Having some 4s problems

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Ltzguy, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Well I returned my 16gb 4s and they didn't have any replacement 16gb, so I paid extra for a 32gb. The original phone I was having problems with. I thought the update might fix it. Nope. I restored it 3 times. No fix. The problems I was having are as follows:
    - 1 in about 8 calls would connect but not allow either party to hear each other......unless I cut the speaker phone on then off.
    - would not receive a majority of my calls
    -safari would force close as I was typing in a forum
    - sometimes I'd look at the phone and it would say no service....in a good know service area. Other phones would have service....sometimes it would just come back on its own? Sometimes I'd reboot
    -dropped calls excessively

Now I have the new (not replacement phone...brand new) 32gb phone, this one seems worse. It also has an added problem or two:
    -sometimes when talking to someone it will go silent after about 5 minutes. I can hear them but they can't hear me. I turn speaker phone on and it resumes like normal. Mute is not on either.
    -also the screen does not cut off when I put it to my face....with my life proof case on. Weird, it worked correctly with my other 4s. Yes taking it out the case it works fine....so I know it's the case...I wonder if the sensor is different in the 16gb and the 32gb.
    Should I bring this one back too?

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Stupid question, when you got the new phone did you restore as "new" or from a backup? The reason I ask is a corrupt backup can do some weird things. And you have some weird things going on 2 different phones. Does not make sense. Try restoring as "new". Try the phone before you put any apps and stuff back on.

3. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I set the phone up as new. Did not restore anything except my contacts. Also got a new sim card too.

4. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I think you're one of the go to guys here for hardware/software issues.

It's really starting to seem given the frequency of multiple bugged units to a customer and the variety of disconnected issues, that the production run of the 4S is significantly short of Apple's historic QC standard.

Take your 32GB back in to roll the die on another replacement?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

5. santos

santos New Member

Friends i am having a really weird issue. When i try to update/change info on my phone through iTunes ,these randon Apple IDs pop up on my windo,asking me to put password. The problem is ,its like 7 different Ids non of which are mine.this never happened on my 3gs and just started few days ago. :-!

6. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Like I said in another thread, this is one buggy iPhone/iOS.

7. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I know. I even repair these dang things. I've done all I can think of. If I could write another os, I would lol. I hate standing in line at Apple. I'm not sure this is a hardware or software issue. A buddy of mine had to bring his back three times until he got one that worked correctly. I'm getting disappointed in this thing. I was just typing a fairly long post in another forum and it force closed on me. I threw it across the room. Lol. I was pretty ticked. Luckily I have a lifeproof case on it.

8. Dj101

Dj101 Member
    Bronze

my only complaint is the whole,cant here people I call sometimes,until i mute and unmute the phone.
    of course i thought it was my lifeproof case doing the deed,so i ran just a regular cover for two days with the same frequency of the incedent.about once or twice a day.

side note....i can not go another day....not a single one, without my lifeproof case...
    i don't not feel safe AT ALL!

9. Appleboy

Appleboy Member
    Bronze

This guy is going through new iPhones 4s like crazy.. End the end he only paying $300 for 3 replacements

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Everyone acts like the same thing wouldn't be happening with any other brand of smart phone. It is hit or miss. A mere 5% are going to get " bad phones". Deal with it. Many are really over picky. expect to much.

11. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I don't think I'm being picky myself. It quite annoying when I call someone and the say hello and I start talking and then I get another hello...so I have to press speakerphone on/off real quick before they hang up. Also when I'm in the middle of a conversation the phone goes quiet. So I'm talking and they can't hear me anymore. So once again I have to hit speaker phone on/off and if I don't do it quickly enough....it disconnects and says "call failed". So....wanting a properly working phone in my book really isn't being picky. Just my opinion tho. How would you feel if you typed a paragraph on a forum, replying to a post, and then safari force closed on you. Pretty much everytime? And you had to type it all over? It gets pretty annoying. So I have to constantly do a "copy" and when it does that force close crap, I just paste it back. Fun huh?

12. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

one more thing. Do you have a 4s that's working properly? If you do, I'll make you a deal. Let's swap for a couple weeks. I'd like to see how you just "deal with it". You'll miss calls. Drop calls. Type for nothing only to have to retype it. Get your texts a few hours after the sender sent them. So pm me And we will work this swap out. I'm anxious to see how you would feel when you actually experience this nonsense. I'm being serious too. I'm not trying to be an ass by any means either.

13. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Best advice is - make a genius appointment and show up 5 minutes late. Show/tell them the issues - explain the repeated issue and not only will they definitely replace it, they will most likely throw something in for your troubles. I wouldn't ask for the extra though. Think of it this way - the more replacements you get, the lower the percentage of getting a lemon becomes. Sounds like really bad luck. My fiance, brother, 4 friends, sister, mom, and dad all got 4S and they are all fine.

14. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I know there are a lot of people that are having no issues. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I'm just gonna bring mine back. Again.

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sounds like you are part of the 5%. You and illusionenity.

16. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

last reports shows it's more like 20-30%. i also have a friend who went to the Apple store this past weekend to get his glass replaced. and he said their was a very long line of folks that had issues with their 4s. he didn't even get his glass fixed cause he didn't want to wait in line:(

#16 rom x, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Most of the people in the 4S line were probably OCDers tapping the backs of their iPhones and hearing faint rattles. :)

#17 Napoleon PhoneApart, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Your rattles too? I didn't notice it until someone mentioned it in here. I just try to not tap it in sync with music.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm really not sure if mine rattles or not. I don't walk around tapping the back of my phone all day.

I swear that iPhone owners are some of the most OCD people on earth.

"Ooh! My phone rattles when I tap it."

"My lock screen lags for a split second before it unlocks."

"My home button doesn't feel the same."

"I have a funny feeling in my toe..." (Okay, I borrowed that from Watership Down)

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

It's too yellow. Now it's not yellow enough. I hit the home button and it takes me to the home screen.