Headphone jack on the bottom

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by talon90, Sep 27, 2012.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the move on Apple's part to relocate the headphone jack to the bottom next to the dock connector. I for one am thrilled they finally did this. I use my phone outdoors in all sorts of weather.

Ever since I learned about the moisture sensors, I've been paranoid about a stray rain drop finding its way in to the jack opening. As such, I've been more or less forced in to using a case like an Otterbox or Survivor case that has a port cover for the headphone jack. Sadly, I much prefer the lighterweight / less bulk cases like bumpers or gell type combo silicone and polycarbonate like the Griffin Reveal cases. This will finally give me a chance to use those types of cases without the paranoia.

I was in Best Buy yesterday talking to the associate in the mobile phone department and he was commenting that a lot of customers have been complaining about this move on Apple's part.

What say you?

2. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Doesn't matter to me personally.

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Non issue!

4. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Not an issue. I suppose I like it because now the wires don't have to hang weird in the car when it's in a window mount. Other than that, not a big deal either way.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

HATE IT!
    I already posted a few times about it.
    I use my phone in the jeep and use this
    cassette tape adapter
    I also have a charger plugged in.
    Now the carholder I use has
    some adjustable holder pieces
    having your phone in a slide
    in pocket (purse or jeans etc)
    you have to use it upside down
    In a dock charger you couldn't listen with headphones at the same time.

?wid=185&hei=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I like it. When I'm looking at my iPhone while holding it in my hand listening to music, I usually insert the iPhone top down into my pocket. The headphone port is in a more convenient location at this point. When I reach into my pocket to take my iPhone out, it will be right side up in my hand. If I'm at my desk listening to music through my earpods, I usually lay my iPhone on my desk so I can easily read things on the screen. Having the headphone port on top always caused the cord to be in the way. Moving the headphone port to the bottom keeps the cord out of the way when the phone sits on my desk. I think it's a good move.

7. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

I hardly use it so its no big deal. ;)

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I love the new location.

9. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

I love it, too! I think it is brilliant and MUCH more convenient for the way I use my phone! I LOVE the new phone and get sooooo sick of people picking it apart and complaining. Simple ... if you don't like the phone ... return it or don't buy it. Get something that meets your needs. Problem solved.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I like the way you think, SunnySweet.

11. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I actually prefer it.

12. Muckcityjustin

Gold

was going to say the exact same thing. I really like the change

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I need to get a new car mount with an adjustable end piece. Other than that it's not an issue for me.

14. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I don't mind it at all. I guess the people who bought gadgets that utilize the jack may take some time getting used to it. (Square reader or remote infrared device).

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Works great for me. I put my phone in a shallow pocket bottom side up so I can hear the ringer better. Now if I want to use the headset it is much more convenient.