heading to the Apple store today (genius bar)

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
my phone gets unbelieveably hot, has one pixel that is permantly glowing white, and 3-4 the intermitantly go out as well.

i heard you have to set up an appointment?

what all is invlolved in this genius bar visit?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Go to http://Apple.com/retail/ and search for your store. Under Genius Bar, click "Reserve", and set up the appointment. You have to do this because the Genius Bar is riddled with people coming to fix their Macs, iPods, iPhones, etc...and this is just their way of trying to make sure everybody can get served on time.

If you don't do it before you get there, you just have to do it in the store itself, so you might as well, so you know what time to get there by. (If you're late even by 5 minutes though, you have to set up another appointment...I found that out the hard way on Saturday :( forgot the mall has no available parking spots on Saturdays)

What is likely to happen is they'll take a look at your iPhone, probably run a quick test on it (or if you can get it to them while it's already toasty, right then and there) determine that you need a swap, and they will simply take your SIM card and put it in another (usually new, sometimes refurbed) iPhone, and you simply restore and re-sync.

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
just wanted to update.

i went to the genius bar, they quickly swapped out phones.

but they did say something that surprised me, the phones getting extremely hot is something that us users will have to deal with.

he said to fix the problem, leave my phone turned off in my pocket until i needed to use it!?!?!
kinda defeats the purpose of having a cell phone (so you can be contacted anytime, any where)

but nevertheless they did swap me a new one due to the dead pixel

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I've never had any issues with missing my appointment and them making me get a new one. I was about 10 minutes late the last time I had to take my MBP in and my name was at the top of the list and was the next one called when I got in there. I don't know if it's a store to store thing or not.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have also made a Genius Bar appointment. Online, it did not let me make a Saturday appointment, but I called the store and they hooked me up. My phone has a strange small black mark on it and the right side gets a yellowish streak when it gets hot. I also made a Personal shopping appointment so they can tell me about all the macbooks. I hope to leave the Apple store with a new iPhone and a new laptop on Saturday.:laugh2:

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I've never had any issues with missing my appointment and them making me get a new one. I was about 10 minutes late the last time I had to take my MBP in and my name was at the top of the list and was the next one called when I got in there. I don't know if it's a store to store thing or not.
Sometimes they're late in calling your name. On my second attempt at an appointment that day, the appointment was set for 3:10 but they called it finally at 3:30. The first time, they were right on time, apparently...

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I have also made a Genius Bar appointment. Online, it did not let me make a Saturday appointment, but I called the store and they hooked me up. My phone has a strange small black mark on it and the right side gets a yellowish streak when it gets hot. I also made a Personal shopping appointment so they can tell me about all the macbooks. I hope to leave the Apple store with a new iPhone and a new laptop on Saturday.:laugh2:
Very nice!

We need a jealousy smiley.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
After reading this post yesterday, i was looking at the dead pixel test, just por kicks, and found one dead center on the black screen. And once you see it, you cant unsee it. i was so upset. So i ran over to the Apple store at 8:45 last night, with no pre set appointment and got out with a new replacement phone before the store closed! I was so excited! It was like getting home unboxing my iPhone for the first time all over again! I didn't want to touch it for fear of getting fingerprints all over it. My old one was covered in scratches, and a couple of small dents and this is so cool. I bought an incase slider, black, and an anti-glare screen cover, (my favorite), and don't plan on taking it out for a while. I just want to shout out a big kudos to the Apple store and all of its employees!

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I made an appointment last friday at the Apple store because my mail application wasn't launching and accepted a refurb replacement because I had heard that they were just as good as new. Unfortunately, within a weeks worth of use I have a stuck pixel, frozen internet use, and a loose glass screen. I have set up another appointment this friday were I will demand a brand new replacement. I spent a lot of money and I even trusted Apple to provide an approved refurb, but I was disappointed with the results. I'll let you guys know what happens after Friday.