Having a small issue with sending email, need help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Hey all

I currently have 2 mail account set up on my iPhone.

My Yahoo account works perfectly - Im able to send/receive mail and when I get incoming mail it's pushed to my iPhone. Perfect.

I also have another account, for my home Optonline.com account. I'm able to receive mail perfectly, but for some strange reason, when I attempt to send mail from the iPhone using EDGE, it complains that it can't connect to the mail.optonline.net outgoing server.

When I get home and use my wi-fi, it works perfectly. All the unsent mail that has built up while trying to be sent via EDGE immediately sends. What could possibly be wrong?

Thanks so much!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey all

I currently have 2 mail account set up on my iPhone.

My Yahoo account works perfectly - Im able to send/receive mail and when I get incoming mail it's pushed to my iPhone. Perfect.

I also have another account, for my home Optonline.com account. I'm able to receive mail perfectly, but for some strange reason, when I attempt to send mail from the iPhone using EDGE, it complains that it can't connect to the mail.optonline.net outgoing server.

When I get home and use my wi-fi, it works perfectly. All the unsent mail that has built up while trying to be sent via EDGE immediately sends. What could possibly be wrong?
This is perfectly normal.

You can't use your ISP's SMTP email server while on EDGE. This could be true if your ISP doesn't allows access to SMTP outside their network (very likely!).

One solution is to use AT&T's SMTP server, cwmx.com. But then you won't be able to send mail when you aren't on EDGE.

My solution was to use a Gmail account for all my iPhone email accounts.

--
Mike