HDTV Issue?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
So I am looking to get a new HDTV. I am getting something in the 50"-52" range and would like your thoughts on the LCD vs Plasma issue. I am leaning toward the plasm, but would love some input from anyone that has one or the other or has owned both at some point.
Thanks for the advice.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think a lot of the decision (of course) depends on the price range you're thinking about. I have a plasma that I absolutely love. It's going to be 3 years old in August so it's still relatively new. I noticed a SLIGHT burn in when I first got it from the ESPN logo but it disappeared shortly after I noticed it.

I have friends that have smaller LCDs (27 inches or so) and while the picture looks decent I don't think it looks as good as an HD plasma picture. The colors don't seem to be as vibrant and the picture suffers. This is just my opinion of course.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think a lot of the decision (of course) depends on the price range you're thinking about. I have a plasma that I absolutely love. It's going to be 3 years old in August so it's still relatively new. I noticed a SLIGHT burn in when I first got it from the ESPN logo but it disappeared shortly after I noticed it.

I have friends that have smaller LCDs (27 inches or so) and while the picture looks decent I don't think it looks as good as an HD plasma picture. The colors don't seem to be as vibrant and the picture suffers. This is just my opinion of course.
I picked the 50"-52" because I think it is the best price point for me. Above 52" and the prices really go up. I have a 55"(not HD) right now and wouldn't mind going bigger, but don't see that much return for the big jump in price.
As far as the burning, from what I have read on the net this has become a lesser issue with plasmas in the last 5 years or so. As you said, it tends to go away with no lasting effect. Looks as though the plasmas give truer blacks as well as better colors.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
We have a 52" LCD TV that we got a couple of years ago. We purchased the LCD over the plasma mainly because of the price, but now of course plasmas are coming down.

We haven't had any problems w/ours & in HD the pic is very crisp. I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend & what your preference is.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
LCD beats Plasma any day of the week. Plasma sets are more forgiving, but a good LCD set will produce the brightest, sharpest picture (IMHO). On some inexpensive LCD's, you will see macroblocking and that's why I say plasmas are more forgiving.

I've purchased and returned both Samsung and Sharp. The Sony Bravia XBR is by far the best. I'd even recommend going smaller and grabbing the XBR. I think it was Amazon that had a good deal on the XBR + BluRay player.

I'd suggest you visit AVSForums. If you're like me and like to research big ticket items, you'll love this site. Real big time audio/visual nuts.

Finally, take a trip to Best Buy and compare sets. It's tough, because you cannot trust the signal. However, you should be able to see the difference between sets.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
LCD beats Plasma any day of the week. Plasma sets are more forgiving, but a good LCD set will produce the brightest, sharpest picture (IMHO). On some inexpensive LCD's, you will see macroblocking and that's why I say plasmas are more forgiving.

I've purchased and returned both Samsung and Sharp. The Sony Bravia XBR is by far the best. I'd even recommend going smaller and grabbing the XBR. I think it was Amazon that had a good deal on the XBR + BluRay player.

I'd suggest you visit AVSForums. If you're like me and like to research big ticket items, you'll love this site. Real big time audio/visual nuts.

Finally, take a trip to Best Buy and compare sets. It's tough, because you cannot trust the signal. However, you should be able to see the difference between sets.

Good luck with your purchase.
Chris pretty much summed up what I was thinking. If you are a Costco member, check out the KDL-52S4100 It's a Sony 52" that's selling to $1249.

I currently own a Samsung and love it. The only feature that I want to upgrade for is the 120Hz technology and a better contrast ratio. My set is 2.5 years old and the ratio is 6000:1. It still looks great, but not mind blowing like some of the newer sets.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris pretty much summed up what I was thinking. If you are a Costco member, check out the KDL-52S4100 It's a Sony 52" that's selling to $1249.

I currently own a Samsung and love it. The only feature that I want to upgrade for is the 120Hz technology and a better contrast ratio. My set is 2.5 years old and the ratio is 6000:1. It still looks great, but not mind blowing like some of the newer sets.
I'm not sure the 120Mhz thing is all it's cracked up to be. It makes things look 3D. The Sony has similar feature setting, but we turn it off.

Costco is a good place for tubes. Great return policy. Not as great as it once was, but still more than fair.

BTW, you might want to wait a week or so. I'm guessing there will be all kids of Super Bowl deals.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Chris is flat wrong on his LCD stance.

But that is just MHO. ;)

You also pay more for the Sony name. Samsung has been great to me for years.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Fry's(if there's one close to you) is another great place to compare & shop for TVs

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Chris is flat wrong on his LCD stance.

But that is just MHO. ;)

You also pay more for the Sony name. Samsung has been great to me for years.
I agree with you here. I like plasma much, much more than LCD but it is of course personal preference. Like I mentioned earlier, I've had a Pioneer for going on three years now and it's still awesome.

My parent's have a Samsung in their room and it looks great as well.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Here's a helpful guide: LCD vs Plasma. It's not biased either way.
Thanks. I will bookmark this for reference. Use to be buying a TV wasn't much of a big deal, but when going HD you really have to know what you are looking for. If not, you could be in for a big disappointment when you get the set home. I will take my time and probably do as you suggested and wait for SB week to see if any good deals pop up. This will give me time to research more.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
When you buy your cables, be sure to get them from monoprice.com. Do not spend big $$ for monster cables. You can get high quality HDMI cables for $5-$8 each.

-Chris

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I took me 6 weeks t decide on my 50" Plasma. I went to 4 stores, and did countless comparisons. Then, I was lucky enough to find one on sale the day I bought it....got it over $1000 off, due to inventory clearance for a new model (only change was aesthetic).

Either way, you don't really go wrong. Seriously. I just prefer the clarity and picture of a plasma. ALl the side by sides I did, the difference was pretty significant in my decision making process.

Good luck, and enjoy your TV when you make the decision!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
When you buy your cables, be sure to get them from monoprice.com. Do not spend big $$ for monster cables. You can get high quality HDMI cables for $5-$8 each.

-Chris
Yeah, I learned that from CNET.com. I was telling JJ that in another thread. I also told how I was in BB the other night and they were selling HDMI cables for $100. Unbelievable how people fall for the sales pitch and don't do their homework.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Monster is a rip off. They threw in a "deal" with mine when I bought my HDTV but I still feel I overpaid. I'll admit, the power supply was my own dumb decision, but it was on sale for $60 less than list price....still overpaid, though. The sale on the TV made it more palatable.