Headphone jack

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
So, I'm at work where I normally have headphones plugged into my Zune or my computer and listen to music. I finally got around to adding some music to my iPhone to see the iPod behavior, but well, when I plug my headphones into it, I just get some clicking out of the left channel, and the music is played through the iPhone's speaker. Does this headphone jack not support an ordinary 1/8" plug? I hope I don't need to plug in the special earbuds that came with the phone!

Thanks

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
your regular headphones wont work unfortunately..
but go to your local electronics store
[best buy..circuit city..]
and you can get an adapter for your buds and or phones..
only about 10 dollars!

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
As long as I can still run my headphones, I'm alright with needing an adapter, almost, I reckon. Thanks singlefilerock.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
So, I'm at work where I normally have headphones plugged into my Zune or my computer and listen to music. I finally got around to adding some music to my iPhone to see the iPod behavior, but well, when I plug my headphones into it, I just get some clicking out of the left channel, and the music is played through the iPhone's speaker. Does this headphone jack not support an ordinary 1/8" plug? I hope I don't need to plug in the special earbuds that came with the phone!

Thanks
because the headphone jack is recessed you either have to use the earbuds that came with the phone or an adapter which you can buy through Apple. You can shave some of the plastic coating off the male end of the headphones to try to give it some clearance, but I wouldn't recommend this practice.

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
my adaptor is about an inch long
at first it seemed a bit large
but you get used to it really quick

only good thing about those dreaded iPhone buds is the button and mic..
but soon people will be making good quality buds with them.

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
It just sucks that this is just one more thing that I'll either have to carry around or have to get multiple instances of. I listen to my mp3 player at work, in my car, and in my garage. Now I'll have to tote around an adapter so I can plug it in at all three places or have to purchase three adapters. Deviation from standards is another strike against this phone, imo.

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
well all these adapters go onto the headphones itsself..
it snaps onto it pretty well
it take a little elbow grease to get them off..

its really not anymore a hassle

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
well all these adapters go onto the headphones itsself..
it snaps onto it pretty well
it take a little elbow grease to get them off..

its really not anymore a hassle
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not jumping up and down about this or anything. But it was nice to know that I could plug in my mp3 player anywhere I'd go, since everyone has some 1/8" cables around. I know I'll find myself with a few thousand MP3s in one hand and an 1/8" plug in the other that's hooked up to an amp and speakers of some kind, yet not have anyway of connecting the two and will curse Apple for this! :)

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
well the jack itself isn't a different size
its that the iPhones jack is recessed and you need an adapter that will go down there

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
well..
unless you have knife..
and no fear of ruining your plug

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
I'll probably just keep carrying my Zune since it'll plug into anything and has enough storage, since I have to carry a second item now anyway. :) Thanks y'all for the info.

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
haha that thing is ridiculous
mines an inch at the most

i wish i got a flexible one but i just got whatever was available at best buy

also i discovered today my skull candy buds were in the driveway broken
payed 40 dollars for them =\

oh well.. i think i can fix it with some super glue.. the speakers itsself arent harmed

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
i bought it from the Apple store, and i believe it was under $10. i think i chose this over the other one they had because it is flexible.
$10 isn't too bad then. And I didn't realize it's flexible... that's pretty cool. I still would prefer a shorter one that wasn't quite so stiff, but I'm not knocking your purchase.

For what it's worth, I found a generic one on Ebay that's really short and flexible and cost $3.50 shipped.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i got mine from ebay and it has the mic thing so that i can use my skill candies with the adapter and still have a mic... it is really cool and i got it for like 6 bucks shipped i believe