HDTV's Questions.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I know some of you probably own HDTV's and I'd like to know all that I need to set one up.

Can you suggest a model tv?

I'm looking to spend around $800 probably and would like a 42' if possible.

Thanks. I know absolutely nothing about these tv's that's why I'm asking.:laugh2:

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Are you looking for a flat-panel, projection, or tube TV?

If you're looking at a flat-panel TV, like most people these day, the first decision is whether an LCD or plasma unit best fits your needs. I recommend Googling "LCD VS. Plasma" and do some reading. There are significant differences between these two types.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Are you looking for a flat-panel, projection, or tube TV?

If you're looking at a flat-panel TV, like most people these day, the first decision is whether an LCD or plasma unit best fits your needs. I recommend Googling "LCD VS. Plasma" and do some reading. There are significant differences between these two types.
Thinking of going the plasma route but not 100% sure yet.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I would go with a Samsung 42 inch lcd flat screen I bought mine last year for $1200 I also have an hd cable box provided by my cable service.. If you do go out and buy one make sure you get the HDMI cables so you get that great picture.. I suggest buying the cables at walmart cost me $24.99 compared to $50 plus at best buy or other places...

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I went with an LCD too, but the plasma/LCD debate depends a lot on your living situation, viewing habits, room/natural lighting, etc. If you're a big gamer, that will make a difference as well.

I have a 47" LCD and my brother has a 50" plasma. I love my TV and he loves his TV....but both for very different reasons. Read as much as you can on this subject. Otherwise, you're likely to end up with a very expensive TV that you're not happy with.

And, considering your budget and size request, don't be afraid of the not-so-off brands like LG, Vizio, Maxent, etc. All the actual panels are pretty much manufactured by the "big" name-brand manufacturers anyway.

Here's a GREAT site if you haven't found it yet... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I know some of you probably own HDTV's and I'd like to know all that I need to set one up.

Can you suggest a model tv?

I'm looking to spend around $800 probably and would like a 42' if possible.

Thanks. I know absolutely nothing about these tv's that's why I'm asking.:laugh2:

If you are near a costco you can get 1 42" Vizio for $900 and they are awesome, I just bought one last weekend. Going to buy a 20" vizio hdtv for my 9 yr old for his desk, got tired of his complaing for the week.

Also costco will be selling the toshiba DVD upconverter with hdmi cable for $49 on march 3rd, I'll buy 2 of them.