Headache! At&t Misunderstood *read* Need Advice!

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Before I upgraded to a two year commitment with the iPhone, I called AT&T to make sure i still have my national $20.00 discount. They said i would have it because its AT&T giving the discount and APPLE has nothing to do it with.

TODAY:
My online billing statement was already to viewed, and AT&T has taken the discount away because the primary line is an iPhone (I am the primary number). With Apple's strict policy, they don't want anyone to have a discount except their employee's. I did not receive my $20 on my newest billing statement!

I don't understand because the national discount was given by AT&T!

They clarified that my national discount is gone. To get it back i would have to return the iPhone and activate/upgrade onto an existing family line that way the primary line has a discount, again. I don't want to change number with my Father or Mother and tell everyone i know that i have a new phone number..

Spokesperson wrote a report onto my account, so if i want to return the iPhone i can possibly waive the 10% re-stocking fee due to the misunderstanding.

Do you think I can still return the iPhone to Apple past 14 days?
help.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Discounts are not allowed

Because ATT has to pay Apple a bounty per month for each account ... somewhere from $3 to $9 per account per month. If they give Apple 9 and you 20 they will have nothing left to call profit. Good luck with this issue. Let us know what transpires...

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
I also have a national discount with AT&T. When you activated your phone a pop-up came up and told you that the iPhone is not eligible for any national discounts. It's in the activation program on AT&T's side so I'm sure you got it. When you cleared this message and then continued, you agreed to give up your discount. If you return you iPhone within 14 days you can get out of your AT&T contract.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I also have a national discount with AT&T. When you activated your phone a pop-up came up and told you that the iPhone is not eligible for any national discounts. It's in the activation program on AT&T's side so I'm sure you got it. When you cleared this message and then continued, you agreed to give up your discount. If you return you iPhone within 14 days you can get out of your AT&T contract.
If you are currently on a Family Plan, just make sure your iPhone is not the primary line. I originally had this setup and my discount (FAN Foundation Account Number) did not appear.

When I called the AT&T rep, she happily put my wifes number as the primary line on the Family Plan and reinstated my FAN discount.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
i had a 20% discount on my cingular account from corporate but once i actived 3 iPhones, poof! no more discount....

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
No Discount

i had a 20% discount on my cingular account from corporate but once i actived 3 iPhones, poof! no more discount....
It's not like At&t or Apple scammed you. It was very well documented on both of their sites. NO DISCOUNT, if you had one you would lose it. If you didn't have one, you wouldn't be getting one..M

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Anyone i can my number out of a Primary line?
AT&T said no. This is correct, right?

If i were to return the iPhone, and then cancel the Primary line.. One of the family numbers become a primary line, corret?

Then i should just activate a new number..

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Anyone i can my number out of a Primary line?
AT&T said no. This is correct, right?

If i were to return the iPhone, and then cancel the Primary line.. One of the family numbers become a primary line, corret?

Then i should just activate a new number..
You should not have to cancel your number or line. The AT&T rep should be able to switch a family number to the primary line, and then leave yours as a secondary line on your Family Plan.

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You should not have to cancel your number or line. The AT&T rep should be able to switch a family number to the primary line, and then leave yours as a secondary line on your Family Plan.
I assume this is not possible.. can someone confirm this?

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
It is possible. There is another thread going on where several folks have done this. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I will call tonight or tomorrow to ask

what exactly do i ask for?

"Can i change my primary line to an added family line, and switch one of the existing numbers to be primary?"

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It was very easy to change the primary line!

should i start seeing the national discount next month? Since the primary line is not an iPhone holder?

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
It was very easy to change the primary line!

should i start seeing the national discount next month? Since the primary line is not an iPhone holder?
----------------------------------------

Just wondering if this worked to get your discount back.

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
----------------------------------------

Just wondering if this worked to get your discount back.
I just recently did it. I will not get my next statement till next month, but i spoke to 2-3 different representatives, and they clarified i will get it back since the primary number isn't an iPhone.

But they can be assuming like what happen from the beginning of the thread.

Tomorrow is my last day i can return my iPhone and cancel my 2 year commitment.. i will call them tomorrow to get another confirmation.

better to be safe, than sorry..

$20 off a month adds up if it isn't given. (5 months = $100!)

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I just recently did it. I will not get my next statement till next month, but i spoke to 2-3 different representatives, and they clarified i will get it back since the primary number isn't an iPhone.

But they can be assuming like what happen from the beginning of the thread.

