Heads Up iPhone Display For The Car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JiggyMatt

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Ok so I am posting this in a new thread cause my old one is messed up.

Below is the video of "How To" and below that are picture of it in action.

Let me know what you think.

FYI this might not work in all cars due to winshield angles and limited dashboard space. It may also be illegal so check in your area first before driving around town with this thing going! I will not be held liable for any damages you do to yourself or others including but not limited to property damage and bodily harm.

This application is hypothetical and in no way am I endorsing you actually doing this while driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
and I thought my velcro on the steering wheel solution was dangerous :) do like mine better for dialing and texting :cool:

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
work? hehe looks like he lives there :p

Man.. Hope you never get into a accident.. because if that airbag ever goes off... your gonne eat that phone.... Litterally...hehehe

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
:)

figured I'd let ya'll take your shots :) heard em all before

last time I shared that pic, I said yeah if you saw a headline saying man injured by iPhone when airbag deploys -- you'd know who it was :)

and yes I drive a one man 'burban -- the third seat is in pristine never used condition when i trade and the second seats are up maybe twice a year for my turn to drive tailgatiing ...... and I am perfecttly organized -- i keep stuff out where I can see it, that way i know where it is and don't have to go huntin through drawers and boxes looking for it :) -- think that's bad -- u ought to see da back of the truck or the office :) or my mac desktop for that matter :) --- and yes I live and work on the road 25-30% of the time.

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
Hehe, besides the beauty of the iPhone, this almost qualifies for Redneck Steering Wheel Controls. ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Either that or the HUD still sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
:)

figured I'd let ya'll take your shots :) heard em all before
Well as long as your not taking it personal, thanks for today's laugh. :laugh2:

The trash bag hanging off the steering column was a nice touch, but nothing beats the collection of "stuff" on the dash. It's a classic!

On a good note it would appear you need to drive conservativly in order to keep the crap from flying all over the place.

As for the iPhone in an accident, I believe the front of the steering wheel immediately swings to the side during airbag deployment (so you don't get hit with that mass of plastic--think again folks who don't wear seatbelts: you want that flying into your face?). Anyway, I could see the iPhone getting thrown violently against the windows during a crash.

Regarding the OP: OMG I can't believe someone is crazy enough to watch a video, right in their line-of-sight, while driving. Stump stupid if you ask me. And if he gets into an accident and hurts or God forbid kills someone, with this video floating around for the world to see, he is toast.

--
Mike

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
:), nope, quit taking things personal a lonnnnnng time ago

I knew that piece of plastic on the wheel had to go somewhere else first but didn't know how it worked exactly which is why I wasn't too concerned. yeah I am old and conservative and slow -- take my litttle 5 over and go on down the road not worryying about looking over my shoulder constantly for da man. Get there a few minutes later -- whoopdedo. Chill with my XM radio, iPod beach music or oldies end enjoy the ride

But I tell you what folks and I'm sure there are some other honest ones around here also -- this beauty of ours is damn hazardous to your driving health. Even using just the phone functions requires more screen:face time than I am used to and I don't know but the screen gets so mesmerizing that I have had more swerves, jump on the brakes, etc than ever before. Not proud of it and freely admit it. Be careful friends.

The screen is so hypersensitive that its hard to hit the right favorite even. Voice dialing is really needed. Think about it. First you've got to look down and find the slider to wake it up, then perhaps hit another couple of buttons to get to the phone, then another to the contacts or favorites, then another one to bring up the keypad if your checking messages, etc --- it really does require more attention I think. Oh yeah and then if you misdialed, hit that aggravating call forwarding dismiss thingy that pops up before you can hit the end call quickly.

Trustt me, I ain't knocking it -- I love it and wouldn't trade for anything in the world but i do wish it was a little easier to place a call while driving.

hence the velcro on the wheel arrangement.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
OOO my, that is so funny i am in starbucks and just burst out laughing thanks for the laugh.mobile office man

i got a jeep so it will work for me.:cool:

JiggyMatt

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
lol man. your steering wheel beats the hell outta my HUD video! man thats crazy! what do you keep it there for? the only wat i can see that you would be able to effectively watch video is when youre making a left turn! lol. Anyone try my HUD trick yet? its actually pretty cool! why is everyone freaking out? At least i can see the road when I watch it, this other guy is looking down the whole time! WAYYYYY more dangerous!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
lol man. your steering wheel beats the hell outta my HUD video! man thats crazy! what do you keep it there for? the only wat i can see that you would be able to effectively watch video is when youre making a left turn! lol. Anyone try my HUD trick yet? its actually pretty cool! why is everyone freaking out? At least i can see the road when I watch it, this other guy is looking down the whole time! WAYYYYY more dangerous!
hmmmmm... ya'll only got one way velcro in Vegas. here in SC we have the kind that allows you to attach things at any angle you wish -- vertical for phone, horizontal for web or video -- its pretty neat how it works -- i'll be glad to send you some :p :cool: :) :) :)

and, no, I don't watch videos with this set up, at least not yet -- do listen to podcasts and music tho.... and have been known to send a short text or read a board, even make a quick post.