Headphones Help

the imp

Dec 3, 2008
My 3G iPhone will not play through the headphones (the one that were supplied with the iPhone). It still plays through the iPhones speakers but nothing happens when I insert the headphone jack.
I have tired putting the jack in and out but with no results.. anyone have any other fixes?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It could be that your headphones are busted. Have you tried using another pair? If they are in fact busted you should be able to get a replacement from Apple for no charge.

As for a possible fix, it appears as if you have tried the right thing. You might want to try a soft reset of the phone as well, just in case.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Are you pushing the headphone jack in all the way? May seem like a stupid question- but it's a different jack from version one and you have to make sure they are all the way in

the imp

Dec 3, 2008
The headphones seem to play ok when I put them into my laptop and they seem to be pushed "home". I will try a soft re-set to see if that makes any difference.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I thought I had a problem till I really pushed the headphones all the way in- just seemed like I shouldn't have to push that hard

miloko

Oct 14, 2008
My 3G iPhone will not play through the headphones (the one that were supplied with the iPhone). It still plays through the iPhones speakers but nothing happens when I insert the headphone jack.
I have tired putting the jack in and out but with no results.. anyone have any other fixes?
I had that problem where I did not push them in far enough

the imp

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for the above guys but no success. Soft reset and nothing and the jack is as far in as it can go. May take it back to the shop at the weekend, unless anyone has any other ideas?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Maybe it's having the reverse form of the error when the iPhone thinks the headphones are plugged in but they really aren't.

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
There was a thread a couple of months ago where a few of us had "lint" from carrying the iPhone in our pockets and some lint got stuck in the headphone jack. The common solution was to use a paperclip to pull the lint out, but obviously you have to be extremely careful doing so.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Maybe the headphones' slot is screwed from inside? Replace the phone >_<. Haha, easiest solution. By the way, have you tried plugging other ear/head-phones in? If they work then it's better to get a headphones replacement.

the imp

Dec 3, 2008
I am going to the place I bought it so they can have a look at it and if they have a spare pair of headphones I will try that, if not hopefully they will replace it!
I will let you all know, ta.