Headphone Automatic Cord winder

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, so I have been looking for a better "cord management system" than wrapping it up and shoving it in my pocket, only to spend a few minutes untangling it every time I wanted to use it.
I found these :http://www.a-speed.com.cn/yipod.htm Go to the middle of the page.
They are uglier than sin, but exactly what I was looking for. Everything between the plug and the wire split to the earbuds can be wrapped up in the retractable "spinner".
Has anyone seen anything similar, but that look good?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Actually those don't look too terrible, although they could be better. I just wonder how much of the cord they will handle. Will the winding stop when it gets to the splitter, or the mic/clicker, leaving the buds dangling at the end of a foot of cord?

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I may not have a clue what I am talking about, but make sure that 'iPod" earbuds work on the iPhone. The iPhone plug is different because of the speaker function. Three rings on the plug versus two. I know that to use my Bose headset I need to use a Belkin adapter or something similar where I didn't on my iPod. Just a thought, and like I said, I may not have a clue what I am talking about. LOL

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Phil, you misunderstand. It's the cord retractor that I'm talking about. I don't think that it comes with earbuds, only that it was made primarily for them- hence the Apple (not Apple) logo

Dec 16, 2009
Hello,
I am a design student in Toronto and I designed a cord winder to solve exactly your problem, and my problem, because I got tired of spending 5min untangling my cord every morning.
If you are interested in talking about it you can contact me at milicaguberinic@gmail.com
-Milica

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I may not have a clue what I am talking about, but make sure that 'iPod" earbuds work on the iPhone. The iPhone plug is different because of the speaker function. Three rings on the plug versus two. I know that to use my Bose headset I need to use a Belkin adapter or something similar where I didn't on my iPod. Just a thought, and like I said, I may not have a clue what I am talking about. LOL
The third ring is for the microphone. Two ring plugs work but only for listening to music. If a mic is included..hence the 3rd ring.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Seems as if the split ends would still be tangled. I guess it would help a bit. You could probably do better using a small stiff piece of plastic with a notch cut in to catch the wire once wrapped....something you could probably find around the house. I just keep my buds in the case they came with.