Heading to Italy in July

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaw2k9, Apr 11, 2013.

1. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Have 3 phones on an ATT family plan - what to do? Trying to not break the bank over a phone - but momma is a worrywart.

Thanks!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Buy eBay IMEI unlocks (they cost about $5 each) and get prepaid SIMs when you get to Italy. This will save you quite a bit of money. The unlocks are only legal if the phones were purchased prior to January 26th 2013. I went through Unlock_Fusion.

3. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Thanks will give that a very strong look. This will allow them to function only locally - in country so to speak? Or would people from the US be able to call/text whatever - and the cost won't give the wallet a blowout?

What do you think about turning on an international accout via ATT, and turning it off as soon as we land back in the states? - in other words only on for 10 days or 11?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's equivalent to a permanent factory unlock. It will work on any worldwide GSM network.

You'll get a temporary number. It will be long distance for people to call from the U.S.

This will be cheaper than roaming on an Italian network through AT&T.

5. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Excellent - and any issues with texts - traveling with 2 teen age girls!

6. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

There are also pre-paid phones available in international airports so when you get to Italy you could pick up a couple as you get off the plane. You can't swing a dead cat around most airports without hitting a kiosk that sells 'em.

7. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Thanks - another great idea - and like the CSI shows disposable - it's funny, disposable phones a huge industry!

If we go this route, could still do WIFI in country with the ATT iPhones yes?

8. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

Europa is right, have your phone unlock and it will save you a bit of money.

9. alicepattinson

Bronze

Unlocking your phone is expensive right? But yeah that's really a gooooood idea :) I think there are also some forums that will teach you how to unlock it.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. It costs less than five bucks for a permanent unlock.

11. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I am in the same boat.. sort of. My 4S is unlocked... accident care of AT&T :). Last October I went to the UK and bought a local Sim card. It was fine for what I wanted it for but it is a pain in the butt because you have to tell everyone your new number. They also gave me a temporary US number to use. Fast forward.... I am going to Italy for 2 weeks with hubby... he works, I get to play. Now I am in a quandary because I really only want a phone to connect up with him and he has a US phone number. Getting a local Sim and calling a US number may not be worth the effort and it may turn out to be more costly. I have seriously been considering just getting an International Plan from AT&T to use for the once a day calls or text messages. Unless it is an emergency, no one else is going to call me and I can use Skype to contact them when wifi is available.
    Any thoughts?

12. soum500

soum500 New Member

buy cheapest unlocked phone when you arrive in italy buy a sim for your phone.

13. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

My phone is unlocked... why should I buy another one?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Because one is the lonliest number. :D

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

...there could ever be.

16. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

Oh gee thanks..I almost got that song out of my head before you helped, Naps.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Heheh.

Momma told me not to come...

18. mifzal

mifzal Guest

We can unlock your phone

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Gotta love some of the spam here. :D

20. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I knew either you or Naps would respond.....for those who are curious...I decided to buy an international plan with text messaging. It is working out well.