Tomorrow is my last day i can return my iPhone and cancel my 2 year commitment.. i will call them tomorrow to get another confirmation.

better to be safe, than sorry..

$20 off a month adds up if it isn't given. (5 months = $100!)

I would definitely check. I have spoken with 7 ATT customer service agents who said pretty much what we have assumed that the discount would applied to the primary line not the iPhone line. (I have been transferred quite a bit just trying to add another phone line and have asked each agent.)

The last lady that I was transferred to give my FAN from my company just threw a wrench in the works. She said in no uncertain terms that the discount would NOT apply if an iPhone was on any line on the account, primary or secondary. I asked to speak with the manager who confirmed and also said he would be happy to cancel my service if this was not acceptable to me. How's that for trying to retain new customers!

There may be some unhappy customers when they see their bills. Has anyone actually seen a bill that retains the discount?

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

I would definitely check. I have spoken with 7 ATT customer service agents who said pretty much what we have assumed that the discount would applied to the primary line not the iPhone line. (I have been transferred quite a bit just trying to add another phone line and have asked each agent.)

The last lady that I was transferred to give my FAN from my company just threw a wrench in the works. She said in no uncertain terms that the discount would NOT apply if an iPhone was on any line on the account, primary or secondary. I asked to speak with the manager who confirmed and also said he would be happy to cancel my service if this was not acceptable to me. How's that for trying to retain new customers!

There may be some unhappy customers when they see their bills. Has anyone actually seen a bill that retains the discount?
Wow I just spoke with ATT and a supervisor looked through my account from the past customer service calls ive made. He had confirmed once the iPhone is on an account the Corp discount is void! No matter if it was the primary!

What to do now..

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Wow I just spoke with ATT and a supervisor looked through my account from the past customer service calls ive made. He had confirmed once the iPhone is on an account the Corp discount is void! No matter if it was the primary!

What to do now..

I just called again and spoke with two different customer service agents who said that the discount on the primary line would be maintained, not the iPhone line. I had them write it in my file if that means anything. They said if there is ever a problem, ATT would have to honor it because it was documented. (I called the second time to make sure the first guy did put it in my chart.) I'm not sure if I should call a third time to make sure the second person also put it in my chart! This is getting a little ridiculous.

My wife is on my case that this thing (her term for the iPhone) has already cost us $1000 bucks if you add cancellation fees and over $1400 if they in fact do take away the discount. I'm a little nervous...

Anyone 'spend' more for their iPhone?

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

I just called again and spoke with two different customer service agents who said that the discount on the primary line would be maintained, not the iPhone line. I had them write it in my file if that means anything. They said if there is ever a problem, ATT would have to honor it because it was documented. (I called the second time to make sure the first guy did put it in my chart.) I'm not sure if I should call a third time to make sure the second person also put it in my chart! This is getting a little ridiculous.

My wife is on my case that this thing (her term for the iPhone) has already cost us $1000 bucks if you add cancellation fees and over $1400 if they in fact do take away the discount. I'm a little nervous...

Anyone 'spend' more for their iPhone?
Damn. So i guess you and i have the same problem going on, but i don't have a monthly statement more than $150 LOL

I really would love to keep the CORP FAN discount maintained and not void. My 30th day for the commitment is tomorrow so i will call back and find out again..

If i don't get the discount i'm thinking of returning the iPhone. The manager at the Apple store honored my problem and would refund me in full amount.

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Speaking with customer care, again. Spokes person says that i will receive the discount because it is showing ACTIVE on the account because the primary number is now another wireless device other than an iPhone. I told the person to double check with someone, and spoke to the person in her area saying it was true. I again asked her to speak to a supervisor and says as long as the iPhone is on the account; DISCOUNT IS VOID on the entire account :(

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Speaking with customer care, again. Spokes person says that i will receive the discount because it is showing ACTIVE on the account because the primary number is now another wireless device other than an iPhone. I told the person to double check with someone, and spoke to the person in her area saying it was true. I again asked her to speak to a supervisor and says as long as the iPhone is on the account; DISCOUNT IS VOID on the entire account :(
I guess we aren't going to know for sure until the bill comes out. I wish ATT could just get it together. What are you planning on doing? As you mentioned the discount adds up, but is it a dealbreaker? If ATT would have been more consistent with their responses, it would be easier to accept.

Do you think their documentation in the chart means anything? The last two agents I talked with said if they were wrong for some reason ATT would still have to honor it because it was their error. I'm assuming though they will try to squeak out of it somehow.