HD on iPhone 3G

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
Hey guys I downloaded my first HD tv show on iTunes and was super exited about the quality...It looked great so I decided to put the tv show on my iPhone... After every time I sync it says the show cannot b syncd... Is it because its HD?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
What format is it in? Most likely, it's in .AVI format, which won't play on iPhones/iPods. You have to use an app that will export it to .m4v (mpeg 4) format. Quicktime Pro does that on my Mac.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Oops, I didn't see you said it was from iTunes:oops:. Let me experiment!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I guess it's because it's HD. I have 2 versions of several TV episodes of Battlestar Galactica, HD and not HD, both .m4v format, downloaded from iTunes (yes, I pay for my stuff, sometimes). The HD version will not sync :-(.

HD movies are in 1280X720 dimensions. Maximum iPhone supported size is 640X480, according to Apple.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
i cant believe this has never been talked about before... im pretty disappointed i was exited to get some HD stuff on my phone.
When you purchase the HD TV Shows in iTunes (2.99), you get two downloads, the HD and and iPhone version. The HD version is for Apple TV and or playing on your PC and will not sync to the iPhone due to the resolution size.

~S

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This happened with me with various TV series and it is a bit annoying. However, I find that the SD still looks good on the iPhone screen. Maybe we will an HD iPhone in the future.