Heading to Italy in July

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Have 3 phones on an ATT family plan - what to do? Trying to not break the bank over a phone - but momma is a worrywart.

Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Buy eBay IMEI unlocks (they cost about $5 each) and get prepaid SIMs when you get to Italy. This will save you quite a bit of money. The unlocks are only legal if the phones were purchased prior to January 26th 2013. I went through Unlock_Fusion.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Thanks will give that a very strong look. This will allow them to function only locally - in country so to speak? Or would people from the US be able to call/text whatever - and the cost won't give the wallet a blowout?

What do you think about turning on an international accout via ATT, and turning it off as soon as we land back in the states? - in other words only on for 10 days or 11?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's equivalent to a permanent factory unlock. It will work on any worldwide GSM network.

You'll get a temporary number. It will be long distance for people to call from the U.S.

This will be cheaper than roaming on an Italian network through AT&T.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
There are also pre-paid phones available in international airports so when you get to Italy you could pick up a couple as you get off the plane. You can't swing a dead cat around most airports without hitting a kiosk that sells 'em.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Thanks - another great idea - and like the CSI shows disposable - it's funny, disposable phones a huge industry!

If we go this route, could still do WIFI in country with the ATT iPhones yes?

alicepattinson

Bronze
Feb 3, 2013
Unlocking your phone is expensive right? But yeah that's really a gooooood idea :) I think there are also some forums that will teach you how to unlock it.

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
I am in the same boat.. sort of. My 4S is unlocked... accident care of AT&T :). Last October I went to the UK and bought a local Sim card. It was fine for what I wanted it for but it is a pain in the butt because you have to tell everyone your new number. They also gave me a temporary US number to use. Fast forward.... I am going to Italy for 2 weeks with hubby... he works, I get to play. Now I am in a quandary because I really only want a phone to connect up with him and he has a US phone number. Getting a local Sim and calling a US number may not be worth the effort and it may turn out to be more costly. I have seriously been considering just getting an International Plan from AT&T to use for the once a day calls or text messages. Unless it is an emergency, no one else is going to call me and I can use Skype to contact them when wifi is available.
Any thoughts?

M

mifzal

I am in the same boat.. sort of. My 4S is unlocked... accident care of AT&T :). Last October I went to the UK and bought a local Sim card. It was fine for what I wanted it for but it is a pain in the butt because you have to tell everyone your new number. They also gave me a temporary US number to use. Fast forward.... I am going to Italy for 2 weeks with hubby... he works, I get to play. Now I am in a quandary because I really only want a phone to connect up with him and he has a US phone number. Getting a local Sim and calling a US number may not be worth the effort and it may turn out to be more costly. I have seriously been considering just getting an International Plan from AT&T to use for the once a day calls or text messages. Unless it is an emergency, no one else is going to call me and I can use Skype to contact them when wifi is available.
Any thoughts?
We can unlock your phone