Headphone with mic button for helmet integration

Dec 16, 2008
hi, i hope the title is not too cofusing, but well, the story goes like this.

i am working on the transformation process of a motorcycle. the theme is basicaly following the aesthetics of 1950´s american bombers with pinups and all.

the helmet is a fighter jet helmet replica which i want to mod, integrating connectivity for the iPhone.

my problem is i am not too sure if i can "fabricate" something with a button, a mic and headphones and make it work or is it absolutely necessary that i star with the earphones that come with the iPhone and use its components? or can i use other components (cable, headphone speakers, button, mic) and solder everything together?

does the iPhone earphones´ button have a circuit inside?

it would be great if any of you could give me any info.

thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to give me

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
As a motorcycle rider, I've thought about doing this and here's what I am going to try. Shure makes an adapter that you can plug any headphones into and it gives you a mic with a button. It's the Shure MPA-3C Music Phone Adapter for iPhone and can be had on Amazon for $40 or so. Figure out what headphones you want (or helmet speakers and plug them into the adapter. I use the Etymotic ER6i Isolator earbuds that do a great job of keeping the wind and exhaust noise to a minimum and give great quality audio from the iPod/iPhone. You might even try mounting some helmet speakers but I haven't found any that offer good quality sound while riding.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I'm guessing this will be an openface helmet?

The mic will be the key to success.

If I was doing this I would look for a used helmet (I'd never by used for normal purposes) that has the BT integration, and cannibalise it.