told her i would take a new number if it would make it faster but then she told me their porting department was closed.

this sucks

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
i got a confirm number for the first time (only after i switched sims) then got a new confirm - i assume for the new sim, then back to the old confirm number. i don't think switching sims is going to affect your lack of activation if it doesn't activate immediately upon the switch.

an analogy:

picture a swimming pool being emptied by a straw and we are all molecules in the water. molecules don't move in any set order and the ones in the back have as much chance as going through first as the ones in the front (after bumping into each other many times, of course.)

eventually, the pool will empty, no matter how big.

but as more and more ppl become activated, the straw will become a hose, and then a pipe, and so on, getting bigger and bigger.

it will happen, it's just a matter of when. i have faith that we should all be good by tomorrow afternoon. if not, then it's time for sledgehammers against the swimming pool wall!

i strongly suggest calling att customer support and request (politely demand by being firm) a refund on the $36 activation fee. mine has already been credited to this month's bill.

also, if you review your plan online, it should say whether or not you have a data plan now added. mine does. "iPhone data plan...$20.00"

we may be among the last, but our satisfaction shall be greatly enhanced upon activation. those who got activated early will not have had as great an achievement! (yeah, it's crap i know, but it sounds good.)

excelsior!

pharoh

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
long time browser, first time poster.
all you need to do is cal 877-419-4500 (iPhone activation hot line) They will activate your phone as you speak to them. i did it last night..it's about a 20 min hold time all together....try it...phone is cool
as of 7am sunday morning, est, still not activated.

tried switching sim cards, but nothing, though i did get a confirmation number early this morning that i never got before.

3rd in palm coast florida to get 8gb from att store. existing customer. went online at 630pm friday night to activate and got caught in endless loop.

some good news:

after talking to att tech support numerous times, they credited my account $8 -- not sure where they came up with that figure -- and then again last night, after finally losing patience (it had been 25 hours and counting) i insisted they refund me the $36 activation fee which they finally agreed too.

spoke to an Apple rep in jacksonville and he said if i am not activated by monday, i am more than welcome to return the phone with NO restocking fee. this is the last thing i want to do.

long time Apple fan...have waited for the iPhone for months like everyone else here and have followed all the news, forums, etc.

have not lost faith in Apple or att -- they have been completely overwhelmed and no matter how prepared either of them have been, there of course will be hold ups, albeit long hold ups, with any new product. this is new for both Apple and att, so there will be snags at both places.

the att store was very nice to me through the entire buying process and on my returns ...so has phone tech support, and Apple as well.

i have been without a phone since friday night and really don't expect to be up and running until monday afternoon. if not by then, then i will have to re-think my next move.

i'm mostly writing to let those of you in the same situation as me know that you are definitely not alone - even if you aren't hearing from a lot of ppl -- some just haven't posted, like myself.

i'll keep the faith until failure seems inevitable.

thanks to those of you who have provided invaluable information.

i'll let you know what happens next.

carl
call 877 419-4500 they will activateas you speak to them