Headphones for iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Are there any over the head headphones out for the iPhone.

I go to the gym and these earbuds are horrible. I cant run on the treadmill without them constantly falling out.

I need some good over the head phones.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com

I go to the gym and these earbuds are horrible. I cant run on the treadmill without them constantly falling out.

There is an adapter you can buy for $10 or you can do what I did... break out your dremel moto tool and sand away the excess plastic around the base of the jack that prevents standard headphones from being inserted into the iPhone jack. So I saved $10 and it looks kinda neat if you do a clean sanding job then use a the wire brush to clean it up. :)

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
There is an adapter you can buy for $10 or you can do what I did... break out your dremel moto tool and sand away the excess plastic around the base of the jack that prevents standard headphones from being inserted into the iPhone jack. So I saved $10 and it looks kinda neat if you do a clean sanding job then use a the wire brush to clean it up. :)

can you link me to this adapter.

Thanks

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
I'm willing to get the adapter but I do wonder if there might be a bluetooth headphone much like the OP describes so I could talk hands-free? Something that's also hearing aid compatible as well (allows the use of the telephone switch on the aid). I realize that this is a long order to fulfill but at least it's worth asking about just in case, right? ;) Thanks for any help on this!

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007

I use these nike headphones at the gym....they are great....they are sweat-resistant and work pretty well. You can use them without any adapter and they are relatively cheap and comfortable.

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore,pdp,_pdp,cid-1/gid-144352/pid-144352&re=US&co=US&la=EN

climr

Jul 31, 2007
Don't overlook in-ear headphones for gym use too. If you find some that fit, then they are VERY secure and will not fall out when running. The downside is that you can hear yourself breathing (like having ear plugs in) and that takes some getting used to. On the plus side - they isolate you from that terrible music played in most gyms!

Brad
ultimatebuds.com

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007

One of the cool things about the Apple phones is that you can use the little clicker attached to the right phone (the mic) to pause/play what you are listening to. Are there any after market head phones that have this mic/pause/play thingamabob included?

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
One of the cool things about the Apple phones is that you can use the little clicker attached to the right phone (the mic) to pause/play what you are listening to. Are there any after market head phones that have this mic/pause/play thingamabob included?
Yep, for $30, you can get these Rivet Earbuds! The earpieces are better fitting. But, the best part is they're black and not the "look at me! I'm all white which means I have a very expensive portable electronic device on my person!" color! LOL!

climr

Jul 31, 2007
Excuse the shameless plug, but our current product actually uses the OEM Apple cord, so the mic/pause/play still works great.

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/etymotic.php

Brad

Aug 9, 2007
Picked up the Rivet earphones.

My Apple earphones died on me. (The clicker stopped responding, I think due to sweat). The Apple store gave me a new set, but I also ordered a pair of the Rivet iPhone earphones as well. (I have small ears, and the Apple buds are hard for me to keep in place while running). I got the rivets on Friday, and so far, i'm pretty pleased. If worn correctly, they are very secure, and the mic is the perfect distance from your mouth. The clicker is also very easy to use while running, and they feel like they will be more sweat resistant than the stock earphones. i'm trying them out at the gym in a few minutes.:cool:

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I'm very close to buying the Rivet headphones, but I'm wondering how good the mic does for noise resistance. The ones that come with iPhone are impossible to use while bicycling or even standing in the wind. Anyone who bought these have any experience using on a bike or in wind?

Oh, and also does the lanyard work well?

theHAGGIS

Sep 10, 2007
I bought the Rivets (without the lanyard - was worried about it being yanked out of my pocket)....great design and idea, but quite sub-standard sound. Good enough for yard work, working out or talking, but not good for enjoying music. A real shame.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I bought the Rivets (without the lanyard - was worried about it being yanked out of my pocket)....great design and idea, but quite sub-standard sound. Good enough for yard work, working out or talking, but not good for enjoying music. A real shame.
It is sooooo difficult to describe sound quality because it's relative. Is there anyway you can compare it to the Apple in-ear headphones, because I actually own a pair of those.

I had shure ec3 headphones and they did not sound much better than the Apple in-ear ones, so maybe I'm just very bad at telling the difference in sound quality.

theHAGGIS

Sep 10, 2007
The Rivets are missing a fullness that good headphones have. The also have "no" bass and I listen to a lot of dance/techno. The iPhone's headphones sound better than the Rivets, which is kinda sad since the Rivets are ear-canal headphones. I have a set of Sony ex55's ($39) which are a similar design to the Rivets, but the ex55s blow them away sound wise. It really is a shame, if the rivets had spent a little more on quality of the drivers for their headphones, they would be selling like..well..iPhones :)

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
hey another plug here for brads ultimate buds. I'm rocking my new set right now and am ecstatic about the sound quality. Properly inserted they have more than enough bass - I have settled on the 'flat' frequency response curve as the ones with enhanced bass are just too much! I listen to dance/house/trance/techno exclusively. Overall very clean sound with flat response.

Expensive - kinda. But u get what u pay for with earphones, up to a point at least.

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I'm using Logitech Bluetooth Wireless headphones (with a Belkin adapter) that I bought from BigDaddy Surplus on ebay for $20 plus $10 shipping. Works like a charm. (If you do buy them, forget the adapter that BigDaddy sends with the headphones.)