Having trouble with sound on iPhone, should I make Genius appointment?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Hannahribbey, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Hannahribbey

Hannahribbey New Member

Okay, I have had my 32GB White iPhone 4 since May. Generally, I am very satisfied with my phone and I'm not willing to give it up for the world.

The thing is.. Since the day I've had it, it's had sone hardware issues. Nothing entirely major, it's just that the external sound doesn't work. It might be the speakers, I'm not entirely sure but I know that I didn't cause the damage because I had the phone for a day when I started realizing it had problems. I bought it new, so it must have been defective but because of my ridiculous decision to just keep my iPhone for a few more days before I sent it in (postpartum) I've done the inevitable and dropped it.. and now there is the SLIGHTEST crack on front right by the camera. My point is this:

I know that if I take my phone in to the Apple store or AT&T I'll probably have to pay for repairs or an entirely new phone, because they'll see the crack and assume that I'm lying about the defective phone and claim that I caused the damage. So, what should I do? I'm thinking one of these:

1. Buy an unlocked iPhone 4 off of craiglist from someone who is stupid enough to sell it under for $400
    2. Go to AT&T and pay the damages/buy a new phone (this may seem like the obvious choice, but I'm hesitant to do so because I have had so many issues with my phones in the past and I feel like they'll pull something to squeeze every dollar out of me that they possibly can)
    3. Take it/ship it to an iPhone repair shop. (hesitant because I would have to part with my phone and I'm not quite sure how trustworthy those can be).

... Or anything else. I'm torn. Any suggestions?

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

This is my advice. Make an appointment with Apple (not att) and take it in to a genius. I had a crack on mine and took it in and they replaced it no charge no questions. The speaker not working also will help the situation even more. Even if for some reason they don't, you didn't lose anything for trying. I would be surprised if they didn't replace it.

3. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Rugaby is spot on. Apple is the way to go here.

I had my MacBook for two weeks before my son placed a foreign object on the keyboard and closed it, shattering the screen.

They gave me a brand new one, no questions asked. Didn't even have to use my AppleCare.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple usually replaces the screen/backplate on the iPhone 4 for free (first occurrence only). The speaker is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Make an appointment at an Apple Store if you have one nearby. You can ship it to Apple if you don't have an Apple Store close to you. The turnaround time is very fast.

They will probably just give you a replacement iPhone 4 at the Apple Store that day since you also (might) have hardware problems. Be sure to restore to factory settings before taking it in. Sometimes restoring will fix problems like you are experiencing so it's a good a idea to do that before you make an appointment.

Why do you want an unlocked phone if you're with AT&T?

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Apple has probably got has the best customer service around. I've had just under ten phones replaced by them over the years and never had any problems whilst getting them replaced.

6. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

If you can reproduce the external volume problem that might supersede the screen crack, at least at an Apple Store. They are excellent about customer service. My guess is they will simply replace your iPhone with a new one for free.