Healthcare workers out there?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pulsetsar

Sep 19, 2007
Any healthcare workers on the board that have come across medical software for the iPhone? In particular, it would be great to have an epocrates equivalent or a medical dictionary for the iPhone. A medical calculator would be great too. Hope some young, talented programmar is working on this! I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Any healthcare workers on the board that have come across medical software for the iPhone? In particular, it would be great to have an epocrates equivalent or a medical dictionary for the iPhone. A medical calculator would be great too. Hope some young, talented programmar is working on this! I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
I assume that you're talking about native, not Web-based applications: although there are some excellent Web-based apps, you can't be online all the time.

The biggest impediment to development of native apps, in my opinion, is Apple's lack of support. Apple hasn't promised that updates won't break applications, nor have they provided developers with tools to keep their software current. Moreover, installing third-party software means using utilities that Apple doesn't support.

I'm sure that this won't prevent some enterprising developers from creating native medical utilities, but it would be a lot better with support from Apple.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
No, there aren't any iphone-based medical apps that I know of.
However, most medical websites, including online.epocrates.com, can be accessed directly through Safari. Skyscape, that has offered medical books for PDA's for many years, now has a site dedicated to the iPhone.
Of course, unlike the other versions (Palm, etc), you have to be online to access it. And just like the other versions, you have to pay for it!*
Epocrates is free as usual.

*However, unlike my Skyscape books on Treo, I never get a crash or an endless loop on iPhone!

Sep 17, 2007
There is also another thread about this topic with a link that is a petition to get ePocrates on iPhone. It looks like they have at least had a bit of success.:laugh2:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

This webapp just came out.